Sears 'auto memories'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first Toyota pick up got a liftime garantee Sears muffler, on sale for $23.
Over the years and 500k miles I had that truck Sears replaced that muffler 7 times.

On the 8th time the local branch had closed the service dept and the store wanted me to drive 60 miles to the nearest Sears Auto Centre.
I refused because they wanted to inspect the old muffler before ordering a new one, which ment two trips.

I thought they might just give me the $23 back, but instead they told me to take it somewhere else and give them the bill.

Sears Auto was my first job, at age 16. I installed Tires and Batteries in Port Arthur, TX back in 1980 to 1984.
I will ever be grateful to Sears for giving me my first job.

Sears (Hackensack, NJ) was where I went to get oil and filters. A friend's father said that Sears oil was recycled and that many oil knowers preferred it because "bad stuff" had been boiled out during the first use.

He was an engineer so it was "instant gospel".

When the first car I bought for myself needed new tires, I did just like my dad would have done and went to Sears.
I ended up buying Roadhandlers, which lasted forever but felt like they were made out of stone. I figured out I needed new tires because I was driving home from work in heavy rain and could barely keep the car straight on the highway at 45mph, all the other drivers were honking at me and flipping me off! I couldn't figure out what was going on until I looked at the tires when I got home and saw they were basically bald. Guess I thought at the time that tires only needed to be replaced if they got punctured...
I decided to treat myself to new tires when I moved from near Chicago to New England and actually looked for ratings in Consumer Reports. Ended up with some Yoko Avids that were absolutely dreamy compared to those Flintstone-era Roadhandlers!

I lived near the Sears store on Market Street in Wilmington, Delaware. I had an old 64 chevy with a 283 and powerglide. I changed my Spectrum motor oil and Fram canister filter every 2000 miles. I also bought shocks, tires, and other stuff. I loved going to Sears cause you got great value for the money. That Sears is gone now, killed by malls and rising crime in that area. Last I saw, the building was some kind of state welfare thing. Sadly, that suits " Killmington " perfectly.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Speaking,old time auto centers,I remember getting my muffler replaced on my Nash Rambler at J C Penny auto center!

I remember JCP and Kmart having auto centers. It's really hard to believe how fast time flies by.

Yep, I used to get tires and baterries there for years when I lived in SoCal. I used to get "poor man's" Michelien's from them back when they made tires for Sears. I still have a Die Hard Gold battery in my truck I bought 6 years ago. I remember back in the late 1990s - early 2000s, they were the first shop in town that hired women from the the local cc's auto shop program. Boy, they were hard workers. I used to kill time down in the Craftsman tool area after buying a big container of hot buttered pop corn. Our first house was built in the '20s and Sears used to be the only place I could get original plumbing parts for the house. Catalog sales and Christmas wish books, taking the bus to town and sears with my Grandma when I was a kid, yep got a lot of memories tied to Sears.

Sears Canada (actually Simpsons-Sears, as the company was a merger of Canadian retailer Simpsons and the US Sears parent; they changed the corporate name about 20 years ago but the corporate structure remained the same; the stores were rebranded Sears beginning in the 1970's) was, in my experience, the "never pay" store. I used the Catalog to determine the retail price of everything, or stopped into a retail store, and then went shopping for a lower one, which I was always able to find.

Sears was only worth price shopping at during a sale, at any other time they were the most expensive retail option. What you got for that was a bulletproof warranty, one of the first Department Store cards with easy qualification, and plenty of attentive, knowledgable sales staff (most were lifers).

For many that was worth paying for, and Sears did fine as the first wave of retail assault came, with gum-chewing illiterates on the sales floor and muchos-hassle exchanges along with low margin pricing emerging as the alternative. What killed them was the misguided attempt at competing with the discount warriors. This involved hiring gum-chewing illiterates as the lifers retired in part-time positions (no no staff investment into the job; it was a stepping stone), not hiring enough staff for any actual attentive shopping experience, and not being able to cut prices enough to actually compete with the bargain retailers. Basically, embracing the worst of the new market reality while disbanding the attributes that their formerly loyal customers expected. Doom, basically.

Never used Sears Auto service, although they had a good reputation, I just never took my vehicles in to anyone for almost any reason, doing it myself. I'd pay for alignments, new tire and tire repairs, that's about it, and never bought tires from Sears (see "most expensive retail option" above).

Bought a fair amount of Sears Craftsman tools, even after the Chinese assaulted the tool market. Never had to use the lifetime warranty, which says something.

Never bought Sears appliances, again they were only worth shopping during sales, and my needs and their sales never merged on the same week. I did shop them when looking for my fridge and stove (I bought Frigidaire Gallery) but the features / prices were disappointing and non-competitive. Five old-school staffers in a store when I was the only shopper, though (at a Sears Warehouse store, basically furniture and appliances only).

