Cleaning nickel revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't give a specific cite to back this up, but when the gun in question would have been made Colt used the electroless nickel process on nickel guns. EN is applied directly to the steel without copper plating.

Again, if the gun has been replated, all bets are off and the gun likely does have copper. If the gun has not been plated, it has not.

BTW, when I regularly carried a nickel Detective Special I cleaned it with Hoppe's no. 9. I still use that(or Ballistol) to clean it when I shoot it. I am hard pressed to see any difference in the finish today as compared to the photographs I took when I first bought it.

Quote:
Roy Jinks has nothing to do with Colt. So what he say's is immaterial in regards to the gun in question, which happens to be a Colt.

He has stated this applies to Colt as well. As THE leading expert on comparative firearms manufacturing techniques since 1900, I believe him. You can keep insisting he doesn't know what he's talking about and YOU do, but it's like beating your head on a rock. One will break. It won't be the rock...

Let's see if a photo will load...

This isn't a great picture but I like this nickel 19-3. I've had it a long time and it's seen a lot of Hoppes.
wink.gif

Now I gotta get productive and go find some Limited Slip additive for my differential...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
You can keep insisting he doesn't know what he's talking about and YOU do, but it's like beating your head on a rock.

Learn to read, and stop putting words in my mouth because you can't. I never said, "he doesn't know what he's talking about". I'm telling you it is a preferred and common practice to flash plate steel with copper before Nickel. And I have told you the reasons why this is done. This regardless of what S&W does, or Mr. Jinks says.

And cleaning ANY Nickel plated revolver with a metal removing solvent of any type can and will damage it. Nickel finished firearms are among the most delicate and easily damaged by solvents, when compared to most all other firearm finishes. Again it doesn't matter what you believe, or how lucky you've been. If you have a Nickel plated weapon, you can soak it in battery acid for all I care.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
bunnspecial said:
And the refinishers who do that can be counted on maybe three fingers and no one would turn down a gun from them!

Fords would be the guys for S&Ws and Turnbull for Colt. I've been told that Turnbull actually does some factory work for Colt now.

I have a good friend who has sold down his collection, but just to give you an idea on the caliber of it he co-wrote the section on boxes in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wessons.

In any case, at one time he owned 33 Registered Magnums(he paired it down to two with sequential registration numbers). He liquidated the collection through David Carroll, and it took David a couple of years to sell for fear of flooding the market and killing prices.

I mention all of that because my friend has a couple of guns refinished by Ford's, and had at least one RM that was done by them. Ford's can redo S&W stamps and roll marks, and if you have a first class gun that you want to have finished(like the rare barrel length RM my friend found hanging from a nail in an old barn) they are the guys who will do it right.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Fords would be the guys for S&Ws and Turnbull for Colt. I've been told that Turnbull actually does some factory work for Colt now.

I have a good friend who has sold down his collection, but just to give you an idea on the caliber of it he co-wrote the section on boxes in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wessons.

I do know who your friend is.

Not personally, but by posts, collections, and disposition. He had something truly unique. Ford's and Turnbull were two the the three fingers I alluded to. The third one I actually had no one in mind; just a place marker in case there was someone else in the class of them. I don't think there is.

Your friend is, in my mind, a legend; I first encountered him 15 or so years ago at TheHighRoad.com, where he was prolific and full of savvy advice lots of people did not want to hear. Sadly that great board/forum fell to the some sad ego issues between the owners. I recall a lot of pics of his RMs there and elsewhere and I have seen the paired s/n ones pictured there or elsewhere.

I got into the game too late for collecting RMs affordably. His writing and others did convince me to get a post-war 27 in 3.5". My favorite revolver by far. I did a fair amount of riding with it as a "bear gun" because, while I should have left it at home and taken a 686 or 629 instead, it was too awesome to just leave in the safe all the time. It's the only 27 I own/owned but it was because of his advocacy that I sought out a nice one, albeit post-war. They are great guns.

I've had a few 27-2s, although all I have now is an 8 3/8". They really are a special gun-I have a 6" 28-2, but the 27 just takes things up a notch.

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a nice 5". That is, to me, an almost ideal revolver barrel length. The books say that the 5" 27-2 is fairly common, but when they come up for sale folks seem to not be in too big of a hurry to move them.

Funny enough, one of the rarest of the bunch is the 4" 27-2, but they don't bring the money of a 3.5" or 5" when they do become available.

As much as I love the N frame 357 Mags, I've caved in and now mostly carry a 4" 19-3. The 19s have their special appeal, but they're nothing like the N frames.

Well, I haven't had the chance to go back and do any more polishing or apply the fancy wax, but here's a quick pic of how it looks today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back