who's in the right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here it would be a little like what Stevie said about L.A. except all three would sit for about 10-15 seconds staring blankly or checking their phones. THEN they would all go at once.

All things being equal, the soccer Mom in the SUV will always have the defacto right of way (since she is already late)

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Around here it would be a little like what Stevie said about L.A. except all three would sit for about 10-15 seconds staring blankly or checking their phones. THEN they would all go at once.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Dont 1 and 2 have yield signs?

When have you ever, EVER seen a straight lane yield to any turning lane!?

I know this is supposed to be a fun thread, but jesus, how can this not be 100% obvious with zero questions possible?

The person who looks into the eyes of the other drivers will have to yield to the other drivers.
It shows fear.

This. Car #3 has the right of way.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

This. Car #3 has the right of way.

If Car #3 is your car and you're driving in a similar situation and act based on that conclusion every time, then as said in the movie Taken.....

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Must be a scenario from a European test, in NA you either flip or wave, nobody follows confusing signs.

Yes, car #2 has a priority road sign, indicating that direction of travel that has priority.

I don't recall observing many for straight traffic. In Germany, I saw many that indicated when a priority road curved at what looked like an intersection, indicating that if you were traveling in the priority direction, you could keep going.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Must be a scenario from a European test, in NA you either flip or wave, nobody follows confusing signs.

Yes, car #2 has a priority road sign, indicating that direction of travel that has priority.

I don't recall observing many for straight traffic. In Germany, I saw many that indicated when a priority road curved at what looked like an intersection, indicating that if you were traveling in the priority direction, you could keep going.

I looked for a bunch of road signs with a flat side of the triangle down, and that doesn't seem to be a North American sign. I thought maybe something demonstrating directions of traffic or a merge, but in NA that's typically a square yellow sign with a point going down.

FF539538-3828-47DA-8B4F-5C2F688A94FD-med.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

When have you ever, EVER seen a straight lane yield to any turning lane!?

I know this is supposed to be a fun thread, but jesus, how can this not be 100% obvious with zero questions possible?

Common 4-way intersection with yield or stop signs in two directions. I see that often enough around here.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I looked for a bunch of road signs with a flat side of the triangle down, and that doesn't seem to be a North American sign. I thought maybe something demonstrating directions of traffic or a merge, but in NA that's typically a square yellow sign with a point going down.

It is probably one along the lines of this:

It is probably one along the lines of this:

Yup. I'm not sure where the same style yield sign is used, but the white/red informational triangle seems to be something found in Europe, Asia, etc.

Just the fact that there are so many opinions and so much discussion tells me that it is a poorly designed and signed intersection. When creating signage and rules for drivers the lowest common denominator should always be the guide.

Just the fact that there are so many opinions and so much discussion tells me that it is a poorly designed and signed intersection. When creating signage and rules for drivers the lowest common denominator should always be the guide.

Or ignorance or assumptions.

The sign I reference isn't something witnessed by most US drivers.

It is possible people are assuming this in in the US AND assuming that car 2 has a yield sign.

Many who comment have not considered that the diagram may depict a scenario outside the US or North America.

So it is just as likely that many who are commenting are ignorant of the fact that other places have different signage and rules.

That's actually good. I was feeling pretty darn ignorant through this whole thing because I've never seen signs like that.

It is possible people are assuming this in in the US AND assuming that car 2 has a yield sign.

Many who comment have not considered that the diagram may depict a scenario outside the US or North America.

So it is just as likely that many who are commenting are ignorant of the fact that other places have different signage and rules.

A yield sign is pretty universal though. An international standard yield sign is blank though. There are variations on it other than the text (if any) but there's nothing else that looks like a white yield sign with a red border. Anything with a triangle with one point down is likely a yield sign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_sign

626px-Vienna_convention_sign_B1.svg.png

A yield sign is pretty universal though. An international standard yield sign is blank though. There are variations on it other than the text (if any) but there's nothing else that looks like a white yield sign with a red border. Anything with a triangle with one point down is likely a yield sign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_sign

626px-Vienna_convention_sign_B1.svg.png

True, yet I know of places here in the US where the yellow/amber yield signs are still in use. Yet neither of those looks like the triangular sign for car #2 in the diagram.

In my neighborhood it is the person who isn't afraid to keep on rolling through ahead of all without giving a second thought to stopping.

There are traffic rules and there is the way that things actually work in the ultra competitive world of driving in a congested urban area with heavy traffic most all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back