Frantz Oil Filter experts - advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
My question is for Frantz vintage Bypass Oil Filter experts - advise needed.
I bought it used from ebay (without filter element) and it came with 2 orange plastic rings: one was inside of Frantz housing at the bottom and another was suppose to be installed on top of filter element (into the housing between filter element and cover). At the moment I put inside Frantz genuine synthetic filter element.
Pictures:
Ring installed at the bottom of Frantz housing:

Ring, which is supposed to be on top of filter element (top view, I guess):

Ring, which is supposed to be on top of filter element (DETAILED top ring view from the side, which should face to filter element, I guess):

All pictures/videos, which I saw on BITOG and on youtube, shows, that Frantz filter have metal retainer ring (spring metal ring at the bottom left of this page): http://dev.frantzfilters.com/products.html
Video of metal retainer ring, which I don't have (see from 02:00 to 03:10):

Questions:
1. Do I need retainer ring or I could use second plastic ring to seal filter media and avoid bypass of oil between housing and filter media?
2. My mechanic forgot to put second plastic ring of top of filter element - should I install plastic ring or should I contact Frantzfilters.com to get metal retainer ring?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks for your advise.
The problem is, that Frantzfilters.com don't have metal rings at their actual site: http://www.frantzfilters.com/shop/parts/
And the question is : "What is better: my second plastic ring or new style spring metal retainer ring?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: obak
Thanks for your advise.
The problem is, that Frantzfilters.com don't have metal rings at their actual site: http://www.frantzfilters.com/shop/parts/
And the question is : "What is better: my second plastic ring or new style spring metal retainer ring?"

You are correct, they no longer make the metal snap rings for the Frantz filter. I have read that it's not required from many users I have followed while researching the Frantz filters. You can always make them yourself from old metal clothes hangers, or buy the actual gauge rod and make them from that. I think your plastic ring is supposed to replace the snap ring to seal the roll to the canister at the bottom. I use the snap rings in the 3 units I have and had to make one as it was missing as well and replaced by a large oring. I'd try out that plastic ring you have and see how well it works.:) Hard to say which one works better.

Also, remember folks.... Obak is in the Ukraine.

...it may not be as easy for him/her to get the parts they need.

Originally Posted By: A310
Originally Posted By: obak
Thanks for your advise.

You are correct, they no longer make the metal snap rings for the Frantz filter. I have read that it's not required from many users I have followed while researching the Frantz filters. You can always make them yourself from old metal clothes hangers, or buy the actual gauge rod and make them from that. I think your plastic ring is supposed to replace the snap ring to seal the roll to the canister at the bottom. I use the snap rings in the 3 units I have and had to make one as it was missing as well and replaced by a large oring. I'd try out that plastic ring you have and see how well it works.:) Hard to say which one works better.

Thanks, will proceed without second ring on top. I have freshly rebuilt engine with new oil and will look later on filter media to see if the colour of oil is evenly distributed.
P.S. I was in Kelowna few years ago - VERY nice place!
08.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Also, remember folks.... Obak is in the Ukraine.
...it may not be as easy for him/her to get the parts they need.

Thanks, nowadays it is not a problem at all, just takes 2 more weeks to deliver.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back