0W-16 is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"rampant engine failure"
"pile of failed engines"
"elephants's graveyard of failed engines"

are all logical fallacies brought to the "debate', to try to bolster a position.

No-one is suggesting that these strawmen are part of the engineering continuum for CAFE, nor a logical conclusion.

Only one POV keeps wheeling out the strawmen in defence of the trend.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Others...
"motor molasses"
"flow"
Esso Cold start Videos...

I just had to...
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
and the change from headlight dimmer on the floor to the turning signal stalk. It’s human to question change.

I miss the floor dimmer!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LOL I look at it this way. By the time I'm ready to buy a car calling for 0W16 oil, the early adopters will have done all the real world field testing. If any changes are made EG: like Ford recently did in some of their vehicles from a 20 grade to a 30 grade I'll be well advised, maybe.
wink.gif

I feel the same. I have actually switched to only buying new cars now. I don't want to get a used car that has been run on 20wt. Some maintenance neglect might be tolerable with a 5w 30, but i don't want one that might have missed an oci or two on 20wt.

Buying a small suv in the next few months when the kitchen remodel is done, suv will be new.

Last edited:
"rampant engine failure"
"pile of failed engines"

are all logical fallacies brought to the "debate', to try to bolster a position.

And, is the way the masses rationalize things they don't understand or have no interest researching. Strawmen or not.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
"rampant engine failure"
"pile of failed engines"

And, is the way the masses rationalize things they don't understand or have no interest researching. Strawmen or not.
wink.gif

except strawman exaggerations aren't "rational"...they are designed to end "debate" when one can't understand or use the facts. It's why advertising works on the dumb masses.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
0w0 is air injection

*rawr* you noticed my bulge?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think there is two problems... One people are reluctant to change what has always worked for them. Two, it's because OEMS sometimes rush something without long enough testing and then back away from it when it causes problems and who is left with the bill? Sometimes the customer.
wink.gif

+1

Yes I objected to 5-20 in 2 Dodge Journey company cars. I took care of them because maintenance was free and I never knew when I might purchase one after 3 years. Oil cap said 5-20 but the engine made a [censored] of a racket on it. I would always tell the guy at Jiffy Lube that I wanted 5-30. If I forgot, I knew on the drive home from the noise. Changed the oil every 3-5k. The V6 sounded good on 5-30.
YES I still wish the high beam switch was still on the floor!!!
Yes today I use 5-20 in cars that call for it. This was when Chrysler first started jumping on the 5-20 café bandwagon and I never trusted that company.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
0w0 is air injection

At work I use TMP Turbo vacuum pumps that spin at 60,000 to 90,000 RPM. They run magnetically levitating bearings, well balanced north and south poles, so that no parts ever touch. They spin in a magnetic field, it's a completely oil free system. There is a bit of air in there at first, but once they start pumping, even this air is removed by the vacuum effect. Pure field levitation, no mechanical contact.

If they ever go out of balance and touch at 90,000 RPM, they do grenade and instantly destroy themselves.

"rampant engine failure"
"pile of failed engines"

No-one is suggesting that these strawmen are part of the engineering continuum for CAFE, nor a logical conclusion.

Only one POV keeps wheeling out the strawmen in defence of the trend.

I enjoy what you bring to the debate.

Unless Toyota for example makes an engine with different specs between North America and the rest of the world I always look at what they specify in Australia and Puerto Rico for example.

It is so easy to jump on a bandwagon, but the truth is physics properties do not change based on nationality. The EPA is pushing manufacturers To Prioritize one aspect of transportation above all others. Compromises are being made.

Ignore my signature, it’s out of date.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
"rampant engine failure"
"pile of failed engines"

wink.gif

except strawman exaggerations aren't "rational"...they are designed to end "debate" when one can't understand or use the facts. It's why advertising works on the dumb masses.

Or posting outdated and very dodgy (possibly even doctored or faked) papers as some sort of proof or explanation, which is also pretty "strawman"...

BTW, your original post in all this is the very definition of "strawman", as you post random tidbits completely out-of-context...

Because, in my deeply flawed memory of 90' alcohol imbibing, I recall Mobil 1 released 0W-30 in the mid-1990's or so with much brew ha along with Motorcraft and Castrol, who also released a syn 0W-30...

Here's the paper at the SAE site...
http://papers.sae.org/922342/

The curve is EXACTLY what the stribeck curve tells you should happen.

The paper stated that they FORMULATED oils to meet those grades...not that they bought off the shelf 0W20s...it's in the description.

BTW, did you read the thread that you linked to ?

DanielLD was claiming that Stribeck doesn't work, when he doesn't even grasp what it is, per his later admissions...that his lab would have used it if it did....how would a UOA lab use the Stribeck curve in UOA ???

BTW...hanging off his coat-tails is pretty unbecoming, as I've been in touch with his "mentor"...that's all I'll say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back