Favorite cheap tire brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kumho. Three hundred bucks for four 245-40-18 delivered(new). Performance is good for a daily driver. Handling and wet traction is very good. Wear so far has been excellent. Two years and a little over 12K miles.

Originally Posted By: K23Turbo
Kumho. Three hundred bucks for four 245-40-18 delivered(new). Performance is good for a daily driver. Handling and wet traction is very good. Wear so far has been excellent. Two years and a little over 12K miles.

Which Kumho tires do you have?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Which Kumho tires do you have?
smile.gif

Ecsta ASX. They’re out of production for my size. As I bought some old stock. Maybe that’s why they were on special. Discount Tire.

Ecsta ASX. They’re out of production for my size. As I bought some old stock. Maybe that’s why they were on special. Discount Tire.

Cool
thumbsup2.gif

The Ecsta ASX is an older UHP all-season tire. It has since been replaced by the Ecsta 4X

Just got me some Generals for the first time today. RT-43. Gotta say I'm really impressed and they were 1/2 the cost of Michelin's. Thanks BITOG members for suggesting it!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Cool
thumbsup2.gif

The Ecsta ASX is an older UHP all-season tire. It has since been replaced by the Ecsta 4X

And the Ecsta 4XII.

You probably already figured this out, but just in case you're still searching, it might be a good idea to take measurements of the tires you test as well. It's not uncommon for different tires of the same size to be slightly different shaped where one will rub and the other won't. The most common I've seen is where the tread is actually wider, making a more square shoulder profile, even with the same section width.

Just ordered a pair of Antares Comfort A5 all seasons for the Nissan Quest through WalMart for $147.25. I guess they're made by Horizon Tire who makes a few other brands. We'll see how they go.

I can't say I have a cheap tire brand, but I put DT Arizonian Silver Edition III on a Camry and had really good luck with them. That car I gave to a grand daughter and they are still rolling. Quiet and no problems in rain.

Another car I put on DT Yokohama 740 GTX (DT tire again) and they run great so far. Plus someone else I know runs the same and he is very happy with them to. I might go to these on my next tire renewal as I don't know for sure how much longer I'll hang on to my DD SUV.

RAV 4 I used to drive I had put on a set of General Grabber HTS (planed to let that RAV go within a year or so), and I was happy with them. Less than the Michelin previously.

Check simple tire. They have probably the largest selection of off brand tires on the whole market. More than Ebay. OHTSU/Falken makes some decent budget tires that don't look too bad.

If you're just trying them for the sake of fitment get the cheapest stuff you can find. No point in brand names until you start paying $90+ each and used tires are kind of hard to move these days even with full tread.

Last edited:
I don't have a need to get cheap tires(currently). I did use a pair of Hercules on a an old van and they seemed to work fine. If I had to pick, Kumho/Hankook/Uniroyal/any of the Dunlop/Sumitomo brands.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
Check simple tire. They have probably the largest selection of off brand tires on the whole market. More than Ebay. OHTSU/Falken makes some decent budget tires that don't look too bad.

If you're just trying them for the sake of fitment get the cheapest stuff you can find. No point in brand names until you start paying $90+ each and used tires are kind of hard to move these days even with full tread.

I bought my Nexen snows from Simple Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back