A different 6 vs 12 pt discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greasegunn
Originally Posted By: blupupher
I have never heard of a cut off point. I use 6 point on every bolt if possible.

You are correct in that there is no cutoff point. What I'm trying to get at is that once the flats on the fastener are large enough, I'm thinking the risk of rounding off with a 12 point becomes smaller. Just trying to establish what everyone thinks is large enough.

I only have 6 point sockets.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
greasegunn, you are aware of modern off corner engagement, aren't you ?

Yes. But as tolerances get sloppy on both the fastener and the tool I think you are more likely to get closer to the corner on smaller fasteners and possibly round them off.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why are tolerances going to get sloppy ? What brand sockets are you buying ?

I have a mix of old USA Craftsman, SK, Williams and Wright. Perhaps not so much an issue on the tolerances of the sockets - but keep in mind everything is made to a spec. In the rust belt where I am the fastener can rust and cause issues too. Tools will slowly wear too.

Most (like 90%) of my sockets are Snap On six point
I have a twelve point set of shallows for doing 12 point bolts
I also have a few 1/2" drive 12 point sockets for torquing ARP rod and head bolts when I use them

My Snap On 3/4 drive set is all 12 point, Kinda bugs me but I've never had it round anything off
Plus, lots of the newer diesels, Cats and such use 12 point head bolts

I use 6 point as first choice unless it is a 12 point bolt. When you grow up near the ocean and with snow you learn quickly that 6 point sockets and box wrenches have an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back