Sears has been on life support for years but our local Sears outlet does very well.Times change. I purchased tires, batteries, shocks and tools from Sears for many years but not so much the last thirty years. Times change.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Sears has been on life support for years but our local Sears outlet does very well.Times change. I purchased tires, batteries, shocks and tools from Sears for many years but not so much the last thirty years. Times change. Remember when I was a kid that a delinquent fifteen year old girl hid in the Albuquerque Sears store at closing time and then set the place on fire. One of the biggest fires the AFD ever fought. The Continental Trailways depot across the alley temporarily suspended operations for several days.

I remember growing up in the 1970's and my local Sears in addition to the auto center, had a full size eating cafe on the lower floor in addition to a full complement sporting goods department with hunting and fishing gear in addition to a gun counter. You actually put on your "good clothes" when you went shopping and was considered a punishment by your parents to not take you.

Hollow shell is all that is left of the current going concern that has a Sears name on it now.

I recall getting tires with my father at an Art Deco sears auto center. We'd go late in the evening, and I recall being allowed to go in the bays and look under the cars.

They also had a candy and nut stand until maybe the early-mid 90s...

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I lived near the Sears store on Market Street in Wilmington, Delaware. I had an old 64 chevy with a 283 and powerglide. I changed my Spectrum motor oil and Fram canister filter every 2000 miles. I also bought shocks, tires, and other stuff. I loved going to Sears cause you got great value for the money. That Sears is gone now, killed by malls and rising crime in that area. Last I saw, the building was some kind of state welfare thing. Sadly, that suits " Killmington " perfectly.

Killed by malls or a giant store at Price's corner off Kirkwood Hyw, and another huge store up on 202??

Long ago, I used to use their oil, shocks, struts and filters. The oil was produced by Sunoco and was a good product. I remember back in the 70's and early 80's people would examine all the old mufflers laying along the road, hoping it was a Sears Muzzler, since they had lifetime warranties.. If it was, they would bring it back to Sears for a new one for their car. They never needed a receipt since "Muzzler" was engraved on it and back then customer satisfaction was Sears number one priority. They lost those beliefs long ago and joining up with Kmart was bad for both stores.

Last edited:
Customers who bring in a muffler off the road or broken tools from garage sales deserve misdemeanor charges … not service …

There was (or maybe still is) a sears store maybe a mile or so from my house. Back in the day I would shop there regularly. Haven't been there for maybe 15 years now, not even sure if it is still open to tell the truth.

After Hurricane Andrew in the early 1990's, Sears divested itself of Allstate (which lost a fortune in homeowners insurance claims) for fear that the next big hurricane would bankrupt the whole sears & Allstate operation. New management at Allstate diversified its homeowners book of business and has gone on to bigger and better things. Sears, is not heading in the right direction, that is for sure.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Long ago, I used to use their oil, shocks, struts and filters. The oil was produced by Sunoco and was a good product. I remember back in the 70's and early 80's people would examine all the old mufflers laying along the road, hoping it was a Sears Muzzler, since they had lifetime warranties.. If it was, they would bring it back to Sears for a new one for their car. They never needed a receipt since "Muzzler" was engraved on it and back then customer satisfaction was Sears number one priority. They lost those beliefs long ago and joining up with Kmart was bad for both stores.

So you just gave an example of warranty abuse and then complain about Sears no longer being customer satisfaction oriented.

Basically made the point that consumers have some blame into the financial demise of Sears. Pretty hard to make a buck when people are abusing the "satisfaction" warranty. Part of the reason Sears stop selling Craftsman branded tape measures for so many years because contractors were sniping their tapes and warranting them for every new job and more were going out for warranty replacement than being sold new retail. Same thing happened with their gardening tools that were Craftsman brand that made them change their warranty to a 1 year and not lifetime.

There are a few more examples but your post was a good example of people milking the cow till there is no more milk to be had and then complain when the cow no longer delivers.

More recent memories includes having enough Shop your way awards to get a battery for the wife's toyota for almost nothing.

Then applying stackable coupons on top of more awards to get a set of sears tires for the same car for probably 75 percent off.

Don't know how they make money giving me a battery for 20 bucks, and a set of tires for $175.

We then repeated the process and got a new dishwasher for under $200.

Back in the day my family went to Sears Service Center in Hackensack New Jersey for everything. They were okay to deal with. They even put a knee knocker a/c in our 1960 Ford Galaxie. They did a very good job.

In Florida back in the day we dealt with Kmart Service Center in Deerfield Beach. They were the best to deal with as it is next to impossible to find a honest mechanic in South Florida. Kmart was slightly better to deal with then Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back