Should I Use Lubeguard Red when Trans Slips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Honda Civic EX with 207K miles. 1.7L and 4 sp OD A/T. Trans slips a little when shifting into OD or converter lock-up when ambient (outside) temps are 60 Deg (F) or lower. Slippage stops after car has warmed up or ambient temps rise. Other shifts seem fine. I am halfway through the 4-time drain and fill, but the slippage is still there. I am aware that it may just be the high mileage of the car, but I want to know if adding Lubeguard Red during the D&F will create more problems. Also using Castrol Import trans fluid in the D&F. Thanks.

The Honda a/t is particular about which fluid you use. Use only the Honda brand fluid.

Lubeguard Red is called a protectant. Usually when a problem is noted, it likely won't help unless something is hanging up. Slipping at 207k, I wouldn't get my hopes high. Lubeguard will not add back clutch material which has worn off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Lubeguard Red is called a protectant. Usually when a problem is noted, it likely won't help unless something is hanging up. Slipping at 207k, I wouldn't get my hopes high. Lubeguard will not add back clutch material which has worn off.

I agree, although if something is plugged up the esters "might" help clean it. In a problem situation I would add it only to fresh clean fluid, keep my fingers crossed, and hope for the best. Just be prepared for possible disappointment.....

I'm using maxlife in my 97 civic with good results. No other additives in my tranny.

Did you get a lot of material on the magnetic drain plug?

Gotta chime in with the same info.
As you know your Honda has a trans from the "bad era" (pre 2007, I think)
It is up there in miles
I use LubeGard (red) and I imagine its special lube is the thing which improved my shifting so I hope it'll improve yours.
Obviously that calls for clean fluid-which you're doing. How clean is it now?
That's a Z-1 spec fluid, no?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The Honda a/t is particular about which fluid you use. Use only the Honda brand fluid.

No its not. Maxlife ATF and Lubegard Red in our CRV...60K going strong.

It's my work car, basically a hand-me-down from my son when he got tired of driving it. We bought it in 2011 for him to use in college. It was previously a 1-owner, with 119K miles, very well maintained. Still gets 31+ MPG, better than my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

The drain plug was pretty "dirty" on the first drain, not so much on the latest. I realize that most of this is the age and mileage of the car and clutch pack material is probably worn. The car probably had Z-1 in it; the Castrol says it is Honda compatible and I haven't noticed any difference in shifting. I still have 2 more D&F's to go.

Again, I don't know if the Lubeguard red will make a difference at this point, but I saw on a Honda forum that a lot of guys there like it.

There is a slim possibility that it might help.

Let's say a valve is moving slowly due to varnish or a clutch actuator is varnished slowing activation. Cleaning might help.

Update: Well, the trans died yesterday, on Christmas Eve. Mileage was 209,499. I had been driving it back and forth to work for the last two months. The slipping from 3 to 4 during cold temps had actually disappeared and the trans seemed to be shifting fine through all gear ranges. My son took the car on an overnight visit (160 mile round trip) Saturday and fortunately was only about 2 miles from home when it quit. I had noticed about a month ago that the trans developed a slight whining noise when cold, that disappeared when it warmed up. This whine sounded similar to a power steering pump when it is low on fluid, but the trans fluid level was okay. A church friend who is a mechanic seemed to think the main pump failed, based on the noise I heard. I will call afew shops tomorrow and make a decision whether it will be feasible to repair. The car has a salvage title (due to cosmetic body damage only), but everything else works (except trans now) and it was consistently getting 30+ MPG. Just put new tires and a starter in it less than 3K mile ago. Oh well.

Its a little far for you, but there's a highly recommended guy over near Lawrenceville GA that does nothing but Honda transmissions, and will ship one to you if need be. Pretty reasonable on pricing as well.

Last edited:
I kinda fixed my daughters slipping 2005 Civic trans 103,000 after buying the car I changed to Maxlife and it still slipped a bit. I drained 2 Qts and added 2qts of Redline Racing and Racing lightweight to get some Type-F/"no slip agents" in there. That helped out by 80% and it has been a year now. I would not myself add LubeGard. Doesn't that have slip agents in it?

Last edited:
I should have said that I never added any Lubeguard Red at all and still had a couple of drain and refills to go. Most shops were still closed today, so I'm still awaiting a repair estimate.

I tried Z1, Maxlife, Redline D4, and DW1 fluids in my BAXA autotrans before it [censored] out at 200K miles. All of them did fine. My favorite was Redline D4. Maxlife with a little bit of Lubeguard Red felt exactly like the old Z1 fluid.

If you like the car, and you can find a reputable shop, I would recommend getting it fixed/replaced.

I have an '01 that the transmission went out on in basically the exact same way, and very similar miles. The whining sound too.

Replaced that trans and continue to drive the car still today. Going on 315k miles or so. Bought the car new.

Well, here's an update on my Civic trans. I've been really busy since January 1, with work and getting 2 sons through the last parts of another college year. I have been trying to crank the Civic every so often to keep the battery charged while I decided what to do. Trans rebuild estimates have ranged from $1700 to $2200. One shop I have used a lot has a similar Civic with 5-speed and a bad engine. I was going to ask about buying it and putting my engine in it. Well, this weekend I tried to crank the Civic, and the battery was dead. I put it on a battery charger for about 30 hours. I cranked it tonight, and while I was sitting there, put it into "D" and pressed the accelerator a little. Well to my surprise, it eased forward. I stopped. put it in park, then "D" again, and it went forward again. I decided to try Reverse, and it worked in "R" as well. All of this was just in my driveway. What is going on? I thought the trans was gone? Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back