Pet peeves while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Part of the "rules of the road" are to drive within the speed limits too.....apparently its ok for people to go 100+ in your world.

Also there are many articles about how left lane hogging is also illegal and a violation of the slower traffic keep right rule.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/growing-number-states-fine-slowpoke-drivers-highway-fast-lanes/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/left-lane-driving-discipline/

well as long as I am well above the speed limit I will continue to do it and there is a not a [censored] thing you can do about it anyway. I'm not policing people....just tired of the right lane [censored]. Given how crowded our roads are, it is not as if we can afford to leave one WHOLE lane open just so you can travel 100 mph. Sure at 2:00 am, ok, but during rush hour it's not realistic nor cost effective.

You're left lane obstructor? No surprises there. Clearly you may lack the common sense to drive a car.

Diesel trucks purposely blowing black smoke.
Those cartoon characters on back windows [censored] on something.
People throwing cigarette butts or trash out their window.
Loud bass on cars that sound more rattle than bass.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Here's a few of mine:

People slowing down to 5 mph to make a turn.

Prius drivers constantly going 5 under the speed limit.

Anyone in the left lane going the speed limit or less and not moving over when possible.

Not having headlights on in the rain.

Not turning left on red when going from a one way to a one way.

Stopping at a roundabout when there's no traffic. It's a YIELD.

Anyone else?

Well - the other day I was waiting to make a right turn. I was at a direction with a stop sign, but another driver in the direction without a stop just stopped dead cold right in the intersection just past me. At the time I had no idea what was going on. The driver wasn't looking at me like a "you first" situation. The best I could tell was that she was trying to figure if she wanted to make a turn there, but at that point she way past most of the perpendicular street and it was way too late to make a safe turn. It also looked like she was talking to her passenger, which made me think they were discussing where to turn. And in the meantime there are vehicles piling up behind hers on a busy road on the way to the freeway. I was wondering why she couldn't just find a place to park and then figure out where she was.

Same day I saw another pet peeve driving thing. There was someone who committed to turning before the intersection was clear, coming from a direction with a stop sign. Then he stopped in the middle of the intersection. In the meantime someone in my direction (I was planning on making the same turn) inches forward. Guy coming from a stop should see this since it's right in front, but I guess he's got tunnel vision worried about cars coming fast and not cars turning. So while he's there this guy just goes forward and CRUNCH. I decided to take an alternate route.

The other things:

Bicyclists blowing through stop signs. I've been cut off by many over the past week.

At a roundabout I see some drivers just tail the driver in front (where there's a stop sign) making it impossible for me (50 feet away) from entering the intersection behind the car in front of the second car. Also there's the all-way stop (one direction includes a common U-turn) and I've seen the same thing happen with oblivious drivers who just cut me off instead of waiting their turn.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Bicyclists blowing through stop signs. I've been cut off by many over the past week.

I was behind a car once that went through an intersection that didn't have a stop sign, going the other way had a stop sign and a bicyclist blew though it and ended up ramming the car on the door. The bicyclist fell off but didn't seem to be too badly injured as he got right up afterwards. Left a nice dent in the car. Wondered what happened. I'm sure the bicyclist didn't have any insurance, but it was clearly the bicyclists fault as they blew the stop sign and the car didn't have one.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I've noticed that people who drive cars are inadvertent to trucks whether it's 18 wheelers or pickups. So many close calls because some moron can't afford to be behind me for 5 seconds so they rather cut me off and slam on their brakes just to pull in to a fast food store.

Had to repeat this quote again since this time I was pulling a trailer and to add insult to injury it was an oil burning [censored] Evo that cut me off and proceeded to punch the gas leaving a cloud of smoke as we go up on the freeway off ramp. As the lane opens up to several lanes I floored it past his POS to regain my position in the front.

All [censored]:
57.gif
15.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Part of the "rules of the road" are to drive within the speed limits too.....apparently its ok for people to go 100+ in your world.

Also there are many articles about how left lane hogging is also illegal and a violation of the slower traffic keep right rule.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/growing-number-states-fine-slowpoke-drivers-highway-fast-lanes/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/left-lane-driving-discipline/

well as long as I am well above the speed limit I will continue to do it and there is a not a [censored] thing you can do about it anyway. I'm not policing people....just tired of the right lane [censored]. Given how crowded our roads are, it is not as if we can afford to leave one WHOLE lane open just so you can travel 100 mph. Sure at 2:00 am, ok, but during rush hour it's not realistic nor cost effective.

