Why synthetics...?? this is why..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay, so what if I told you that our long departed '86 Civic was just as clean or maybe cleaner at 90K miles using 10W-40 conventionals available from 1986 through 1990?
Nothing magical about Grp III oils although most are pretty good.

Seriously you have pictures?

I agree one hundred percent. Tig1 adds good knowledge and experiences here. I respect someone who has been consistent in running a product for 4 decades with great results. Not too shabby.

Ohh and I hope you are doing good and feeling good today sir.

Last edited:
Here's my 300ZX oil fill hole. The camshaft lobe is the shiny thing down in the middle of the hole:

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Originally Posted By: tig1
My 2007 Fusion 2.3 has 214K miles and the cam area looks like new at 10K OCIs. Runs like new as well. M1 0-20.

Lol good ol tig1 the Mobil 1 parrot. Will show up in any thread regarding engines with their valve covers off.

I appreciate Tig1's posts and insight.

I'm not sure who exactly you are, nor why you would think it appropriate to post such an unusually abrasive response.

You make it sound like I need to be some magical forum wizard with 5000+ posts (like u) in order to post my opinion. Hah

Quote:

Yes JJ seems to have his head buried in a pile of something!

Lol, this coming from a guy that claims in another thread "he can do whatever he wants because he lives in a free country" don't u think its ok for me to voice my opinion and call it as I see it? Derp

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Here's my 300ZX oil fill hole. The camshaft lobe is the shiny thing down in the middle of the hole:

That's kind of a personal thing for your car isn't it ? How would you feel if somebody took a picture of your fill hole and displayed it for the whole world to see ?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's kind of a personal thing for your car isn't it ? How would you feel if somebody took a picture of your fill hole and displayed it for the whole world to see ?
grin.gif

I wish I could thumbs up your post. Def need more users like this.

No doubt you’d be a small percentage of the population doing a 10k OCI that far back in time …

Ohh yeah I totally agree. Bigtime. Hardly anyone even thought of doing that in the late 70s.

grin.gif

Good point about the pics of fill holes. Next time I take a pic of a fill hole I'll think twice, and maybe drape a rag or something around it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ohh yeah I totally agree. Bigtime. Hardly anyone even thought of doing that in the late 70s.

For myself the thought of a 10K OCI was crazy in 1978, but with the price of M1 5-20 back then($5 a qt) I gave the 10K OCI thing a shot. The rest is history for my engines, and 10K became my normal since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jj51702

grin.gif

I wish I could thumbs up your post. Def need more users like this.

Merk' LOLOLOL

So let’s get to the real question: which of these engines are actually lasting longer because they used synthetic over dino? I appreciate pretty and clean pictures of engines but of all the engines posted in this particular thread, we’ve also seen examples of the same engine going that distance on conventional too. What did Gary Allan used to say about having the cleanest engine in the junkyard?

Last edited:

grin.gif

Haha it's ok,she's a bit of an exhibitionist
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay, so what if I told you that our long departed '86 Civic was just as clean or maybe cleaner at 90K miles using 10W-40 conventionals available from 1986 through 1990?
Nothing magical about Grp III oils although most are pretty good.

Seriously you have pictures?

Do I have pictures from 1990?
Of course not. You'll just have to take my word on it.
I will confess that I did 3K drains at the time, so that may well have had something to do with it.
This car went on to do a bit over 200K in our ownership, although the second 100K was spent on synthetics.
Any oil changed on suitable intervals will keep an engine clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back