Arrested ER nurse gets $500k

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of it was that she was protecting her patient who was another Cop. They were trying to violate the rights of one of their own "brothers" and it was an ER nurse who was trying to protect her patient.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Like when a thug sues PD ...

Nope, not like that at all

So where does that money come from ?

You're not serious are you?
The city and the university.

Last edited:
So where does that money come from ?

Unfortunately the tax payers that needs to change. The idiot that arrested her is looking for work at least!

I always thought when the PD gets sued, the thugs are the cops who did the misdeed.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

I always thought when the PD gets sued, the thugs are the cops who did the misdeed.

The cop was the thug of misguided "authority" in this case. Police departments need to keep their thugs under control, and getting sued is a way to send that message.

An officer issuing an illegal order needs an equal or stronger penalty than the one below him carrying it out.

There also needs to be a "national no-badge list" so that these two can never work as cops anywhere again. As it stands now they will simply rinse and repeat in the next town over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
An officer issuing an illegal order needs an equal or stronger penalty than the one below him carrying it out.

There also needs to be a "national no-badge list" so that these two can never work as cops anywhere again. As it stands now they will simply rinse and repeat in the next town over.

I am grateful that you know that.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Does that $500K come out of the officer's own money or is it paid out through tax dollars? Because if tax payers are having to pay for officers doing a bad job then the system is broken.

Pull quote from the above linked article: "(Nurse) Alex Wubbels reached the monetary settlement with Salt Lake City and the University of Utah, her attorney said."

The system is broken. If (fired) Officer Jeff Payne and/or his commander James Tracy had to pay the monetary settlement, the THEY would have had to retain legal counsel and most certainly would have been mentioned by name.

As usual, John Q Taxpayer gets the short end of the stick. What would be delightful justice (but won't happen) is for Nurse Wubbels to use this settlement as evidence that her civil rights were violated and sue (former) officer Payne in civil court for $5 million. She should be rewarded his house and retirement pension and HE is qualified to work at McDonald's.

At least the world knows what scum he is.

Settlements should come from the police pension fund. Settlements cannot usually be used as evidence in lawsuits. (I'm sure there was "no admission of wrongdoing".)

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Does that $500K come out of the officer's own money or is it paid out through tax dollars? Because if tax payers are having to pay for officers doing a bad job then the system is broken.

I think you know the answer to that. Taxpayer pays doubly for this incompetent [censored]

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
With 500K greenbacks, I would be saying,,so long hospitals and be on a nice beach or something similar and let others kill themselves in the ratrace to the top...of course this is IMHO

Yea..for a year maybe after lawyers and taxes. And if she quits..no health insurance. Hopefully she buys a nice vehicle and puts the rest towards retirement. As an ER nurse in a University Hospital she is making some nice coin.

This does show that she was not greedy!

Hopefully, she puts some of the money toward changing her name (to something like Smith) and moving, preferably to a different state. Maybe invest in hair dye and colored contacts.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
With 500K greenbacks, I would be saying,,so long hospitals and be on a nice beach or something similar and let others kill themselves in the ratrace to the top...of course this is IMHO

I would put the 500k away for retirement, she should continue to work where she is. She would be almost untouchable at her current job. If she leaves, she may not be very marketable, just because of the publicity. Other health systems may not take a chance on hiring her.

And hope none of the SLC cops decide that she needs to die for what she did to a "brother officer".

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Eddie
$500,000 of tax payer money is WAY too much IMO. Ed

It is an incentive to have the government do all that it can to prevent such adverse behavior by its officers including training and the threat of immediate dismissal for infractions as heinous as this one was possibly with loss of pension and even criminal charges.

You're kidding, right?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
500K $ is too much money for the injustice committed. A public apology and reprimand or firing of those responsible SHOULD be adequate. I read often about minorities wrongly incarcerated for 20 years finally being exonerated and then get nothing. NADA.

When I think of lawyers I too often think of class action suits that benefit the law firm and not the clients. There are the scum. I did read about some limitation on the lawfirm's "take" in class action. I asuem this is state or county regulated. I have not heard about a federal law regarding limitation.
But I am far outside of my zone here.

My wife suggested she would settle for $50, if the officer involved committed suicide by disembowelment in front of her.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
500K $ is too much money for the injustice committed. A public apology and reprimand or firing of those responsible SHOULD be adequate. I read often about minorities wrongly incarcerated for 20 years finally being exonerated and then get nothing. NADA.

When I think of lawyers I too often think of class action suits that benefit the law firm and not the clients. There are the scum. I did read about some limitation on the lawfirm's "take" in class action. I asuem this is state or county regulated. I have not heard about a federal law regarding limitation.
But I am far outside of my zone here.

That's usually because of an Alford (sp?) Plea. Basically, when the government's chances start looking bad , and an inmate is looking like he's getting really close to defeating the government and winning freedom (and money), the government cuts an Alford Plea deal which allows inmate to go free without ever getting a penny.

This is very good for the inmate in the sense that he doesn't have to keep taking his chances with a politician (elected judge) at getting freedom. Alfords don't usually take a long time. If a prosecutor offers an Alford, that individual is usually walking out that day.

There have also been cases where the court system was so messed up that a person who went all the way still can't get a judgement or settlement.

$500k is a perfect amount. Why? Because what lawyers say is true. Things don't change because of media embarrassment. They don't change because people are angry. They change because a corporation, organization, or municipality gets hurt in their pocket.

The writing is on the wall. Case law is on the wall. Let one of your dumb donkey officers use arrest as a means of vengeance or other injustice, and you're going to lose a half a million dollars.

Now it won't be a problem they're "working on". They're going to fix it or go broke.

To a city, $500K is a rounding error. $50,000,000 might get their attention. (But probably not.)

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Good because if there is no pain they wash it over. Plenty of pain from taxpayers about their ill run police department and its policies and acceptance of bullies. Clean house.

Smartphones video everywhere are what will eventually make corrupt police clean up and will make them shone . Unfortunately as evidenced in the last few years the stupid impulsive ones who should have long been removed don't realize this and give us news.

20 years ago in South Florida cops carried a plastic toy gun they would 'throw down' after shooting an unarmed suspect. It got so bad the FBI had to investigate why so many dead suspects had a toy gun on them.

Today with cellphones they can no longer toss a toy gun next to a dead suspect...

Yet another example why bent cops need to die, horribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back