E85 concentration level and pump signage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My usual station sells E10, E15, E30, E50 and E85. The E85 button says 51-83% ethanol concentration.

I wasn't able to make it to my usual E85 station so I used a station I haven't used before. Their E85 seems to be more gasoline than E85 as my truck has obviously reverted back to the gasoline tune (reduced HP/TQ). So, I have been trying to research the ethanol content minimum percentage required to trigger the E85 tune in my truck. Internet wisdom pins it between 70 and 80 percent.

Today I visited a third station in my quest for E85 with high ethanol concentration (still unable to make it across town to my usual station). I took the below picture at this third station. The button clearly states 70% minimum whereas the tag next to the nozzle cradle indicates 51-83%. I know the blend it down for the winter but which tag is the real/required specification?

I am planning on contacting my state's department of Ag (weights & measures) but per their website I am required to file a complaint to get it looked into. I just want to know which tag is what the station/blender has to follow.

E85.jpg

Im assuming the pump manufacturer makes one button for e85 across all of the machines, and the sticker is more of a state by state notice. Im assuming you guys get alot more options regarding ethanol, I havent seen a pump with it around me, all are 10-15% ethanol and below.

As you stated,depending on the time of year, E85 fuel's alcohol content varies greatly. During the winter to improve engine starting, the refiners greatly lower the percentage i.e in the 50% range-at least in Minnesota it does.. Maybe that is why the label shows the range. I agree the pump button percentage is probably from the pump manufacturer.

Non-related note: I used to build SBC dirt track motors. I had a few E98 fueled motors that would only start in cold weather (40-50 deg range) if we primed the carb with regular gas. They won't fire off on E98. They did run really cool on hot nights. Intake manifold would be ice cold at the end of a 20 lab feature in 90 deg weather.

If you get the low E85 price for fuel that actually has a higher concentration of gasoline in it, what's the basis for your complaint?

I often put E85 in my wife’s Grand Caravan. The 3.6 Pentastar loves it. I sniff it to check the alcohol content. It’s usually over 70%, since it smells like corn whiskey. Sometimes it’s closer to 50%, and smells like gasoline.

The percentage allowances at the pump are state certification directed. For instance, in Iowa, E85 must have a minimum of 70%, even for winter.

And all blends will usually test lower for ethanol than their pump label says. The other factor is that no blend may exceed their label number percentage. So to avoid the risk of having that happen, most blends are not quite the ethanol content percentage that they say they are. They can be under the percentage by a specified allowance, but they cannot be over the percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back