Steering wheel wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you all use a steering wheel wrap ?? I have been doing it for the last 8 yrs or so. It does save the steering wheel from deterioration from hand sweat. It also keeps the steering wheel from being quite a blistering hot as well. So, I am curious how many of you all use one?? And what designs if any do you like??

I wrapped mine with cork/rubber gasket material and leather. Then took it to the local tannery and had them dye the leather to the color of the steering wheel.
steering_wheel-after.jpg

If the wheel isn't already leather wrapped from the factory I do like Wheel Skins brand. You can get exactly the right width for a very nice result, and you can order two-tone versions of your choice if you want a custom look. Well worth the few extra bucks and time and effort to install.

As long as it's adhered securely to the steering wheel.

Those kind that just fit over the steering wheel are a hazard.

I have a worn leather wheel that I wrapped a torn section between spokes in one layer of cloth tape (hockey tape) and one layer of silicone tape. It's been a few years now and it has held up well. It's the top of the wheel so it gets a ton of abrasion from turning with one hand. If I had a steering wheel that felt cheap I would definitely wrap the entire wheel with this process. It feels pretty cool and has enough grip to be grippy but not sticky and annoying.

Please don't install a steering wheel condom,those things are horrible. Maybe an auto upholstery shop can re-cover it?

I already have one on there. It is a leather one that fits very tight and well. Simple yet effective. Its price was $23 I think.
Hope you feeling better today too.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I already have one on there. It is a leather one that fits very tight and well. Simple yet effective. Its price was $23 I think.
Hope you feeling better today too.

Thanks!!
thumbsup2.gif
Finally today (the 4th day) I feel back to 100%!!

Your leather one sounds like a really nice one,I didn't even know they made them like that. I know someone who has one on her 98 Altima (a cheapy cloth puffy one) and it slips really bad when you steer the car. I think hers is a Walmart Special haha,those are the only ones I've ever seen. I think that car is nearing or has already passed 400,000 miles and has never been repaired! Everything still works and is all original.

How are those V6 Altima coupes? I'd thought about one of those,just couldn't find a good clean one with the V6. The V6 coupes are a little rare. Is it identical to the G35 coupe with slightly different exterior stuff?

I have a really cheap cover that slips over on my truck. I like it. The Mazda has factory leather. If it didn’t I’d use something probably from redline goods. I got my shift boot from them and I love it.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I got my shift boot from them and I love it.

Me too! I replaced the shifter boot on my 300ZX a couple of years ago and bought it from Redline. Superior to the OEM one and cheaper too!

My V6 VQ Altima coupe has been really, really good. It runs very good, actually is decently quick, and very pleased with it. You are right that these are not common cars. I have seen exceedingly few of them on the roads. I guess that makes it a possible collector car later on
smile.gif
I have had a number of people take notice of my car over the years. The previous owner did a nice upgrade on the grill of it. Made it look a lot better than stock.

I have one of those older style perforated vinyl lace on "Sport Grip" steering wheel wraps in my 1994 Ranger. The original leather wrap was peeling off bad. I cut the rest of it off, but the plastic rim below was thin by itself. The lace on wrap takes care of that without slipping, but it is ugly. Pretty comfortable though. I plan on redoing the leather or having it redone at some point, but an $8 Sport Grip will do for now.

Originally Posted By: widman
I wrapped mine with cork/rubber gasket material and leather. Then took it to the local tannery and had them dye the leather to the color of the steering wheel.
steering_wheel-after.jpg

Nice, that's certainly doing it the right way. Good idea on the gasket material for padding/backing.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
If the wheel isn't already leather wrapped from the factory I do like Wheel Skins brand. You can get exactly the right width for a very nice result, and you can order two-tone versions of your choice if you want a custom look. Well worth the few extra bucks and time and effort to install.

Yes! I have a Wheel skins on my '02. Really helps as I found the plain steering wheel to almost need a death grip to hold onto. My '03 isnt as bad because it doesn't wander like that car but Im still going to put one on.

I wasnt super happy with how it turned out looks wise, but it was my first go at stitching a cover on. Its very tight and doesn't move so good enough for me not to get another and try again.

Yeah, those steering wheel protectors at auto parts stores are loose and IMO dangerous when they slip while you are trying to maneuver.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How are those V6 Altima coupes? I'd thought about one of those,just couldn't find a good clean one with the V6. The V6 coupes are a little rare. Is it identical to the G35 coupe with slightly different exterior stuff?

No, those are entirely different. Fwd and rwd platforms. The 350z is identical to the g35.

The Altima coupe is just a standard Altima with 2 doors. Same platform.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

This ^
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I have one of those older style perforated vinyl lace on "Sport Grip" steering wheel wraps in my 1994 Ranger. The original leather wrap was peeling off bad. I cut the rest of it off, but the plastic rim below was thin by itself. The lace on wrap takes care of that without slipping, but it is ugly. Pretty comfortable though. I plan on redoing the leather or having it redone at some point, but an $8 Sport Grip will do for now.

Originally Posted By: widman
steering_wheel-after.jpg

Nice, that's certainly doing it the right way. Good idea on the gasket material for padding/backing.

Been doing fine for 8 years.

I took my BMW steering wheel to a local upholsterer and he replaced the original leather with local stuff for $35.
Leather_close-up.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back