Best Additive For Small Rear Main Seal Leak???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zombie thread, but since its on topic...

Are there any NEGATIVE effects of the bars leak product? I would like to try to stem my rear main leak in my Mustang and since I'm simply not going to be pulling everything apart to repair it any time soon an oil additive sounds like a good option. I suppose a lack of effectiveness is less adverse than other issues which may harm the engine...

Originally Posted By: buck91
Zombie thread, but since its on topic...

Are there any NEGATIVE effects of the bars leak product? I would like to try to stem my rear main leak in my Mustang and since I'm simply not going to be pulling everything apart to repair it any time soon an oil additive sounds like a good option. I suppose a lack of effectiveness is less adverse than other issues which may harm the engine...

Bars has a couple of products that claim to clean and recondition seals. I'd try one of the ones that are not the "rear main seal" specific product as that one appears to include a highly potent mix of possible cleaners, conditioners and swellers that could be problematic. If the milder ones don't work, then go to the rear main seal product. My concern would be overswelling the seals unnecessarily.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
LM Motor Oil Saver would get my vote.

+1

Unless the seal is physically broken and missing that stuff will stop most any leak.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
LM Motor Oil Saver would get my vote.

+1

Unless the seal is physically broken and missing that stuff will stop most any leak.

FWIW - I have a MB E320 with over 280,000, it had a small RMS leak and I tried adding 2 cans (600ml) of LM Motor Oil Saver ... and no luck. However, on this last change I switched from the recommended M1 0w40 to M1 10w40 High Mileage *and* added 2 can (600ml) or Motor Oil Saver, and ... totally dry driveway, no more RMS leak.

I think M1 10w40 High Mileage by itself may be what was the solution to my RMS problem. The LM Motor Oil Saver was in for almost 9,000 miles on the previous fill with 0w40 and it alone didn't do the trick. I added it to the previous fill too, so two oil sumps with 600ml MOS and no reduction. 2 days after M1 High Mileage 10w40 goes in and dry driveway.

Before:

After:

Daughter's truck (Ford 4.2L V6) has a rather large and significant RMS leak. Basically about 1qt every other tank of gas with marked visible leaking. Did a double dose of Bars leak and put 10w30 (Chevron Supreme) on the last oil change. HUGE improvement. Only took 1qt so far in the past 2 months!

Clearly beyond fixing with a bottle of junk, but on this truck I'll take the improvement while it lasts.

Originally Posted By: wemis
I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It has 133,000 miles on it. It's a 5 speed. I've never had any major problems with it, knock on wood. I had to take it to the garage to have them find an oil leak. They said it was the oil pressure sending unit and replaced it. They also noted that the rear main seal was leaking about a drop or two of oil ever 45 minutes. I know that's not much oil at all. I do not want to replace the rear main seal due to the high cost of it(Estimated $600 or $700). My question is what should I do? I am a compulsive and addicted researcher and reviewer. I research and review almost EVERYTHING I buy. I have read multiple posts and reviews, both positive and negative about Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair, Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak, Auto-RX, Marvel's Mystery Oil, etc. I am kind of at a standstill and can't decide on what to try to fix the leak. I have never used any stop leak product or additive in my life! Any input, review, or personal usage report would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time!

Valvoline Max Life oil.

There is a user on here RCY that I'm friends with outside of BITOG that used Maxlife successfully to cure his Rear Main Seal leak on his vehicle and it has been a considerable amount of miles and it is still not leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back