Police Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only found out about this thing recently...and wow, I kind of want one. 883 Sporty with a full tour pack, even has the turn signals where they should be from the factory-just needs a pair of Road King or Roadster shocks to be perfect. So, has anyone ever actually seen a police Sporty? I haven't...even some H-D dealer people don't know about them.

2013-Harley-Davidson-XL883L-SportsterPolice2.jpg

Last edited:
You can't get riders in Canada to buy Sportsters if you put a gun to their head. Big Twin or go home. Even the cops. So, no idea.

The question I would have, though, is how does it handle the weight when those bags and accessories are loaded? And how comfortable is that riding position and the foot points over the length of time you would actually need those bags filled with stuff, or is it just commuter duty? And if so, do you really need that tank?

Maybe, if you dropped that backrest / rear bag, removed the crash bars, put some forward controls on it, and changed the tank, it could be OK. Just my way of thinking, yours may be different. I like Arctic White as a colour, generally on HDs.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That is a utilitarian Harley with a whopping 42 horsepower. A Toyota Camry V6 can outrun that.

Hmmm ... 42 HP. To me, that sounds like the cam timing is different than regular Sporty's, which might mean more torque lower in the power band to deal with the added weight in Police Service, which is a heavy package no matter what bike is under it. Classic Police Big Twins were 50 HP and heavier bikes, and ran 13 second quarter miles (shed of the bags and police gear ... 50 lb sirens, anyone?). I wouldn't automatically see that as a problem, it does depend on how it's implemented.

It's definitely a bike you would have to ride, maybe bring along 50 lbs worth of rice in bags (cleaner than flour, not trying to make a joke) and load the thing up and see what happens in a reducing radius corner before you commit to buy.

See, now you've got me curious.

562 pounds wet. Ouch.
Almost 49 ft/lbs at 4500 rpm. Should be fine. Throw some money at it, and you can easily increase that number by 10~20% without going into the cases.

Gotta kill that tank. Do you really need 4.5 gallons at 50-ish mpg?

I dunno. Were it me, and I was looking for that size bike while still showing some class, I'd be looking at a new Triumph, maybe a Guzzi. But I'm not you.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
You can't get riders in Canada to buy Sportsters if you put a gun to their head. Big Twin or go home. Even the cops. So, no idea.

The question I would have, though, is how does it handle the weight when those bags and accessories are loaded?

Fine, without a pillon rider.

Quote:
And how comfortable is that riding position and the foot points over the length of time you would actually need those bags filled with stuff, or is it just commuter duty? And if so, do you really need that tank?

Should be fine, with a set of highway pegs. (I despise forward controls.)

Quote:
Maybe, if you dropped that backrest / rear bag, removed the crash bars, put some forward controls on it, and changed the tank, it could be OK. Just my way of thinking, yours may be different. I like Arctic White as a colour, generally on HDs.

That is the OPPOSITE of what I want...basically, my plans are either a police Sporty raised with Roadster or Road King shocks, or a Roadster with a tour pack added. Yes, I will be "that guy" touring on a Sporty!

That is a utilitarian Harley with a whopping 42 horsepower. A Toyota Camry V6 can outrun that.

Hmmm ... 42 HP. To me, that sounds like the cam timing is different than regular Sporty's, which might mean more torque lower in the power band to deal with the added weight in Police Service, which is a heavy package no matter what bike is under it. Classic Police Big Twins were 50 HP and heavier bikes, and ran 13 second quarter miles (shed of the bags and police gear ... 50 lb sirens, anyone?). I wouldn't automatically see that as a problem, it does depend on how it's implemented.

It's definitely a bike you would have to ride, maybe bring along 50 lbs worth of rice in bags (cleaner than flour, not trying to make a joke) and load the thing up and see what happens in a reducing radius corner before you commit to buy.

Just a smaller engine...an 883 Sporty is good for a mid-14 second 1/4 mile. I'm fine with that, especially with the considerable range boost over a 1200.

Back when I was younger and dumb, I street raced someone on a Skirtster from a traffic light in my stock WRX and pulled ahead of him. Don't be surprised when other Harley riders don't wave back.

Well, I can tell you're pumped, so not sure what I can add besides what opinion I've already offered. Enjoy.

I just want a tour pack, mid controls, and highway pegs...the police model seems to be the only one with all of those. (Even the 1200T only gets half the tour pack and no crash bars.)

Back when I was younger and dumb, I street raced someone on a Skirtster from a traffic light in my stock WRX and pulled ahead of him. Don't be surprised when other Harley riders don't wave back.

You have AWD, of course you did. A stock 1200 Sporty runs mid 13's, a Roadster a hair quicker, an 883 with a 1200 kit or a 1200 with 883 primary about a 13.10-13.20.

And you should ignore everyone and get what YOU want. What makes you happy is what matters.

Yeah, except I can't FIND one. A police Sporty seems to be a unicorn.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Just a smaller engine...an 883 Sporty is good for a mid-14 second 1/4 mile. I'm fine with that, especially with the considerable range boost over a 1200.

A good tuner can work wonders.
I got 60-62 MPG on my 1993 1200 Sportster (bored 883).

I won't get that with a 1200...not with the rubber-mount engine (50lbs heavier), E10 gas, and a tour pack. An 883 should manage close to 60, though.

Not sure why a police dept. would even want one.

My guess is it's got 7:1 pistons from way back in the day.
Police often drive rather slow, and the heat build up would
quickly kill a regular sportster engine. Perhaps a smaller carb
or FI body.

My 2¢

The question I would have, though, is how does it handle the weight when those bags and accessories are loaded? And how comfortable is that riding position and the foot points over the length of time you would actually need those bags filled with stuff, or is it just commuter duty? And if so, do you really need that tank?

But then it would be like an Iron .

2014 Sportster Superlow. Hammer 1250 with 10.5-1 30 degree reverse dome pistons. Ported heads with big valves. Valve springs good to 8000 rpm, Hammer 560 cams, SuperTrapp supermeg exhaust. Progressive 444 rear shocks, Progressive front shocks, Superbrace fork brace. 1200 gearing, Around 110 HP, very quick and a joy to ride. 50 MPG. Life is good.

Last edited:
I did a quick google search and there was a couple of dealers in Maine that claim to have these in stock.
Also your dealer can order you one. Or they can do a search for you.
The Milwaukee Police department uses a number for these. Easy to get down a ally or up on the sidewalks if needed. The officers that ride these bikes or any of the motor cops regardless of brand or model KNOW HOW TO RIDE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back