Sticking with one oil brand for life of vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have stayed with one brand of oil for decades. M1. Never had any oil related problems so why switch?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They tend to change formulations every few years, so using the same oil isn't really possible.

I'm impressed. Excellent point!

The OP ask about one brand of oil, not the same oil.

My complete loyalty has been to my wife, tithing, JIF Peanut butter and Sony. I've cheated on Michelin, Amsoil, Heinz Ketchup, DISHTv, Verizon, and God. But, I've always come back.
grin.gif

When I 1st got my DD I went through a few oils (MS5K, PP, Kendall, couple others). I was on a last run from a case of Kendall and the place I bought it stopped carrying it and I was due for an oil change. So I bought a jug of PYB and at 5k OCIs I noticed I didn't have the top off consumption like with the other oils so its been PYB in that vehice since. Maybe that would have happened no matter, but I stuck with it since. Without looking at records, maybe 100k now on the PYB.
Cap calls for 5w-20, been using 5w-30 since early on. Normal work day is 2 hours mostly highway.
Now I also have a itch to try another oil, maybe HM oil, MagnaTec, but not having to add any oil during the 5k OCI I haven't pulled myself to try a switch.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Only negative I can think has already been mentioned and that is excluding yourself from other oils when they come on sale or clearance. Personally, I buy my oil on spec and price. Brand loyalty means nothing to me nor do I feel it gains me anything other than a consistent data point.

This.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have stayed with one brand of oil for decades. M1. Never had any oil related problems so why switch?

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's more harm in switching viscosities than there is brands.

Then you better tell that to the weather. Some places can go from the 80's and 90's to the 20's and 30's in a months time.

They tend to change formulations every few years, so using the same oil isn't really possible.

Exactly and now what oil is going to be on sale next that is just as good?

I like to be able to switch so that when the reports come out that one formula or another has been cheapened or loses specs that it had before I'm not locked in to anything. Or for example some oils just change branding too much to use continuously. Castrol lately....Magnatec blend, then Full Syn, and GTX changing to Ultraclean branding and a blend formula.

It's a nice thought, especially with a really consistent and available oil, but in the end you'll miss out on the flavor of the month and miss out on some good sales too.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Then you better tell that to the weather. Some places can go from the 80's and 90's to the 20's and 30's in a months time.

And there is no reason to change viscosities based on that, as your engine and oil temp isn't going to vary by that much at all, it might change by 10-20 degrees. There are a ton of great oils that can handle both extreme cold and extreme heat, pretty much any synthetic can do that. The days of swapping between 10w30 in the winter and 20w50 in the summer are long gone, that was 4 decades ago.

Well with the changes in basestock, additives, formulation, specification, and the J300 changes in the meantime, the "label" is virtually meaningless, isn't it ?

Your M1 of today is nothing like the M1 that you started with.

OP, sticking to the same "brand" for a quarter century means that the engine experiences changes in all the bits that matter (for the same viscosity grade), so I there's really no performance benefit.

And IF the formulation stayed the same for a quarter century, then whatever shortcoming it had would be highlighted oer time.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

... Your M1 of today is nothing like the M1 that you started with. ...

Yeah but neither are engines.
21.gif

I'd love to stick with one brand of oil, and I did for many years. Since joining Bitog I've switched around a bit. Formulations change, sometimes for the better, other times they get worse. If I see here something I've been using has gotten worse, as per our resident experts, I'm out. Castrol Edge SM was regarded as nectar of the Gods by some, the SN came out and some of our experts cried foul. I read up on it and I stopped using it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd love to stick with one brand of oil, and I did for many years. Since joining Bitog I've switched around a bit. Formulations change, sometimes for the better, other times they get worse. If I see here something I've been using has gotten worse, as per our resident experts, I'm out. Castrol Edge SM was regarded as nectar of the Gods by some, the SN came out and some of our experts cried foul. I read up on it and I stopped using it.

+1 I would add that UOA should really be the final deciding factor.

Well with the changes in basestock, additives, formulation, specification, and the J300 changes in the meantime, the "label" is virtually meaningless, isn't it ?

OP, sticking to the same "brand" for a quarter century means that the engine experiences changes in all the bits that matter (for the same viscosity grade), so I there's really no performance benefit.

And IF the formulation stayed the same for a quarter century, then whatever shortcoming it had would be highlighted oer time.

I wouldn't base this on a belief the oil chosen will never change formulation, that's a given. The choice is made because the consumer trusts a brand will keep up with industry standards, maintain a level of quality, can find what they need without hassle, prices are within reason of competitors and so on. Now, don't misunderstand me either... if i find an unbelievable deal on any 5W-20/30 synthetic while walking into AZone during their December clearance, I will bite. But Valvoline usually has one or two flavours involved in those clearance sales as well.

...and never had a bad UOA using any oil, really.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

And there is no reason to change viscosities based on that, as your engine and oil temp isn't going to vary by that much at all, it might change by 10-20 degrees. There are a ton of great oils that can handle both extreme cold and extreme heat, pretty much any synthetic can do that. The days of swapping between 10w30 in the winter and 20w50 in the summer are long gone, that was 4 decades ago.

You should direct that to Merkava. He is the one concerned, not me.

Personally I run anything from 5w-20 to 20w50, and don't care.

Shannow,

We realize that. As a user of M1 oils for 39 years, their oil today performs as well or better than any older formulation. As StevieC says, engines are better as well, for the most part.

Again, the OP was asking about the brand not the formulation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back