How often on a G, do you replace vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to dump them every 3 years/50k miles. Broke that trend with my 05 Durango, kept that till 2010 with 78k miles.
Now:
LR3: Had since 2010 (7 years), got it with 30k now it has 160k, no plans of getting rid of it
Liberty: Had it since 2007 (10 years) with 37k on it, now has 168k, no plans of getting rid of it
New Cherokee: Had it since 2016 (1 year), with 5k on it, now has 15k on it, no plans to get rid of it
Old Cherokee: Had it since 2015 (2 years) with 120k on it, has 133k on it, no plans to get rid of it

Thought off and on about trading in the LR3 for a newer Range Rover but the LR3 has almost no trade in value and I'm not tired of it at all, love driving it still and it feels much newer than it is. Plus that and the Liberty have been loyal companions for a long time through some interesting times, so too much sentimental value in them anyway.

Run some out to 300K+, some go much quicker.

My Saab will be up for sale a week or so. Can't abide the seats anymore. They are leather and in nice condition. But they make my hip hurt no matter what the settings.

Not so for my F-150 or the Bronco, so the Saab has to go. Prolly the shortest I've ever owned a car (4 years) except for the wrecks of youth
laugh.gif

Bough my Cruze new, currently at 4 years and 105K, just getting started.
Got my '85 GMC in '08 when I was 17, put 50K on it and still use it as needed.

The last car my dad bought was a '97 Suburban, in '06 with 170K. It's still my parents' primary vehicle with 430K.

When I was young, fresh out of school and broke, very infrequently. As of late far more frequently than I've wanted to. I've mulled over upgrading to the TrackHawk but at 40K more than my current JGC I'll probably just keep it. We'll likely be trading the Durango next year in on a new one with the V8.

I've owned 12 vehicles before these two, far less than many in this thread. I'm in my mid 30's.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
2-3 years. Life's too short to drive the same car longer.

This IS NOT typically BITOG!

Average about 10 years per car but has gotten longer as cars have improved. My latest daily driver is 11 years old and still runs and looks like new so we will be keeping another 5 years maybe more. The other two cars are 10 years old and 13 years old (garage queen convertible with 30k on it).

The key I have learned is to buy really great nice vehicles so they will last a long time and so you will not get sick/bored of them. People changing cars every 2-3 years are just not buying the right car to begin with and they are also on the express lane to the poorhouse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gner
I'm 83 now and still service my car. Gordon

Very awesome. I hope I am capable of doing that if/ when I get there.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Used to dump them every 3 years/50k miles. Broke that trend with my 05 Durango, kept that till 2010 with 78k miles.
Now:
LR3: Had since 2010 (7 years), got it with 30k now it has 160k, no plans of getting rid of it
Liberty: Had it since 2007 (10 years) with 37k on it, now has 168k, no plans of getting rid of it
New Cherokee: Had it since 2016 (1 year), with 5k on it, now has 15k on it, no plans to get rid of it
Old Cherokee: Had it since 2015 (2 years) with 120k on it, has 133k on it, no plans to get rid of it

Thought off and on about trading in the LR3 for a newer Range Rover but the LR3 has almost no trade in value and I'm not tired of it at all, love driving it still and it feels much newer than it is. Plus that and the Liberty have been loyal companions for a long time through some interesting times, so too much sentimental value in them anyway.

Your 2015 Cherokee has it caused you any issues in 120k? We have a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L and absolutely love it, but to be honest the transmission scares me now that I've researched some of the issues or potential issues with it. Have you had any issues with the transmission? I have been going by the OLM and using PP and Mopar filters. She drive almost all highway miles her commute is very predictable with 37 miles each way 30miles of it highway at 70.

Or feel safer with a lease ~ I work with some that can easily afford to buy their BMW’s … but had issues out of warranty before … and now turned to lease …

My vehicles are paid for & then some. Plan on driving both until the wheels fall off or there no longer able to pass annual inspection. My mortgage is the only payment I want besides.

87 cars in the last 50 years. I replace them when I find something else I would rather drive. Wife keeps her BMWs about 5-6 years.

Stuff that I drive, I run the wheels off of.
When I purchased the Accord, it replaced a 2000 Taurus with over 275K on it.
I usually try to keep the wife's vehicle fairly new and low mileage.
I am out of sequence right now with the Odyssey, even though it still has relatively low mileage.
However since she is not working right now, I don't feel compelled to hurry.
However, the van is next up for replacement.

Currently:
M235i- 1 year, 10 months
318ti- 21 years, 11 months
Wrangler- 15 years, 5 months
i3- 1 year, 1 month(24 month lease)
Clubman- 6 months

I traded a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 in for the 2 Series- I kept it for 7 years, 6 months. I sold a 2004 X3 2.5i to buy the Clubman; I kept it for 11 years, 4 months.
If I let myself get talked into going back to work I may flip the M235i for an M2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back