13 Hyundai Elantra - M1 EP 0w20 - 7365 miles - Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Originally Posted By: wemay
That non-GDi 1.8L is an extremely reliable engine.

Hyundai, now being related with "extremely reliable" is very strange to me. I guess they got their s**t figured out!

Yep and the 1.8 is no longer available!

Originally Posted By: Spector
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Originally Posted By: wemay
That non-GDi 1.8L is an extremely reliable engine.

Hyundai, now being related with "extremely reliable" is very strange to me. I guess they got their s**t figured out!

Yep and the 1.8 is no longer available!

The elantra is available with a 2.0 MPFI engine. It's what made us choose that model when we bought a car for my son. Looks like the same bore, but longer stroke than the 1.8

Last edited:
actually a decent report for once.

1. Change the air filter more often. The silicon is close to where most labs will flag it. I change mine every 10K as it ensures maximum efficiency and minimal wear. Allowing the engine to breathe better will reduce timing retard which creates fuel dilution. Meaning your oil can go much longer. Silicon in the crank case is almost always abrasive, keep that in mind.

3 months for 7k miles is some serious driving. I'm assuming almost all highway. Another +1 for miles vs hours. Looks like 6 months and 15k would be a good target next time.

Your cars last forever in California. Hot temperatures, lots of highway driving, no humidity.

I am not surprised the report came back so good after only 3 months.

Originally Posted By: danielLD
actually a decent report for once.

1. Change the air filter more often. The silicon is close to where most labs will flag it. I change mine every 10K as it ensures maximum efficiency and minimal wear. Allowing the engine to breathe better will reduce timing retard which creates fuel dilution. Meaning your oil can go much longer. Silicon in the crank case is almost always abrasive, keep that in mind.

There is some evidence that dirty filters filter better. A clean filter will have higher flow, but a dirty filter will have a higher filtration efficiency. My owner's manual says when driving in dusty conditions change the filter LESS often instead of more often, so I believe it.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Hyundai doesn't allow for 0W oils (5W or 10W only) - not sure why , just say'n ...

I've never understood why, I may run 0w-30 in my '13 after the 100k warranty is up. I have 5w 30 pp in there now.

Hyundai doesn't allow for 0W oils (5W or 10W only) - not sure why , just say'n ...

To my knowledge Ford doesn't mention 0wt oils either, but M1 0-20 oils have the Ford spec.

Originally Posted By: tig1

To my knowledge Ford doesn't mention 0wt oils either, but M1 0-20 oils have the Ford spec.

So does the M1 0W-30 AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back