does anyone change batter at a set TIME??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
maybe we should only discuss replacing an aftermarket battery after some time elapsed. the oem one seem to hold up better.

Some do, yes. The original Panasonic battery in my ECHO lasted 12 years. Even then it was still working, but just starting to get weak.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
maybe we should only discuss replacing an aftermarket battery after some time elapsed. the oem one seem to hold up better.

Some do, yes. The original Panasonic battery in my ECHO lasted 12 years. Even then it was still working, but just starting to get weak.

But the NUMMI Vibe/Matrixes came with AC Delco batteries that were notoriously awful. Seems we need genuine Japanese manufacture to get the good foreign batteries.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Often batteries fail without warning especially in the heat. I was in KC one day when my wife called from central Iowa and said her car wouldn't start. I asked if she could see an Oreilly's from where she was and she said no but there's a NAPA half a block away. I said go buy a battery and have them install it for you. She said how do you know it's the battery? I said because it's 6 years old. Sure enough. After that I have replaced them @ 5 years as it's often not convenient when they fail.

I typically run to failure or near failure on automotive & OPE batteries.

I've had more than 1 vehicle ever since finishing college, and AAA membership.

Right now the flooded OEM battery in my wife's Mustang has been in service just under 7 years and still performs & tests good. When it goes I'll repla e it with a Group 48 AGM.

The OEM JCI AGM in my truck has been in service over 5 years and still performs & tests strong. When it goes I'll replace it with same size 94R AGM.

Nope, I wait for them to die.

My Sonata's battery died this month, I could tell it was cranking slow for 2 weeks. It's a record keeper though, it made it 39 months, was an AGM.

I replaced it with a non-AGM Exide Extreme for $140 OTD through my mechanic's parts, the AGMs were $240 OTD at the parts stores. 40 month free replacement, I say bring it on!

I have one of those testers that you dial in the cca and it shows the condition of the battery
It's never let me down
I check the batteries in my family's cars about annually and no one has ever been caught with a dead battery except for my stepson who felt I change parts on my cars prematurely
He has zero mechanical skill and since he did not listen to me, he got stuck with a dead battery on mother's day when we had reservations
Of course I had to go get him, Couldn't thank him enough

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I have one of those testers that you dial in the cca and it shows the condition of the battery
It's never let me down
I check the batteries in my family's cars about annually and no one has ever been caught with a dead battery except for my stepson who felt I change parts on my cars prematurely
He has zero mechanical skill and since he did not listen to me, he got stuck with a dead battery on mother's day when we had reservations

Which one did you get? I notice there are cheap basic ones that just do a load test for around $20, but then there's another type that seems to tell you CCA and those start at $45 on Amazon. Of course you could go really crazy and get the type that they have in the auto parts store which go for $100+ but that seems like overkill, for that kind of money, you mind as well just buy a new battery.

I bought a couple of used vehicles that had the "7 year" batteries. (Autocraft Gold, Blain's Platinum, Johnson Controls). They failed right at 7 years. (They had the round month / date stickers on the side). I replaced them with the same JCI 7 year batteries, but plan to replace them around the 6 year mark.

Used to do 5 years but decided to push it and see how long they actually last. 5 years 6 months! So back to 5 years it is, have 2 replacements next year.

When I had less money, when they absolutely would not hold a charge overnight anymore. Now that I'm a bit better off, when they start to crank slower, usually on cold morning after they've performed fine all summer/fall.

Now that my wife got a new car that does not allow her to leave the lights on, I expect to be replacing them a lot less often!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
It's never let me down

Which one did you get? I notice there are cheap basic ones that just do a load test for around $20, but then there's another type that seems to tell you CCA and those start at $45 on Amazon. Of course you could go really crazy and get the type that they have in the auto parts store which go for $100+ but that seems like overkill, for that kind of money, you mind as well just buy a new battery.

I have the Midtronics MDX-600. I know it's total overkill for home use but I used to use it professionally. I still bring it to work from time to time and use it here.

Last edited:
I wait for some sign of impending issues. I have an old Scangauge II in my '02 Ranger... when voltage regularly reads low and starting is slower, I replace.

I put a new battery in my '94 after the last one got slammed against the rad support because it was not secured except by the cables. Whoops. There's a strap now.

It's never let me down

I have the Midtronics MDX-600. I know it's total overkill for home use but I used to use it professionally. I still bring it to work from time to time and use it here.

Yeah, total overkill when you just have a couple cars. Newest model is about $400, mind as well just buy batteries instead of spending that kind of money.

It's never let me down

Yeah, total overkill when you just have a couple cars. Newest model is about $400, mind as well just buy batteries instead of spending that kind of money.

Here's even more overkill... My brother has one too.

Even with with a pulse shooter battery tester it still won't determine the imminent death of a battery. I did so much battery replacements/exchanges this year due to a bad cell and the batteries were around 3-4 years old.

I just carry jumper cables and replace whenever they fail.

I just replaced the original Hyundai made battery in the wifes Elantra.
It was original to the car. Made in 2010.
The battery was just fine, but old.
Winter is coming and it can get down to -20 degrees here.
I don't want to deal with a dead battery at 7AM on a really cold morning.
I picked up a Champion at Pep boys on sale for $100.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back