What all-seasons have the best winter traction??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Iowegian

Is that the ice x 3?
The 3's are supposed to be better than the previous ones.

Yes. Not a fan of any of the XIce for real winter driving. Our dealership actually refuses to sell them. But, this is in Ottawa, Canada, so we see some harsh winters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Reports are predicting a snowy winter for us, and perhaps a bit warmer but still below freezing.

I already purchased X-ice's for the wife, but am considering just a really good all season for myself because another grand on snow tires is unsettling. (but probably worth it no doubt)

I wished i had gotten the x-ice for myself last fall after experiencing my wife's.
I was trying to cut costs as well.
But i could have kept the tires i had for another couple of summers. Plus we forget that by using winter tires we extend the life (by not using) our regular/all season tires.
Especially when the x-ice comes with a 40k warranty.

By the way $1,000 for tires. Holy crud.
I payed around $600 for 16in x-ICE FOR THE Sienna and $700 for the 17 in defender ltx M/S for my equinox.
Plus i get free lifetime rotations and $15 per tire swap of wife's winter/summer tires.

Reports are predicting a snowy winter for us, and perhaps a bit warmer but still below freezing.

I already purchased X-ice's for the wife, but am considering just a really good all season for myself because another grand on snow tires is unsettling. (but probably worth it no doubt)

I wished i had gotten the x-ice for myself last fall after experiencing my wife's.
But i could have kept the tires i had for another couple of summers. Plus we forget that by using winter tires we extend the life (by not using) our regular/all season tires.

I payed around $600 for 16in x-ICE FOR THE Sienna and $700 for the 17 in defender ltx M/S for my equinox.
Plus i get free lifetime rotations and $15 per tire swap of wife's winter/summer tires.

More specifically, about $1000 total for a set of X-ice2 (they dont seem to have the 3 for my vehicle at TR) mounted on new downsize 16" steeles and delivered to my door which adds about $100 in shipping, not to mention about $90 for the added TPMS sensors.

Stock size is 225/65r-17, these would be the recommended 225/70-r16

So, yes, just tires would be about $500, but once you add tax, TPMS, steeles, and shipping you approach $1,000... Then I will have two dedicated sets and costs will go down with the next set of winters, etc.

The Defender was one that seemed to score 8 iirc, but it's still never going to be a true winter tire I suppose.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Nokian WRG3 or Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Are these even available in the US? Didnt see them on tire rack.

I asked this question in general, but specifically It is for a front drive crossover ~3,700 lbs curb weight using 102H rated tires in a midwestern region that gets lake effect snow from Lake Michigan.

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Tirerack is not the only place to buy tires.
wink.gif

Yes, both are available in the US.

Honestly, I find the WRG3 better in the winter than the Mich XIce.

Is that the ice x 3?
The 3's are supposed to be better than the previous ones.

Yes, I got the X Ice 3 for the wife, I am glad to hear they are better!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
All season with the Mud & Snow ratings still don't stand a chance in real winter conditions. If it's going to be really nasty weather it's best to have true Winter Tires on.

I will disagree. It depends entirely on the vehicle. You may recall a few years back that epic ice storm we had? I drove to the East Coast in it in the Expedition on Michelin LTX M/S2's and it handled that weather like a champion. Those tires were very good on ice, which surprised me. They weren't bad in snow, though 4x4 and a lot of weight helps.

Of course real winter tires would be better (like we have for our present vehicles) however we got by just fine in the Expedition with various LTX incarnations, no matter the severity of the weather.

More specifically, about $1000 total for a set of X-ice2 (they dont seem to have the 3 for my vehicle at TR) mounted on new downsize 16" steeles and delivered to my door which adds about $100 in shipping, not to mention about $90 for the added TPMS sensors.

So, yes, just tires would be about $500, but once you add tax, TPMS, steeles, and shipping you approach $1,000... Then I will have two dedicated sets and costs will go down with the next set of winters, etc.

The Defender was one that seemed to score 8 iirc, but it's still never going to be a true winter tire I suppose.

You could skip the new steelies and TPMS spend like $600. Have a look for used anyways, you might find some has 1 season use tires with your TPMS installed already for $4-500?
I just picked up a set of latitude X-ice2 for $400 for the CRV on rims with 9.5/32 left which should run it to the end of its life.

Looking at the Nokians, just found a smaller size at DTD, but none in 225/70-r16

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 in 225 /60 R16 102T XL for $115

I think going down to a 65 would only be maybe 1/2" difference, not sure about going to a 60. At least its the right load range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: StevieC
All season with the Mud & Snow ratings still don't stand a chance in real winter conditions. If it's going to be really nasty weather it's best to have true Winter Tires on.

