How do you stay away from ice cream ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Designated" small ice cream bowl. NO eating out of 1/2 gallon tub. 1 small bowl, 1-2 times a week works for me.
11.gif

i'll get ice cream from the restaurant on occasion and go all out, but i can't keep any in the house.. too much temptation to finish the carton

eating is my achilles heel..

I used to work at an ice cream company, fixing their large fleet of trucks. There was a freezer in the workshop, by the parts counter...always kept full and help youself. nice in summer. But I didn't eat a lot of ice cream in those younger me days...freezer in the workshop today, and I'd never be able to walk away from it.

A very rare treat for me, but I will usually buy a pot of yoghurt instead.

I Don't have a sweet tooth...

I don't seek out Icecream, cakes, and biscuits (cookies). So Icecream is like maybe 3-4 times a year when I'm out with the family.

Thoroughly enjoy a piece of my daughter's chocolate brownie with a glass of red wine.

Guess that I'm lucky

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
How do I stay away from it? I'm married to a diabetic.

Actually my wife is tall & skinny and has type 1 diabetes and has to watch what she eats. It's a good thing as it keeps me in shape, too.

Lactose intolerance helps one avoid it ... If we were all stuck in an elevator you'd be hoping I'd stayed away from ice cream in the past 24 hrs ...

I used to work weekends at a British ice cream parlor when I was 15-16 years old.
It was run by Italians and they made their own ice cream, and consistently won awards for the best ice cream from independent makers.
The rule was we could eat all we wanted as long as we asked first.
Along with most of the other staff, I gorged on the stuff for a short while, then lost interest. A lot of food makers had this policy, and it worked.
If you have an addiction to ice cream, perhaps gorging on it until you make yourself sick of it might work.

Claud.

I have only one rule to avoid ice cream calories. It's a weak one but I do follow it religiously.

NEVER eat any ice cream during a day when I've had beer or anticipate drinking beer.

If I have ice cream I have no beer that evening.

NOTE: A "day" is waking hours-no deceptive wording here.

A friend's son bought a car from a lady who worked at the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory in So. Burlington, VT
There's a freezer in the waiting room.
Go say hello!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
How do I stay away from it? I'm married to a diabetic.

I'm type II and so is my better half, that is a deterrent for sure. We are also on pretty much a low carb diet. We will have a burger with the bun but try to avoid carbs as much as possible (within reason) to keep blood sugar on track. So far we are in the 5-7 mmol/L range as prescribed by the doc and we both lost substantial weight following this. Carbs/Sugar really contribute to weight. I'm down 68lbs
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
How about an ice cream story. A long time ago I coached runners mostly distance running. I was working with several fire departments and they were eating yogurt by the pint every day. The brand they were eating was low calorie at 170. One of the firemen read that yogurt wasn't such healthy food and was the equivalent of ice cream. So he switched to Hagen Das. He showed me the label and it said 220 calories. What a deal, except for some unknown reason he was gaining more weight than could be explained by an additional 50 calories. What he missed were the details. It was 220 calories per servings and 4 servings per container. I think that helped to explain his recent weight gain over the past month for an otherwise healthy young man.

A logical method of staying away from ice cream is to avoid it in the supermarket. Find a replacement. Freezing fruit juice in plastic cups is one option. The same can be done with low-fat chocolate milk. You can keep a variety in the freezer. Just let them thaw enough to eat. One at a time, of course.

I've been enjoying root beer floats this summer. Saw egg nog at Winco today. Plan to enjoy that when the weather turns.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
WinCo FOODS store brand mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Extremely Delicious !
crazy.gif

1/2 cup = one serving
140 calories per serving
14 servings per container (who eats only 1/2 cup ?)
1960 calories per container (they don't tell you that part!)

I could eat the stuff all day 24 hours a day. The stuff never fills me up.
If I let myself eat as much as I want to, I'd be 600 pounds within a year.

How do you guys control the addiction ?

Reminds me of my Dairy Queen addiction of a few years ago. Someone told me how they have $1 mystery mixes in the freezer. Little cups of leftovers. They were so good and I couldn't get enough of them. It's been about a year or so and no more addictions to it. Whew! Yes, never filled you up. Eat a huge portion of broccoli and quinoa and you feel filled with a fraction of the calories.

When I was a teenager I worked in an ice cream store, that put me off the stuff for life. I still eat it once in a while but even now its one of the easiest things for me to walk away from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back