2003 Oldsmobile ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about buying a 2003 Oldsmobile with only 67000 miles on it, is the 2003 Oldsmobile a OK car ?
I know the engine and the transmission are solid, but beside that I have no idea, he is selling it for $3300.

I mean it's not a total POS but it's hardly an Oldsmobile. Actually, it not a proper Olds at all.

It's not absolutely awful like a Chrysler Concorde or something, but you can do a lot better.

Americans make terrible cars. They really do. Now trucks, they make great trucks. Silverados, F150s, those have been great vehicles for 20 years. The American cars? Meh. Not so great.

I'd go Japanese... My Camry was $2,100 with 194k miles a little over 2 years ago, miles doesn't mean a lot.

Low miles to be sure but probably not worth 3.3K.
The early ecotecs also timing chain problems and this is not a cheap or easy replacement.
The Alero was a pretty decent car to drive by all accounts, but nobody really wanted them new and they've become pretty uncommon on the roads. I don't recall seeing one on the road in the past six months.
Low volume new in a pedestrian car equals low value used, especially in one as old as this.
For 2K this would be a good buy, but not at the asking.

Contrary to popular belief that old car with low mileage means the car has been sitting for a long time somewhere for whatever reason.
The question is why has it been sitting? If the reason is has been in a garage because it is not running, then it is not good.
Not running a car that can start cause a lot of leaks where a lot of the seals/o-rings are failing.
Don't ask me how I know.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
For twenty five, why not?
You'd surely get $2500 in use out of it and you could drive a piece of GM history.
One of the buff books actually ranked the Alero above the Accord at the time.

If you google the phone number the guy's also selling a camry, so it's a dealer or a guy making a living flipping cars.

No way would a private owner shine the headlights up that well.

The driveway is wet with water from just pulling it in after washing it.

If you look at it ask to see the title RIGHT OFF then ask him to explain his short duration of ownership. Then ask him how many cars he sells per year. If you keep him on the defensive it'll be more fun for you.

It'd be an ok car for $1500 if you need a car. The timing chain situation can be partially remedied with a new tensioner, accessible from outside the engine.

I've actually seen an Alero Coupe with a stick and a 4 cylinder. Very rare I imagine but more reliable I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back