Opinions on Engine Flushes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (FLSH) helps restore fuel economy, increase operating efficiency and reduce emissions in gasoline and diesel engines, and automatic transmissions. Its potent, detergent-based formula cleans sludge and deposit build-up, promoting reduced oil consumption. AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush is safe on parts and can be easily disposed of with waste oil.

Quote:

Unlike many flush products, AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush features a multi-use formulation that dissolves and disperses sludge, varnish and deposits in both engines and automatic transmissions. Due to its detergent-based formulation, it can be easily disposed of with waste oil.

I'm sorry where are the "SOLVENTS"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Ok I think I got it.
If you engine doesn't need it then its ok to use.
If your engine does need it then its dangerous to use.

Anytime with the Amsoil IMO. Not with others.
smile.gif

A pal got a "clicky" 2001 Subaru Forester. He said he wanted to idle his warmed up engine for 10 minutes with an ATF oil fill.

I told him what I learned here; namely, that the super solvents are no longer in ATFs. He wouldn't listen. He rarely does.

The Dex/Merc had no effect and it drained fairly clean looking.

HISTORY:
He bought the Subaru (10 years old at the time) from a neighbor after a 30 second inspection.
The vehicle also exhibited common Subaru leakage.
He didn't want to bother going car shopping.

His brain box needs a flush.

I appreciate all the informative responses from you guys! What I am taking away from this is that flushes can be beneficial and not so beneficial just depends on the situation.

Originally Posted By: DimondPhilup
I appreciate all the informative responses from you guys! What I am taking away from this is that flushes can be beneficial and not so beneficial just depends on the situation.

Agreed.

I maintain my vehicle pretty darn well. On the DD's, I use the Civic maintenance minder and the Versa gets 5-7K OCI's depending on the oil I use. It's always at least a synthetic blend in both vehicles. I also try to do a summer run of 10w30 HDEO with 20% MMO to keep things nice and clean. In addition, I also like to do an ATF engine flush around 100k. I dump the old oil and replace with the cheapest ATF from WM and run at idle for 15 minutes. Needless to say, my engines are absolutely spotless inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back