oil test kits....which one to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Blackstone sends free test kits.

The kit is free but you have to pay when you send it in.

The other kit are not free but you don't have to pay again when you send it in.

You have to pay, the timing is different with different company.

I think they started paying for postage now.

They have, with USPS tracking. And if you have any old kits they will send you the new labels for them.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I like Blackstone, easier to read and it seems like a real person is analyzing it.

The other companies sound robotic and don't write up much.
Except (unless something has changed at Blackstone) the other companies (like Polaris) are ISO certified and carry other certs which are clearly posted their websites whereas Blackstone's are not, which may mean they are not certified.

Blackstone does not accurately count fuel dilution or soot and they do not include TBN or TAN without extra cost. So $19.50 for Polaris via Amsoil
with full testing
or $38 for a similar test at Blackstone or in the simplest terms--2x the cost for lesser service (fuel dilution and soot calculation).

Here is a link to amsoil's website, no where is there a FULL oil lab test for $19.50, the only one close is the VALUE test which does not include fuel dilution.. The FULL test is $24.50 without a pre-paid shipping label.

EDIT: here's the link...
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/oil-analysis-services/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: researcher
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I like Blackstone, easier to read and it seems like a real person is analyzing it.

The other companies sound robotic and don't write up much.
Except (unless something has changed at Blackstone) the other companies (like Polaris) are ISO certified and carry other certs which are clearly posted their websites whereas Blackstone's are not, which may mean they are not certified.

Blackstone does not accurately count fuel dilution or soot and they do not include TBN or TAN without extra cost. So $19.50 for Polaris via Amsoil
with full testing
or $38 for a similar test at Blackstone or in the simplest terms--2x the cost for lesser service (fuel dilution and soot calculation).

Here is a link to amsoil's website, no where is there a FULL oil lab test for $19.50, the only one close is the VALUE test which does not include fuel dilution.. The FULL test is $24.50 without a pre-paid shipping label.

EDIT: here's the link...
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/oil-analysis-services/
Preferred member pricing is $19.50 for Kit 06-EA (I bought 3 of them last week) and Blackstone's kits do not include postage either.

Preferred member pricing is $19.50 for Kit 06-EA (I bought 3 of them last week) and Blackstone's kits do not include postage either.

ahh.. thanks for letting me know! I see it was for a membership for like $10 more, then get the discount. I might actually be doing that since I'll be doing a lot of testing with them.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: researcher

ahh.. thanks for letting me know! I see it was for a membership for like $10 more, then get the discount. I might actually be doing that since I'll be doing a lot of testing with them.
thumbsup2.gif

You save enough on the first UOA versus Blackstone's prices to pay for the membership. I usually buy gear oil, 2-cycle oil, and synthetic transmission fluid throughout the year from them as well. In the end it will pay off.

...and Blackstone’s kits do not include postage either.

Blackstone does include postage now.

Though USPS sent it from Atlanta to Indy and back to Memphis...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Blackstone does include postage now. Though USPS sent it from Atlanta to Indy and back to Memphis...
So their prices went up more?

Blackstone does include postage now. Though USPS sent it from Atlanta to Indy and back to Memphis...

Same price when I paid online for it...

Same price when I paid online for it...
How much was it with TBN included? I still see $38 listed for a test with TBN included and I do not see any mention of it being postage-paid.

They are high, no argument from me on that, my ONLY point was that they do now include postage. (also as stated above, if you have old containers they will send you labels for them.)

The containers are trackable, which is how I know one of mine is on a rather circiutous route to Fort Wayne.

I could probably drop stuff off at ALS (though its farther than just down the road).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Waste of time and money, unless you own some exotic car or engine and just testing your daily driver, 48 yrs of car ownership and not one oil related problem, just change your oil on a regular basis and you'll sleep well
lol.gif

Spending ones money is for enjoyment.
Some might consider paying for TV a waste of money when you can get TV for free.
Some might consider sports programming a waste of money, after all its just a ball game.

Everything is relative.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Spending ones money is for enjoyment.
Some might consider paying for TV a waste of money when you can get TV for free.
Some might consider sports programming a waste of money, after all its just a ball game.

Everything is relative.

thumbsup2.gif
11.gif
exactly! can't agree more!

Does anyone have any experience with Schaeffer's lab? I was just given two free sample kits from the rep local to my area, but I don't know much about their reliability/accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back