I will disagree. It depends entirely on the vehicle. You may recall a few years back that epic ice storm we had? I drove to the East Coast in it in the Expedition on Michelin LTX M/S2's and it handled that weather like a champion. Those tires were very good on ice, which surprised me. They weren't bad in snow, though 4x4 and a lot of weight helps.

Of course real winter tires would be better (like we have for our present vehicles) however we got by just fine in the Expedition with various LTX incarnations, no matter the severity of the weather.

+1 CR lets you directly compare all seasons to winters and some of all seasons can do as well in snow traction as some of the winter tires. The better ice tires score higher on both snow and ice, than any all season of course.
In car sizes CR has the altimax rt 43 with the best possible score for snow traction. And all the Michelin LTX series seem to be good or very good for snow traction.

Yes, my price was without new rims. That explains it.
I found that i can get the same tires locally with a very reputable shop, installed for the price I can get them from online plus shipping. It's a wash for me so I figured I can give a local guy the business.

I never had a winter tire. The defender ltx M/S (previously the ltx M/S 2) was the best snow handling I have ever had in an all season.
Than I drove my wife's Sienna with dedicated snow tires and wow.....
Never knew what I was missing.

I have AWD so going is not an issue for me. Stopping is that is where the accidents really happen.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

suppose.

You could skip the new steelies and TPMS spend like $600. Have a look for used anyways, you might find some has 1 season use tires with your TPMS installed already for $4-500?
I just picked up a set of latitude X-ice2 for $400 for the CRV on rims with 9.5/32 left which should run it to the end of its life. [/quote]

Sounds like a great deal! Honestly I don't have time to shop around for used tires and whatnot, Just wanted to either replace my worn out all-seasons with something good in snow, or bite the bullet and get a separate tire/wheel package to have dedicated snow tires.

I think we can all agree winter tires are the way to go, and all seasons are just a half measure, yes?

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and advice, I have a road force balanced mounted set of Pirelli Scorpion Winters headed to my doorstep as we speak!!

I will be sure to give you a head to head comparison between the X-ice3 and Pirelli Winters once the snow flies!

Cheers
25.gif

To me, this is like asking what brand of hammer is best for use as a screwdriver.

Once you go winter you never go back. Just saying.

In short, anything with a mountain-and-snowflake. Vredestein Quatrac 5, Nokian WRG3, Goodyear WeatherReady, Toyo Celsius. In Canada, you can also get the Hankook Kinergy 4S

Vredestein was the first to make a tire like this.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
To me, this is like asking what brand of hammer is best for use as a screwdriver.

I have no doubts that will be the case! I have been slipping around during the winter for too many years now and I am looking forward to safer winter travel.

I agree, to a point. I know one issue that Transport Canada has found with the new "3 peak" rating, is that many all season tires actually outperform many cheaper "3 peak" rated tires in testing.

Personally, I would take a WRG3 or Quatrac 5 over a Michelin XIce, or the horrible Toyo KX in the winter, let alone many off brand tires.

+1

Wife has all-seasons on her little SUV, but I still install winter tires on it for winter. It makes a huge difference.

But if the OP is really dead set on just having one set for year-round use, then my suggestion would be Nokian WR as well.

If you aren't looking to use a dedicated winter tire I would get Continental Truecontact. Hands down one of the best winter traction and quiet over all tires on the market.

I know the best way to handle this is to replace all four tires, but can you just do the rear two with snow tires on a rear wheel drive car? Just curious...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Dedicated winters are best because the rubber is softer. In making an all weather or all season, the rubber needs to be harder to deal with summer heat so that they dont wear out prematurely. Personally, if you are in an area with not much snow but enough to need something better than all seasons id opt for the nokian all weather tires. Its the only one id consider however, i would expect that they will wear out much sooner than all seasons. I have 2 sets of rims, one OE steel wheels with winter tires and a set of mags with all seasons, I change over the tires myself so no cost for changeovers.

Harder for summer heat? Not necessarily true. Summer tires, especially, when you look at UHPS (Ultra high performance), MPS (Maximum Performance), EPS (Extreme Performance) aka TireRack categories, all have soft compounds with low UTGQ wear ratings compared to the All-season counterparts, such as the Legendary Continental EC DWS 06, which is 560 wear rating. The EC DW and EC Sport is 340. The SportContact 6 is 240. These are soft compounds made to grip the road with its large tread blocks.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I know the best way to handle this is to replace all four tires, but can you just do the rear two with snow tires on a rear wheel drive car? Just curious...

Only if you don't mind not steering...
wink.gif

You should do all four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back