Comcast Home Phone Line Package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comcast called and asked if I would like to sign up for "Home Phone Service"
lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Comcast. Wifi and cable. The price is basically the same with home phone service.

I heard that it's faster to get a job at Comcast to fix your own technical issues than it is trying to get service from them both on the phone and in person. I'm in Canada where Comcast isn't and so if I'm hearing that here it has to be real bad. Giving away services for free is even funnier.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I heard that it's faster to get a job at Comcast to fix your own technical issues than it is trying to get service from them both on the phone and in person. I'm in Canada where Comcast isn't and so if I'm hearing that here it has to be real bad. Giving away services for free is even funnier.
crackmeup2.gif

You would think they arent, but Comcast services are being adopted in Canada by some telecoms. More specifically their X1 TV platform is being licensed to a few Canadian providers...

crackmeup2.gif

I'm not a Comcast fanboy. However-they already have a line running to your house if you have any service with them. The phone service is VOIP. The cost for them to provide that service is minuscule.

Just received the X-1 boxes as well. It's a great system. No more hunting for shows-either live or ones you want to DVR. Had a bunch of shows we DVR on our old box. Got the new box-Mind you-I don't even pay attention to what networks our shows are on. Just spoke in to the voice remote "find such and such" it pops up-you hit record. Not sure of the name of the show? Say shows that have "Movie star name" they pop right up.

It's a decent system. While I know their service varies greatly regionally-I have had good service from them.

Last edited:
If you subscribe to ISP at home, you can subscribe to any VOIP company.
A lot of them out there.
I am using PhonePower which is about $150 (incl. Taxes) for 1 year of service.
There are a few almost free service out there also.

I know this is not answering your question but just making suggestions if you want to economical.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
crackmeup2.gif

You would think they arent, but Comcast services are being adopted in Canada by some telecoms. More specifically their X1 TV platform is being licensed to a few Canadian providers...

No I mean they aren't here selling next to Rogers, Bell, Shaw etc. Infiltration with technology is a whole other story.
thumbsup2.gif

I have Vonage VOIP, have for several years. Two things I like, they transcribe all voicemails to an email and send it to me, and they have an app for your smartphone that allows it to be an extension of your home phone. (Its not a forward.)

I have answered my NY home phone in Mexico.

crackmeup2.gif

No I mean they aren't here selling next to Rogers, Bell, Shaw etc. Infiltration with technology is a whole other story.
thumbsup2.gif

Well there are plenty of reviews online-and I have spoken to plenty of Canadians in campgrounds-and Shaw Direct doesn't seem to have any better reputation. than Comcast's

Last edited:
What they really want to do is to starve your copper line phone service provider so they might go away and therefore also drop semi high speed DSL altogether. The local phone company here (in financial trouble) petitioned the state to no longer be the "provider of last resort" in a few towns.

Even if you're a legacy "voice" customer you matter to Ma Bell.

CKN where did I say Canadian Telecom was the bee's knees? It's one of the worst industries for company reputation and a great Canadian past time is hating the big Telco's.

That said Shaw Direct has been decent with me. They could improve huge but it's the lesser of the evils available here.

crackmeup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Agreed! Although having dealt with our own, Im not sure Comcast would be that much worse!

Probably in the minority here but I have had Comcast for cable and internet and have not had any issues. Twice in 2 years the service was interrupted, not for the fault of Comcast, and they texted updates on when the service would be reconnected. Neither time did it take longer than 3 hours.

It is there marketing model and pricing that I object to. New customers get the best deals existing customers get rate increases at the end of the contract.

Originally Posted By: Spector
It is there marketing model and pricing that I object to. New customers get the best deals existing customers get rate increases at the end of the contract.

Very True-but you just call them up and tell them Direct T.V.'s current promotion and they will give you the ComCast current customer deal. That's what I did. And they are not any different from other companies in this practice either.

Yea-you shouldn't have to do this-but that's the way it works for now.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Very True-but you just call them up and tell them Direct T.V.'s current promotion and they will give you the ComCast current customer deal. That's what I did. And they are not any different from other companies in this practice either.

Yea-you shouldn't have to do this-but that's the way it works for now.
That's better than Spectrum/Charter-if you're not a new customer, you get ripped off-no deals! I actually was at WM to pick up something today & Spectrum had a couple salespeople working-dude asked me who my ISP/cable provider was-I just laughed & kept right on going!

I use the "free" Ooma phone service.

I bought the ooma telephone adapter/answering machine box for like $49.

Service runs $4.00 per month on auto pay for unlimited calling.

Sounds crystal clear, better than any cell phone.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I use the "free" Ooma phone service.

I bought the ooma telephone adapter/answering machine box for like $49.

Service runs $4.00 per month on auto pay for unlimited calling.

Sounds crystal clear, better than any cell phone.

Let's be clear-that OOMA, Vonage, Magic Jack,etc., are all VOIP (Internet) you lose power you lose your phone.(Some modems have a very short battery backup) Many recommended for anybody in fragile health to have a good old fashion landline (from a telcom) in cases of emergency and then a cell phone.

Last edited:

my beef is how Spectrum/ Roadrunner don't publish their normal non-promotional rates on their own website. They make me log into my account to see the rates... I can't just "shop around" published rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back