Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has broken the PC's on my network from seeing each other in "Network" (Network Discovery) I can access shared directly using \\ComputerName\Share but I can't browse the PC's on the network for every one of the PC's that has updated that has updated to this.
mad.gif

Stupid thing is the Windows 7 PC's on the network can still see those affected Windows 10 machines but not the other way around.

There are others having the problem as well.

I have checked all the services running/not running between the non-working and working PC's and from what I read online for reference, I also have tried resetting the network settings using the option in Windows. I even uninstalled SMB features from windows and tried reinstalling them. No luck. Just reverted back on one of the PC's to test to see if that works and it did.

Just an FYI.

Last edited:
can you use a net use command to map the share as a drive from elevated command prompt.

net use z: \\server\share

or try to map it via ip address if you can't use hostname

net use z: \\10.x.x.x\share

Last edited:
Yeah the mapping works fine and I can browse to network shares if I put the name of the PC directly but I can't browse for the PC in "Network" any longer.

I have no issues seeing all computers and connected devices under Network (on every computer.) 2 PC's with fresh installs, 1 PC w/update, 1 PC on 1703, Apple Time Capsule (NAS), and Netgear router.

Last edited:
I can only access my Time Capsule by I.P. address. (Use it as a NAS only as well. Upgraded the original 1TB drive to 2TB when it failed. Works great)

It's definitely something that the creators update broke because I rolled back the update on one PC and it worked again, ran the update again and it stopped. Maybe it only affects certain N.I.C's

Not sure if the update screwed up the media streaming server service but I could not get my streaming devices to show the media files from my computer (even though it shows my PC.) Apparently Windows Search is tied into the Windows Media Streaming Service and the default indexing locations are in C:\Users\%username. If you got your media files stored on another location you have to add it to the list of indexed locations and rebuild the index by going into services.msc and restarting the Windows Search service. The media files needed to be indexed so they can show up properly on the device.

Just wanted to add that for people who store the media files on another drive and use WM Streaming since most fixes online does not work such as screwing around w/ WMP and modifying services startup does not do anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back