Entry-Level to Mid-Range AR-15s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Just buy this and be done with it. The extra cost over the Smith, Ruger, or Del-Ton will be well worth it. You'll have the rifle for the rest of your life, which equates to what, $5 more per year to get a better rifle now that you wont really have to upgrade all that much.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalo...-carbine-rifle/

Awfully tempting.

Just for the sake of discussion: You guys who have a lot of experience with ARs, who have owned them and fired them a lot... What parts would you replace with aftermarket parts on the above rifle?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Just for the sake of discussion: You guys who have a lot of experience with ARs, who have owned them and fired them a lot... What parts would you replace with aftermarket parts on the above rifle?

I hate the A2 grip, so I put a new grip on it. Stock is serviceable, but I prefer a B5 Bravo stock or Magpil CTR. Trigger is serviceable, but I use a BCM PNT trigger as my base trigger.

You also need sights. When you can afford it, add a non-Chinese red dot preferably. And if it will be used for home defense it needs a flashlight.

The accessories add up in cost, but you don’t NEED to buy or change anything other than sights. You can also spread the cost of accessories over several years. Buy the gun now, get a good red dot next year, then a flashlight the year after.

And of course, the best money spent will be a carbine class ($500)

My Colt 6720 in the corner, originally $750, has more than doubled in value by adding an Aimpoint, Surefire flashlight, new trigger, and furniture I like.

Get your foot in the door first and try it as is.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
What parts would you replace with aftermarket parts on the above rifle?

None of them unless something breaks. Which they most likely won't.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I hate the A2 grip, so I put a new grip on it.

Yeah Bubba, you make a good point. I was thinking of fire control parts and BCG's. But I've replaced most all of my grips with the Ergo Tactical Grip. It's got a nice hand filling palm swell, and has the "grippy" over molded feel to it. And not that slick, hard plastic. And I love the Vltor E-Mod Stocks. It only takes about 5 minutes to change out both of them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/194923...ermolded-rubber

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/230011...rbine-synthetic

So...

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II vs. Colt 6920.

Looks like the Smith has a 4140 barrel with 1 in 8 twist rifling, while the Colt has a 4150 alloy chrome-lined barrel with a 1 in 7 twist.

Not sure if the Smith barrel is melonited or chromed...

Those Mexico-marked 6920s for $689 are looking like a great deal...

In my opinion - the Colt 6920 is the benchmark off the shelf AR15. Everything to built mil-spec and should last any civilian a lifetime. I've never regretted for a second purchasing mine (other than seeing them for 1/3 the cost now). The Mexico marked deal is outstanding and should be a no-brainer around that price point.

If you do want to save a few more $$$, Palmetto State Armory has some good deals on their in-house built AR15's as well. They too are built to mil-spec and provide an excellent value.
$459 - Standard Carbine w/ Magpul furniture
$499 - Free float rail w/ Magpul furniture

Last edited:
Just ordered one of the Mexican-marked 6920s!

Thanks to Bubbatime for posting that link, and to everyone else for all your input, as well!

Can’t wait to get it and start shooting!

Now, for an optic! I may start another thread for that.

Best advice I was ever given when I bought my S&W M&P 15 Sport II, was to shoot it a lot before changing anything. Sure enough, the trigger smoothed out nicely with live- and dry-fire, and I learned to like the sights. I just added a sling.

The only changes I am now seriously looking at are a different grip by Magpul (as I like all their stuff), some optics, and maybe and last of all, a basic trigger that breaks cleanly at 6 lbs just for he fun of it. But otherwise, it is a sweet rifle. Still thinking about getting an improved extra power extracor spring and buffer. Keeping a round count and notes of course.

Brownell's sells a spare parts for about $20 - mostly springs, some of which you'll lose in a detailed strip. But is pretty complete and at a great price. I have also been running a Brownells brand oil made for semiautos that heat up. Result is no fairlures, period. I had to induce them with dummy rounds to get malfunction clearance practice.

Buy a S&W. I got mine for about $475 shipped and transferred. The place is out of them now, however.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Here is a NAME BRAND, LIFETIME warranty, nicely featured AR-15 for $439
https://www.cdnnsports.com/delton-ar15-echo-316-556-nato-b5-system.html#.WdzZ1ltSxdg

I believe that same rifle was $399.99 pre Las Vegas.

nope...it still is. That was a different package.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/delton-ar15-echo-316-556-nato.html#.WfNczVtyKCh

I ended up picking up the Delton AR15 about the time of this post. I have about 500 rounds through it so far, and simply love it! Not a single jam, or misfire...and seems pretty accurate (for my feeble capabilities). This is 20 rounds at about 50 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back