Thread locking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CARB thing was troll bait due to its "obvious-to-anyone" expense and few auto enthusiasts would want more smog regulation.

I would not want to think less of someone who offers good mechanical or lubrication advice because his political/ sexual/ religious views are polar opposites from my own.

The mods here are good and seem to practice "broken window policing" in knocking stuff down while still small.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I would not want to think less of someone who offers good mechanical or lubrication advice because his political/ sexual/ religious views are polar opposites from my own.

Well said, I agree.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I thought this thread was going to be about Loctite and other thread locking componds.

I was all set to answer a host of questions. What a disappointment.
frown.gif

Same.

Perhaps the topic should be "what's this about weak forum topics?". You couldn't add "forum" to your title?

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I come here for oil stuffs not politics. If it's related in the industry I'm perfectly fine with it.

It's until about the 4th comment down where some vague attack about some political idea/group/individual gets the ball rolling from there. I find that post has pretty much always existed on a topic that happens to have politics in it, which just makes it insufferable for the rest of the adults.

JeepWJ19,

You took the words right out of my mouth. Very well stated!

Thanks,

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I come here for oil stuffs not politics. If it's related in the industry I'm perfectly fine with it.

It's until about the 4th comment down where some vague attack about some political idea/group/individual gets the ball rolling from there. I find that post has pretty much always existed on a topic that happens to have politics in it, which just makes it insufferable for the rest of the adults.

JeepWJ19,

Thanks,

Wayne

Some very good threads have been locked because someone posts a comment that a mod deemed "political". Why not simply delete the offensive post, allow the thread to continue and ban the perp for a week?

Anything political not allowed. Even my wife’s large family bans chat about politics and religion at family get togethers. Plenty of other outlets for that. So many other topics.

Also a strife comment thrown in real life or forums and it goes south!

I agree. There is a reason that R/P is prohibited (and /S to various degrees) on most forums.

My only objection to thread locking is that threads are sometimes locked for infighting that could contain good discussion if the infighters were simply dealt with and the thread cleaned up. I understand it is a lot of work (having done it) but on certain subjects you can pretty much count on the same players time and time again...

Oh and yeah, I thought it was going to be about locktite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I thought this thread was going to be about Loctite and other thread locking componds.

I was all set to answer a host of questions. What a disappointment.
frown.gif

Same.

Perhaps the topic should be "what's this about weak forum topics?". You couldn't add "forum" to your title?

shhhhhh, about the weak forum topics. bitog wouldn't be as good a site, if there were no drama queen and comedy threads.

o.p. -- you state that "politics are strictly forbidden for some reason," ... . the reasons for no rsp topics are irrelevant. this is a private site, and Helen/mods make, and enforce the rules.it's not really a difficult concept to grasp.
there's no sense in asking the members questions about locked threads. if one has a beef/question about the rules, go to the horse's mouth -- p.m. a mod.

things of this nature are why I could/would never be a mod on a site.not even if I was paid. I don't have the patience for babysitting.

at any rate, have a good day, all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I would not want to think less of someone
who offers good mechanical or lubrication advice because his political/ sexual/ religious views are polar opposites from my own.

Then don't and there won't be a problem.

JeepWJ19,

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne,

How come you can't just deal with the offending post or poster?

The registration process requires new members to read the forum rules, but here they are again. ALL members need to periodically remind themselves of the rules.
---------------------------
FORUM RULES

1. Anyone who submits a registration is an applicant. Applicants may be accepted for membership after their registration is reviewed by the owner or his designated agent. No person may become a member unless he or she agrees to abide by these rules. Any member who does not agree to abide by these rules may have his or her membership terminated without notice by the owner in his sole discretion. No applicant has any right to membership, and whether or not to accept a new member shall be determined by the owner in his sole discretion.

2. This forum is open to the public, and any person who agrees to abide by these rules is welcome to become a member. The forum is the private property of its owner, and no member shall have or gain any ownership interest in the forum as a result of becoming a member. All decisions regarding the membership and operation of this forum shall rest in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents.

3. These rules may be changed any time that the owner deems it necessary to do so. The owner’s decision to change the rules shall be at his sole discretion and is not subject to any form of outside review. The owner will make a reasonable effort to ensure that rule changes are posted in a timely fashion, however, the owner may enforce any rule, even if it has not yet been posted on the forum. Each member is responsible for informing himself or herself of these rules and any changes to them. Members are strongly encouraged to review the rules periodically, as ignorance of these rules, or any changes to them, shall not be an acceptable reason for violating them.

4. The general intent of these rules is to allow the owner and his designated agents to ensure that this forum remains a legal, healthy, and pleasant place in which members may freely exchange their ideas, within the bounds established in these rules.

5. Each member agrees that he or she shall not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of any person’s privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Whether or not a member violates this rule, and whether he or she should have their membership suspended or terminated as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner’s decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum.

6. Members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by the member, or the member has the explicit consent of the copyright holder. If the forum owner, or his designated agents, believe that material posted in this forum may be in violation of this rule, they may immediately remove such material, with no notice, and then require the responsible member to show documentation sufficient to establish whether or not the material was properly posted. After reviewing the situation, the decision of whether to “re-post,” or to allow the “re-posting” of material removed from the forum under this rule, shall rest in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members agree to be completely responsible for any copyright violations and to hold this forum, and its owner, harmless for any damages that may result from a copyright violation.

7. Members agree that the use of this forum to further the propagation of “spam” in any way, to flood, to advertise without permission, to participate in chain letters or pyramid schemes, or to otherwise solicit without permission, is absolutely prohibited. Members are cautioned that engaging in any of the described behavior shall be grounds for immediate suspension or termination of membership. Whether or not a member violates this rule, and whether he or she should have their membership suspended or terminated as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner’s decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum.

