RLI in Direct Injection Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading a lot about RLI, want to try them out. This would be oil for my two Mercedes. They're both using Castrol Edge 0w40 and 5w40 right now. These engines are both start/stop engines and direct injection.

Would the 5w30 be a good place to start? Actually located in San Diego and the cars will never see snow. Plan is to run them for about 5k miles and then run a Dyson analysis.

Last edited:
I think the OP was referring to Renewable Lubricants Incorporated.

I do not see any advantages in using the RLI engine oil.

Last edited:
What is the motivation behind this choice? Sounds like the Vegan version of snake oil
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
What is the motivation behind this choice? Sounds like the Vegan version of snake oil
grin2.gif

Hmm think it's more like vegetable oil!

grin2.gif

Renewable Lube Inc uses bio based oils rather than petroleum. If you're ecologically inclined they're a good choice.

OP I agree with a sample at 5k; you may be able to leave it in but RLI is not known for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Been reading a lot about RLI, want to try them out. This would be oil for my two Mercedes. They're both using Castrol Edge 0w40 and 5w40 right now. These engines are both start/stop engines and direct injection.

Would the 5w30 be a good place to start? Actually located in San Diego and the cars will never see snow. Plan is to run them for about 5k miles and then run a Dyson analysis.

Does either car have a problem that you think RLI oils might solve?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think the OP was referring to Renewable Lubricants Incorporated.

I do not see any advantages in using the RLI engine oil.
This^^^

Until we see a UOA in his application we can not make that call IMO.

Every formulation from every manufacturer operates differently in various engines under various conditions.

What might work well in one may not in another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly

Does either car have a problem that you think RLI oils might solve?

Nope, both run perfectly. Just looking for the best quality oil I can get for the dollar that offers maximum protection.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
grin2.gif

Renewable Lube Inc uses bio based oils rather than petroleum. If you're ecologically inclined they're a good choice.

OP I agree with a sample at 5k; you may be able to leave it in but RLI is not known for extended drains.

Well, there's refined crude which is turned into mineral oils, then there's crude which is reacted into synthetics'.

And then there are bio-derived oils.

RLI uses a combination of the above.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
You will have to experiment with UOAs to prove this then.

How is a UOA going to prove it?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Kuato
grin2.gif

Well, there's refined crude which is turned into mineral oils, then there's crude which is reacted into synthetics'.

And then there are bio-derived oils.

RLI uses a combination of the above.

RLI is a Group IV/V oil. No Group III in it.

RLI is known for reducing engine wear on VW/Audi direct injection engines when compared to 502.00 certified oils. There is a big thread on this in the European/Import oil forum.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

RLI is known for reducing engine wear on VW/Audi direct injection engines when compared to 502.00 certified oils. There is a big thread on this in the European/Import oil forum.

You answered the question before i asked. I was wondering if this oil is predominantly Group V.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: StevieC
You will have to experiment with UOAs to prove this then.

How is a UOA going to prove it?

It will show him how it's performing in his application and then he can compare it to the cost he is paying and determine if an off the shelf synthetic better suits his needs.

I doubt the boutique oil is needed to bring your vehicles beyond your ownership of them. RLI seems to keep the parts separated. There are some posted UOAs of RLI.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

You answered the question before i asked. I was wondering if this oil is predominantly Group V.

Thanks.

the Group IV is the carrier of the additive package.

If you only do a UOA, don't be surprised when you see a lot of copper in the report. Copper is part of the additive package.

As soon as my warranty expires, I'll be going back to RLI. Right now I use 502.00 oils with Liqui Moly MOS2. I plan to start stocking up on RLI Biosyn SHP Low-SAPS 5w40 (or maybe try 5w30 to milk out a little extra fuel economy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back