Redline updated SDS 90% PAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I missed it, I reviewed around 3:13 and I didn't hear him say anything about Redline being composed of a majority of Esters.

Again, any SDS is not a recipe or a formula disclosure, but a safety document telling you that certain components may potentially pose a health risk under certain conditions. So don't take the Safety Data Sheet as the exact percentages of components, only ranges of percentages of components.

But let us say for sake of argument, hypothetically, their base oils contain 10% of an ester component and 90% PAO.

SO in 1L of oil, the PAO percentage would be ~ 765 mL, ~ 85 mL Ester, with the rest, or ~ 150 mL, being the additive package.

10% of a quality Ester can really improve the performance of the overall formulation.

Last edited:
Where I read Redline saying their lubricants used "ester base stocks" was on their website many years ago.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Unless I missed it, I reviewed around 3:13 and I didn't hear him say anything about Redline being composed of a majority of Esters.

Originally Posted By: talking head.
Where synthetics really get going is Group IV, polyalphaolefin. And they take off even more in performance and it's most of what Redline does which is Group V, ester based products.

The inference (advertising fluff) is that most of Redline is GrV...although it could be 100%AN, and still GrV.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Where I read Redline saying their lubricants used "ester base stocks" was on their website many years ago.

I can say I use Ester base stocks as well (which I do in most of my formulations) but that doesn't mean the ester base stocks are the MAJORITY base stocks.

BTW, I am not defending Redline but try to understand the language used here and what it actually says and or what it might imply.

Quote:
And they take off even more in performance and it's most of what Redline does which is Group V, ester based products.

1) I can say that my oil is superior because I use PAO and Esters or other Group V, but I don't have to tell you how much of each. If you want to know how much of each component is in my formulation, spend upward of $1000.00.

2)
Quote:
...and it's most of what Redline does which is Group V, ester based products.

a. Does most of what? Purposely Ambiguous.

b. He still didn't say it is composed of a majority of Esters.

c. PAO offers a jump in improvement in various areas over mineral oils.

d. When I add esters, I see another jump in improvement.

I don't think the speaker was saying anything more or less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Originally Posted By: talking head.
Where synthetics really get going is Group IV, polyalphaolefin. And they take off even more in performance and it's most of what Redline does which is Group V, ester based products.

The inference (advertising fluff) is that most of Redline is GrV...although it could be 100%AN, and still GrV.

3:17 is where he says it... "Mostly what Redline does which is Group 5, Ester based products"

Last edited:

2)
Quote:
...and it's most of what Redline does which is Group V, ester based products.

a. Does most of what? Purposely Ambiguous.

b. He still didn't say it is composed of a majority of Esters.

c. PAO offers a jump in improvement in various areas over mineral oils.

d. When I add esters, I see another jump in improvement.

I don't think the speaker was saying anything more or less.

Agreed, just clearing up that he did in fact imply they are mainly Ester Group 5.
smile.gif

Whatever is in it, it didn't do as well as off the shelf PAO synthetics or Amsoil in my UOA's so I stopped using it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

3:17 is where he says it... "Mostly what Redline does which is Group 5, Ester based products"

It is still Ambiguous and really means nothing. If he had said, "...What Redline does is use a majority of Esters to really make the performance take off," now that would have been a definitive statement and NOT ambiguous, BUT he didn't say that.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's advertising fluff, implying something that the average punter interprets as one thing, but being able to then state "that's not what I said".

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, it's advertising fluff, implying something that the average punter interprets as one thing, but being able to then state "that's not what I said".

Exactly, it's called, plausible deniability.

And there are two main reasons for all the fluff and ambiguity.

1) Suppose some guy had it analyzed and found 50% PAO and 50% Esters. A false advertising suit could be brought against the company.

2) Protection of formula and keeping an edge on competition.

It is still Ambiguous and really means nothing. If he had said, "...What Redline does is use a majority of Esters to really make the performance take off," now that would have been a definitive statement and NOT ambiguous, BUT he didn't say that.

I'm not saying that this is what it actually contains, just that he said it.

...I'm not saying that this is what it actually contains, just that he said it.

Agreed.

And what I am saying is what he said is still Ambiguous and really means nothing; it's vacuous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back