CVTs love or hate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a fan. I have had good experience with my Maxima, and have rented a 4cyl Altima in Georgia last month that was really nice too.

I'm not convinced that the 'never change the fluid' is right for any automatic regardless if it's CVT or regular style. I'm going to service my CVT at 80k kilometres.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I'm not convinced that the 'never change the fluid' is right for any automatic regardless if it's CVT or regular style. I'm going to service my CVT at 80k kilometres.

Agreed for any transmission!

If manufacturers would stop programming fake shift points into them and let them act like a CVT is supposed to, I'd like them a lot better. I'm sure with time they'll become very reliable as they're a much simpler design than a normal automatic.

I enjoy the new Altima's because of the CVT, I liked the old one with the constant high RPM and I like the new one that shifts. The new Altima CVT is programmed to act and shift more like a normal transmission. I'm not convinced that shift pattern makes it better, more efficient or faster, but it certainly feels more traditional.

It's also kind of fun at full throttle, as it shifts many times, always near redline, and not much RPM drop. Sounds like a dragster when it does that. I think it "sounds like" it shifts 10 times on the way up to speed.

Last edited:
I like Toyotas. Used to drive a manual, but the MPGs are so much better with a CVT couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I'm not about to watch a 7 min video, what shouldn't I be doing in my next Nissan rental?

Then don't
21.gif

When I had the recalls done on my Forester yesterday they gave me a Subaru Outback with the CVT as a free loaner. It was actually quite nice, it mimicked a cog box fairly well but kept the engine in the power band better, was very smooth and quiet. Overall I was impressed with the entire vehicle, including the CVT. Had to give it back at end of day though
smile.gif

Wife's 2006 Ford 500 has one, and it has never given us a lick of trouble. Supposedly takes a different type fluid than a standard planetary gear type automatic, so we had the fluid and filter changed out twice, both by the dealer.

Don't care for them. I also don't understand these "fake shift points". My GF's Altima has this, but it only does it half the time. Sometimes it acts like a regular CVT and sometimes it "shifts". I don't get it. I like the nice firm shifts in my Marauder.

The "5 never do" video cracks me up. Like those are common don'ts for most all transmissions?

Regardless, I've owned and put quite a bit of miles combined on 3 CVT equipped vehicles at this point. They did feel and sound odd to me at first, but I grew to love them. Our 2016 Nissan Quest with the VQ35DE and CVT does mimic shift points to a degree in that you can see it on the tach, but you can't really hear or feel it. I prefer the feel and performance of the CVT in the large, very heavy and almost 300hp minivan over how my Subaru performs, feels and sounds.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
I like Toyotas. Used to drive a manual, but the MPGs are so much better with a CVT couldn't pass it up.
How much better MPG is it? I've heard so many CVT horror stories, I can't believe it would be worth it, unlike a decent sized hybrid CUV (adapted for plug-in).

I like the one in my 4-wheeler, but have disliked them in any automotive application I've experienced them in.

I like the CVT in my Honda CRV: it's unobtrusive and completely unobjectionable. The engine is pretty-well isolated on this car so usually the only way you're aware of the CVT's constant search for the "perfect" rpm is by watching the tach. Not sure I'd like it as well on a sportier vehicle, though.

With the new multi-speed transmissions (9 speeds and up) they are going to be shifting all the time. I would rather have a CVT.

Of course-since these news cars will have new technology that make many BITOG members run the other way-it won't matter how many speeds the new transmissions have because the vehicles they will (try to) keep alive and own will have a 4 or 6 speed auto tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back