Toyo vs General tire vs Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Conti DWS 06 is my first choice if a can catch a good deal, not that $715 is terrible to begin with.

@ mighty mouse tech. Do you mean the Proxies 4 of the Proxies 4 Plus? Two completely different tires.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
The Conti DWS 06 is my first choice if a can catch a good deal, not that $715 is terrible to begin with.

How much more expensive is that than any other tire you'd consider?

Whatever that number is, divide it by the number of years or miles you'd expect to own the tire, and see what you end up with.

Then, compare the result to your car's total operating costs per year or per mile.

How does it look from that perspective?

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson

@ mighty mouse tech. Do you mean the Proxies 4 of the Proxies 4 Plus? Two completely different tires.

The Falken FK450 is $499 for the set of 4
smile.gif

The DWS 06 has a 50k mile treadwear warranty. Let's pretend it doesn't go a mile over that, and that the others will last about that long.

$500 / 50,000 miles = 1 cent per mile
$715 / 50,000 miles = 1.43 cents per mile

Consumer Reports once estimated the total 5-year cost of ownership of a new Toyota Prius at 47 cents per mile. Just for kicks, let's assume your car costs half as much to own.

The difference between the best tire you can get and a tier-2 "it's good enough I guess" offering saves you 0.43 cents per mile. Out of 23.5 cents per mile, that's less than 2%.

Given that your actual operating budget is likely higher, the actual percentage saved will be lower.

Then you have to factor in the fact that the DWS 06 will be MUCH better near the end of its life than the other tires will be.

Come on, man! Do the right thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back