so I Googled what is the universe expanding into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't really know because there is no way to reach it. You would have to greatly exceed the speed of light, I suppose. First time I stumped Google
grin2.gif

From the Carmeli equations, I view the fabric of space as bounded with the fabric of space-time moving at a space-time-velocity.

The size of our universe is otherwise known as the Hubble volume (size of observable universe) and based on how far light can travel since the big bang.

Very likely much more outside the Hubble volume that we will never see including possibly an infinite number of universes including virtually exact duplicates of our own.

Other theories suggest that for every black hole that exists there is an additional universe with possible different physical laws. Our universe could be the direct result of a super large ancient black hole that originally formed and grew to super galactic dimensions in another universe.

Other theories like string theory suggests limited number of other universes in the additional dimensions suggested by string theory.

Last edited:
Outer space never ends. It goes on and on and on without there ever being an end.

Try to wrap your head around that.
crazy.gif

We can't define or explain the expanding universe/outer space with our current limited knowledge of the physical sciences. Theories are just that.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
The size of our universe is otherwise known as the Hubble volume (size of observable universe) and based on how far light can travel since the big bang.

Very likely much more outside the Hubble volume that we will never see including possibly an infinite number of universes including virtually exact duplicates of our own.

Other theories suggest that for every black hole that exists there is an additional universe with possible different physical laws. Our universe could be the direct result of a super large ancient black hole that originally formed and grew to super galactic dimensions in another universe.

Other theories like string theory suggests limited number of other universes in the additional dimensions suggested by string theory.

I believe the accepted size is about 46 billion light years. We can't see beyond it and the universe for us is actually shrinking as everything moves further away from us. Think of it as being a point on a loaf of bread that you bake. As it bakes any point expands further away from another point.

Lots of theories out there, but there's a few generally accepted ones. The outlandish ones have no proof.

The eventual end of the universe seems to be the heat death and the actual end of time as there will not even be any energy left at that stage to even measure time. One of the last things to endure would be black holes as they slowly shrink over time due to Hawking radiation.

https://www.livescience.com/33646-universe-edge.html

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Lots of theories out there, but there's a few generally accepted ones. The outlandish ones have no proof.

The eventual end of the universe seems to be the heat death and the actual end of time as there will not even be any energy left at that stage to even measure time. One of the last things to endure would be black holes as they slowly shrink over time due to Hawking radiation.

https://www.livescience.com/33646-universe-edge.html

Thermodynamically, it still has to have expanded to the point of zero temperature.

The OP is asking what's outside that expanding barrier...

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
We can't define or explain the expanding universe/outer space with our current limited knowledge of the physical sciences. Theories are just that.

Not well acquainted with modern cosmology, astrophysics, etc.?

Or with the meaning of the word "theory" in science?

My question is where did all these atoms/molecules come from in the first place that actually made planets/stars/galaxies? What did that matter originate from? Where exactly is space located? What exactly is space and how did all that form?

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
My question is where did all these atoms/molecules come from in the first place that actually made planets/stars/galaxies? What did that matter originate from?

It more or less percolated out of the initial event. There's been a lot of work done on this in recent decades.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Where exactly is space located?

Depends what you mean by "where", "space", and "located".
wink.gif

Pondering this stuff makes my head hurt. The potential that our galaxy is just an experiment / hobby for some alien life form - like ant farms is too scary. Having said that; it might make the current POTUS seems less significant in the big picture?

I'm not sure where the Universe ends, but the late Douglas Adams postulated there is a restaurant there.

Incidentally I believe the known Universe revolves around me.....

Claud.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Quote:
The standard Big-Bang cosmological model is based on the idea that the Universe is homogeneous and isotropic. One sort of homogeneous spacetime has the geometry of a 3-sphere (like a regular sphere, but with one more dimension). In these cosmological models, if you travel far enough you get back to where you started.

Which by all accounts is astonishingly true. This is an old article but a good one, and illustrates the point very well:

http://pages.erau.edu/~reynodb2/blog/Abbott_CosmologicalConstant_SciAm.pdf

Flat as a pancake. A very, very flat pancake.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Big bang is really a joke, but mostly accepted by the scientific community, that alone should tell you what they really know.

Why is it a joke? Everything in the observable universe points to an origin for the expansion, and a point in time when it occurred. In fact, there is nothing that indicates otherwise.

Note that I didn't indicate what initiated the expansion since that is another subject altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back