How is Bitog Pronouced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: CT8
Bob is the oil Guy.

This.

As Buck points out, not all of us are ex-military or federal employees that think everything has to not only have an acronym, but one that can be pronounced.

Oh, like NUMMI or TIPM? Wait, those are car things.

You mean like SATA or SCSI? No, those are in the computers that run BITOG.

You're probably right, only the gubmit uses acronyms.
21.gif

Oh, I don't have a problem with acronyms. After all, I work for a tier 1 / tier 2 automotive supplier. I'm speak fluent acronyms. Many of them are my customers. Like TMMI, KMMG, HMMA. Before they closed, MMNA was one of my customers. I've never heard any of these pronounced any other way than individually pronouncing each letter. Sure, others like KCAP has a pronunciation. But that's my point. Not all acronyms need a pronunciation. It's totally OK.

This is one that most people get wrong...

ACRONYM (Noun) - an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word

ABBREVIATION (Noun) - a shortened form of a word or phrase

So, BITOG is an acronym. LASER is an acronym. SCUBA is an acronym. USA is an abbreviation. FBI is an abbreviation, as are four of the five terms in the preceding post. I learn this during my employment at GD (General Dynamics, thus an abbreviation). That place abounded with both of these nouns.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

ACRONYM (Noun) - an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word

So, BITOG is an acronym. LASER is an acronym. SCUBA is an acronym. USA is an abbreviation. FBI is an abbreviation, as are four of the five terms in the preceding post. I learn this during my employment at GD (General Dynamics, thus an abbreviation). That place abounded with both of these nouns.

Guilty as charged. But, I see what you did there.
lol.gif

Clearly, many here would disagree of how you categorize BITOG. For me, it is an abbreviation. As evidence, I present that even most here wouldn't know what you were referring to if you attempted to pronounce it as an acronym. You would just get blank stares.

B, yes, but as it is being discussed in this thread, BITOG could be categorized as an acronym. I don't think the level of esoterica really means much when describing an acronym.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Arguably. I prefer this taxonomy: they're all abbreviations, NATO is an acronym, FBI is an initialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back