8. Members agree that, except with the owner’s prior consent, they shall not solicit or promote any products services or other sites by posting direct links of any sales pages of any products in this forum. Discussions of any products are allowed and encouraged, and links to Technical Data or MSDSs are allowed, provided that it follows the topic discussed. Members agree not to self-promote (either in postings or in member profiles or in user names) for personal or business gain within the message board unless previously approved by the owner or his designated agents. Members agree that they shall not use information supplied within the message board to solicit or promote any products or services via email or any other method. Members further agree to not gather public email addresses from member profiles for the purposes of spamming or soliciting members in any other way. Members agree to not promote or link to other forums that provide message boards or chats. Any posts uploaded to this forum become an integral part of it, and upon posting, become the property of the owner.

9. Members acknowledge and agree to all of the following:
A. that it is impossible for the owner and his designated agents to confirm the validity or accuracy of posts on this forum.
B. that the owner and his designated agents do not actively monitor all posted messages and shall not be responsible for their content.
C. that the owner and his designated agents do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, usefulness, or safety of any information presented.
D. that it is possible that the use of some information posted may expose persons to injury or damage property, if used improperly, unreasonably, or without adequate care. In exchange for the privilege of participating in this forum, members agree that they alone shall be responsible for any injury or damage resulting from the use of unreliable information that may have been posted in this forum, and members waive any claim that they might otherwise assert against this forum, its owner, or his designated agents.
E. that the messages posted in this forum express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable, or in any way violates these rules, is requested and encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately.
F. that the owner or his designated agents have the absolute right to remove objectionable content, at any time, if they determine that removal is necessary, appropriate, or otherwise in the best interest of the forum. The owner’s and designated agents’ decisions under this rule shall be made in their sole discretion, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. The owner will make a reasonable effort to ensure that materials that should be removed from the forum are removed in a timely fashion. Members assistance in this regard will be sincerely appreciated.
G. that each member shall be responsible for the content of the messages they post in this forum. In exchange for the privilege of participating in this forum, members agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, its owner, and any designated agents, from any and all claims, in any way related to the operation of this forum. This provision shall apply both to claims by a member against the forum, its owner, or designated agents; and to claims of any other person or entity allegedly harmed in any way by a member’s posting of any information or material in this forum. Members agree that their participation in this forum shall signal their acceptance of these provisions.
H. that this forum reserves the right to reveal any member’s identity (or any information stored at the forum) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by the member. Members agree that it is the legal obligation of this forum, its owner, and his designated agents, to follow the law and comply with any form of process requiring the production of information about the forum or its members.
I. that with each posting, a member’s IP address is recorded, and that in the event of a violation of these rules, or any applicable law, the owner, or his designated agents, may contact your ISP or any law enforcement agency and reveal the recorded information, if it is deemed appropriate to do so.

10. This forum will not sell or give member information to anyone for any kind of mailing or solicitation and members have the option to not disclose their email addresses to other forum members. Members must, however, maintain a correct email addresses on file with the forum at all times, so that if the owner or a designated agent needs to contact the member, they may. If attempts to contact you do not work, then the forum, its owner, or his designated agents shall have the right and will suspend your profile, without any further notice, until the member responds in what the owner deems to be an appropriate fashion.

11. Upon registration, members may select their username. Members are advised to choose wisely and select a name that is appropriate by broadly accepted standards. Whether or not a selected username is appropriate and may be used shall be determined in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. Members agree that a decision to reject or disallow the use of a member’s chosen username is absolutely final, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. User names that contain any form of a domain name, company name, or product name will not be approved.

12. Upon registration, members must also select a password. Members shall never give their password to another member, or to any other person. Members shall be held strictly responsible for any rules violations perpetrated by any other person using that member’s account and password. Members agree that they shall never use another member’s account to post messages or browse in this forum.

13. Upon registration, members will be asked to complete a detailed profile. Some responses are mandatory, and others are optional. Any information submitted, whether mandatory or optional, shall be accurate and appropriate. Any information which the owner or his designated agents deem inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise unacceptable, will be removed without notice, and the member will be suspended from posting until the owner is satisfied that the member will abide by these rules in the future. Whether or not a member violates this rule, and whether he or she should have their membership suspended as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner or his designated agents. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner’s decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum.

14. Members agree that they have gain no vested, legally enforceable rights or expectations by joining this forum. By accepting membership, members agree that they waive any and all claims that they may have against the forum, its owner, or his designated agents, for any cause of action arising from or related to the operation of this forum. If a member has a complaint or concern about forum operation, or any decisions of the owner or his designated agents, they may be submitted to the owner or a designated agent for consideration. Any such submissions should be made by email, should state clearly the nature of the complaint or concern, and the proposed response. All such submissions will receive fair consideration, but the owner’s decisions are final and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum.

15. The intent of these rules is to reserve to the owner and his designated agents, the maximum authority to operate this forum so that it will remain a useful and positive resource for anyone who cares to become a member and participate. Any member who violates these rules shall be subject to have his or her membership terminated in the owner’s sole discretion. Whether or not a member has violated any of these rules, and whether his or her membership should be terminated as a result, shall be decided in the sole discretion of the owner. By accepting membership in this forum, members specifically agree that they shall not have any right to have the owner’s decision under this rule reviewed in any way outside this forum. Members agree that any such right deemed not extinguished by this rule, are irrevocably waived.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

JeepWJ19,

Thanks,

Wayne

Some very good threads have been locked because someone posts a comment that a mod deemed "political". Why not simply delete the offensive post, allow the thread to continue and ban the perp for a week?

We do this often, however it's a the discretion and workload of our mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back