Filter switch at WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a local walmart yesterday to pick up oil and a filter for the Ranger. I took the last Fram Ultra 3600 off the shelf. As I was checking out, I noticed the seal missing from the box, so I opened it and sure enough a orange can filter was inside. I have read about it here, but this was first personal experience. I explained to the older female cashier why people did it, her reply was she heard of it happening in shoes, but not oil filters.

I had old used oil in what I thought was a brand new M1 jug. They glued the foil back down.
mad.gif

I open everything in the parking-lot now and have a look see.

Last edited:
Stopped at the local Walmart today to get some new wipers and two of the wiper containers hanging on the hooks in the display were empty.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I had old used oil in what I thought was a brand new M1 jug. They glued the foil back down.
mad.gif

I check in the store. Hard to prove once you are in the parking lot.

Originally Posted By: John_K
mad.gif

I check in the store. Hard to prove once you are in the parking lot.

Good point.
thumbsup2.gif

The barcode should be printed on the top of the filter, and a hole in the lid of the box to enable scanning. And every Fram should be that way, so that if a box is switched, you still pay the proper price.

The only other option is a dye pack that explodes all over the thief that switches boxes, deactivated at purchase by the RFID when exiting the store, which, BTW, is my vote.

A guilty Fram Orange face and hands would be hilarious. Pretty easy to arrest as well.

Last edited:
I saw a dirty bottle of Pennzoil Yellow bottle on the shelf as new. I noticed it right away. I opened it up to see if it was new or used oil, and yep, black as tar. I took it off the shelf and brought it over to the TLE center so they could drain it.

It's just a shame you have to worry about this type of thing.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I explained to the older female cashier why people did it, her reply was she heard of it happening in shoes, but not oil filters.

Years back when I sold shoes,something worse even happened. A certain clientele would always put their old nasty shoes in the box and wear the new ones out. It always only happened with Nike's of course. We ended up putting a camera over the Nike section.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I went to a local walmart yesterday to pick up oil and a filter for the Ranger. I took the last Fram Ultra 3600 off the shelf. As I was checking out, I noticed the seal missing from the box, so I opened it and sure enough a orange can filter was inside. I have read about it here, but this was first personal experience. I explained to the older female cashier why people did it, her reply was she heard of it happening in shoes, but not oil filters.

I have no problems shopping for oil or filters.
Not difficult to inspect the oil bottle cap for a broken plastic seal.
Not difficult to inspect the Fram Ultra outer box for broken or repaired adhesive tape-job.

mad.gif

I open everything in the parking-lot now and have a look see. I haven't experienced that switcheroo at our local store but I always check the jug to see if the seal is intact. Walmart could stop that at the customer service counter if they wanted to. There's no reason for anyone to put a jug of used oil back on the shelf. NONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back