Mobil 1 0w-40 new formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Which Dexos?

The filler cap simply says SAE 0w40 on the top, then Mobil 1 in the middle and then on the bottom it just says Dexos and has the picture of a book with the letter i on the one page. I wish I could post a picture of it but Photobucket no longer works
frown.gif

Quote:
it just says Dexos and has the picture of a book with the letter i on the one page.

Sounds like dexos1, but it's strange since dexos1 does not allow any Xw-40 grades currently.

PS: you can upload pictures directly to BITOG nowadays.

Thanks, Patman.

Well, that's intriguing, to say the least.
smile.gif
The book symbol probably means RTFM. Do you have access to the owner manual to see if there is any additional detail there regarding oil?

Given that dexos2 is meant for diesels, then it probably wouldn't be dexos2.
Given that dexos1 does not allow Xw-40 grades, then it probably wouldn't be dexos1.

So what then? Is GM about to launch a third/brand new dexos category for high performance vehicles where this M1 0w-40 would fit?

Thanks, Patman.

smile.gif
The book symbol probably means RTFM. Do you have access to the owner manual to see if there is any additional detail there regarding oil?

Given that dexos2 is meant for diesels, then it probably wouldn't be dexos2.
Given that dexos1 does not allow Xw-40 grades, then it probably wouldn't be dexos1.

So what then? Is GM about to launch a third/brand new dexos category for high performance vehicles where this M1 0w-40 would fit?

Either a third category or notate dexos1 accordingly (like Mercedes do for the allowable AMG grades).

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Either a third category or notate dexos1 accordingly.

Right, such as "Meets the performance requirements of dexos1," but not the fuel economy requirements, or some other such weasel lingo.

dexos Racing
dexos Performance
dexos Track
dexos Unicorn Tears
dexos Ultra (oh wait...)

dexos Ultra Edge Synpower Unicornium

Thanks, Patman.

smile.gif

Not yet, they only have up until the 2018 owner's manual online (which I've already read!)
smile.gif

As soon as I find out more info about this oil I'll pass it along on here for sure.

Ohh, this is interesting. I'm using the M1 FS0w-40 in my supercharged truck now even though it calls for 0w-20 dexos1. I did notice a fuel economy drop of 1-2 mpg, but I haven't changed the oil yet so I have no analysis to compare. I'm curious how this new GM spec 0w-40 will do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back