You're left lane obstructor? No surprises there. Clearly you may lack the common sense to drive a car.

I think he's got a point. So many drivers these days seem to think they have the right to speed, and if someone is preventing them from speeding, the speeder believes they have every right to get irate and/or tailgate. If I'm traveling on a multi-lane highway/freeway, I stay out of the left lane except when I'm passing a slower driver. Many times when I'm overtaking a slower driver, some mega speeder will come flying up from behind and tailgate me. I stay right where I'm at until I'm done passing, and I don't care how irate the mega speeder gets. PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEED!

I was behind a car once that went through an intersection that didn't have a stop sign, going the other way had a stop sign and a bicyclist blew though it and ended up ramming the car on the door. The bicyclist fell off but didn't seem to be too badly injured as he got right up afterwards. Left a nice dent in the car. Wondered what happened. I'm sure the bicyclist didn't have any insurance, but it was clearly the bicyclists fault as they blew the stop sign and the car didn't have one.

If someone has auto insurance, it typically covers liability for stuff that happens on a bicycle.

Just yesterday I watched some moron on the Southern State Parkway stand up and tuck his shirt in his pants, using both hands at the same time. He was doing about 70 mph when he pulled this stunt. The thoughts that raced through my head will land in the fires of [censored]. Darwin at its best.

If someone has auto insurance, it typically covers liability for stuff that happens on a bicycle.

Makes sense. I wonder if you have to pay the deductible unless you get the bicyclists info and then the insurance company would just sue him for the damages.

Makes sense. I wonder if you have to pay the deductible unless you get the bicyclists info and then the insurance company would just sue him for the damages.

When my daughter was in middle school she ran into the front fender of a car stopped at a stop sign. Her mom's homeowner's insurance covered the damage. Thinking back, maybe we should have fought it because the vehicle was stopped past the bold white line indicating the stopping point.

I can think of one more. Near where my parents live there's the intersection going to fairly well used thoroughfare. Homes aren't required to have sidewalks on the side streets, and there's this one turn where there's heavy privacy vegetation at the two corners from one direction. Even if a driver is stopped right at the line, that gives about 40 ft visibility to the left and maybe 50 ft visibility to the right to see cross traffic. If the city could order that vegetation cut back it would be a heck of a lot safer either making a turn or even going straight. There should be at least 120 ft visibility if the vegetation was removed at the corners.

I can think of one more. Near where my parents live there's the intersection going to fairly well used thoroughfare. Homes aren't required to have sidewalks on the side streets, and there's this one turn where there's heavy privacy vegetation at the two corners from one direction. Even if a driver is stopped right at the line, that gives about 40 ft visibility to the left and maybe 50 ft visibility to the right to see cross traffic. If the city could order that vegetation cut back it would be a heck of a lot safer either making a turn or even going straight. There should be at least 120 ft visibility if the vegetation was removed at the corners.

Write a formal complaint to the city because it's a safety hazard. I've heard of cities getting sued over someone getting killed in a car wreck at a blind intersection like that.

After driving for 45 years the only thing that gets my blood boiling is people fiddling with their cell phones but this isn't limited to just driving, I see it all the time in public where people are so engrossed into texting that they are not paying attention to anything/anybody else, it's just rude. If you feel the need to do this or it's actually important go sit down or move to the side so people don't have to deal with you.

On a lighter side and something I think is funny is when approaching a green light the car ahead of you starts slowing down anticipating the light will turn red and they make it thru and I don't, I see it all the time.

Last edited:
Ugh- first snow of the season here in MN and all driving knowledge goes out the window. Where do I begin?

No headlights/taillights? Check
Forgot how to use the turn signal? Check.
A small snow gun-slit in the windows? Check.
And biggest peeve of all- driving in the left lane (inter/intra-state) going 15-20mph under? Check.

Going to be a fun one this season with the dashcams.

There are turn restrictions on streets near my kid’s school during specified morning and afternoon hours. They effectively create a one way traffic flow in a circle along these narrow streets when there’s a steady stream of cars. It doesn’t specifically make them one way, but only a few cars legally go against the predominant direction making a three point turn or exiting from a driveway. Some drivers don’t see or ignore the signs. Often it’s commercial vehicles. This morning one driver kind of jammed her way in and got honked at.

This is just another pet peeve.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
Drivers that can't do 55 on the open road, but drive 45 when it drops going into town where it's 30.

This. I always hope there is a cop in the town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back