Are all house brand agm batteries the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a couple of group 65 agm batteries for my truck. I have noticed that oriieys,autozone,pep boys and Napa all have agm batteries with a grey case and the exact same specs.

Is there only 1 manufacturer of them?

Last edited:
Find a battery dealer instead of an auto parts store.
wink.gif

For standard AGMs there is Bosch, Johnson Controls (optima), Exide, and East Penn (depending on region, the most common house AGM)

Above that you have your pure lead agms, Northstar makes quite a few house brands (and really really good batteries) on the higher end

What you are most likely seeing is the East Penn Deka Intimidator AGM. Look like this guy?755CCA?
9a65-intimidator-battery.jpg

They're very common as a house brand. Best price you will find on the dekas are Sams Club duracell branded. They don't build to spec, so no matter what label is on it, its all the same battery.

Last edited:
Most car batteries sold in the US are made by only three companies: Johnson Controls (JCI), Exide, and East Penn/Deka.

That gray case with the lines in it is probably the same JCI-made AGM battery. Some places use different suppliers depending on the region, and some use the same supplier nationwide.

For example, Napa batteries sold on the east coast are made by Deka.

Originally Posted By: HorseThief
For standard AGMs there is Bosch, Johnson Controls (optima), Exide, and East Penn (depending on region, the most common house AGM)

Above that you have your pure lead agms, Northstar makes quite a few house brands (and really really good batteries) on the higher end

What you are most likely seeing is the East Penn Deka Intimidator AGM. Look like this guy?755CCA?
9a65-intimidator-battery.jpg

They're very common as a house brand. Best price you will find on the dekas are Sams Club duracell branded. They don't build to spec, so no matter what label is on it, its all the same battery.
yep thats it. I have a bad one in my truck and it takes 2. I have a commercial account with a local battery place that sells those intimadaters at a great price.

I am a little bummed and suprized it failed after only 5 years. I usually get 8 or more years out of them.

Do you really need AGM? My Sonata had an AGM that die last week, O'Reilly's and Auto Zone wanted $220 plus tax for a battery, so about $240. Wasn't going to happen, especially for a Hyundai. A buddy of mine is a mechanic so I get parts through his Parts Authority account at his cost. Got a 40 month free replacement Exide Extreme for $141 OTD. I don't think it's an AGM, but I don't see the need.

The Deka Intimidator is a fairly budget AGM. it does not really have much higher CCA than a Flooded starting battery and the self discharge is not as low as higher end AGMS. They are really best for when exposure to gasses from charging is undesirable.

In deep cycle usage they did poorly in a test done by practical sailor compared to other AGMS

Thge group 65 is a bit of a weird battery, longer wider and shorter than a group 27 or group 31. Its CCA is a bit higher than one would expect for its weight and capacity. If you have some added height available you could use group 27 or 31 and perhaps get some more capacity and CCA.

AGMs are a bit more petulant in regards to their charging specs, when deeply cycled. They would prefer higher initial amperage. And While all lead acid batteries want to be fully charged ASAP after any signiicant discharge, this is extra true with AGM They will walk down in capacity faster if chronically undercharged, but their lower resistance will mask this for longer.

If gasses from charging are not an issue, I would not really spend the extra $$ on an AGM for a starting battery.

I deeply cycle a Northstar group 27. 90Ah storage capacity and 930CCA. I've got over 700 deep cycles on it, and it has no issues whatsoever cranking my v8 engine depleted 65 of those 90AH in mild temperatures 55f+ even with 700 deep cycles on it. Prompt and full recharges and keeping it as cool as conditions allow, are the key to battery longevity. In a vehicle one is largely dependent on the vehicles voltage regulator, unless they also regularly plug in and top charge.

I hope that Exide holds up for you Nick. Exide has not be well regarded here in terms of quality for some time now.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I hope that Exide holds up for you Nick. Exide has not be well regarded here in terms of quality for some time now.
40 month Free replacement, bring it on!
grin2.gif

My mechanic uses them in his cars and all his customer cars and they serve him well.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: bbhero
40 month Free replacement, bring it on!
grin2.gif

My mechanic uses them in his cars and all his customer cars and they serve him well.

Can't beat a 40 month replacement warranty.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't disagree up to a point... A 40 month free replacement warranty is very good indeed. But if said battery dies at the wrong time or place at 18 months for example then it really is very trifling and likely very irritating. That warranty won't start your vehicle out in the middle of no where or if it is 15°F out. Versus a battery that has generally very solid reviews and performance with say a three yr warranty but does not have any trouble in the warranty time period.

Having said that... I hope this Exide battery does very good for you Nick94. Maybe they have upped the quality level again and are performing much better now. A 40 month free replacement warranty is the highest one out there for a flooded lead acid battery.

I will say that Home Depot has them for around $100 with a 4 yr free replacement warranty as well. I would be a little bit spooked by the bad reviews those Exide batteries had gotten on there though. But 40 month $100 for a group 24 battery is quite good at first glance. I would buy one from Home Depot then I would put it on a 3 amp smart charger before putting it into service. And maintain it after that point as well with the smart charger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: StevieC
$200 Canadian for an Odyssey so it should be less in the U.S.
21.gif

link to 200 canadian price? maybe I'll buy one next time I'm north.

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-34-78-PC1...dyssey+group+34

The diehard platinum agm were rebadged odyssey and still around 200 with coupons etc.

or the one needed for the outback
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-25-PC1400T-Automotive-LTV-Battery/dp/B00249CS5U

Sorry the batteries you require are not $200 Canadian. The model I was looking at is. But your links show about $250 USD. Still not a bad deal for a quality battery that usually lasts 10 years.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: StevieC
$200 Canadian for an Odyssey so it should be less in the U.S.
21.gif

link to 200 canadian price? maybe I'll buy one next time I'm north.

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-34-78-PC1...dyssey+group+34

The diehard platinum agm were rebadged odyssey and still around 200 with coupons etc.

or the one needed for the outback
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-25-PC1400T-Automotive-LTV-Battery/dp/B00249CS5U

I paid about $C 205 at Wal-Mart last time I bought an Optima that fit my RAM 1500 (Group 34 RedTop). In store, regular (not sale) retail price. But even the expensive places at full list it's about $C 235. This was in Spring 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back