Cabin Air Filters - how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only put on about 5-7 k miles a year, so I replace them every 2 years. My car has two of them. Thankfully they are extremely eash to access and replace.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
My kia calls for a new one every 15,000 miles, seems like a short interval but I do it anyways. I would just go by what ever your owner manual says.

I just surpassed the 15k mark on my 'civ and I''m holding out to 20k but I am gonna try to clean it out for the next 5k.

Last edited:
How much do you care about air quality?

Fiberglass filters at home- then 100k seems ok.

Good quality fabric ones at home- then a quality aftermarket (USA made) every 30-50k at 3-5 years.

Carbon 3M type at home- then a factory piece bought from the dealership yearly or 12-20k miles sounds superb.

At one-year-old and 17K miles, the cabin air filter in my Ram truck was brown and covered in a layer of dirt along with pieces of leaves and sticks. I am going to check mine yearly from now.

Unless your car is parked in a garage and never gets driven, cabin air filters do not seem to be affected by mileage. It is the time and driving / parking conditions that dirty up a cabin air filter.

I was gifted a 2006 Kia Sportage that my parents bought new. Wasn't even aware it HAD a CAF until I changed it at 175xxx miles. That thing was GROSS. Didn't really notice any difference in odor or air flow but I felt better for having replaced it.

On the '16 CRV that recently got traded in, I found a mouse nest in the CAF housing and had to break out the shopvac to get rid of the debris. We had some mouse issues in the garage 2 winters ago, apparently they made a home in the car too.

I'd say it depends on where you live. I checked mine a couple of times a year, if it looked bad I change it. In my vehicles it is easy enough to access. After a couple of inspections it was easy enough to determine that mine last about 2 years.

Almost 5 years ago I posted my thanks to the member who linked to www.discountfleetsupply.com

I went to their site today to check on availability for family member's cars. A 2007 Volvo V70, a 2012 Mazda3 and a 2016 Mazda 3.

Two of the filters are available in case lots only. The Volvo's cartridge oil filter is a case of 12 and the '16 Mazda's cabin air filter comes in cases of 6.

The prices looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back