Is Your Vehicle Manufactured with Kobe Steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kobe steel "may have faked data for over a decade."

Wow, Takata and now Kobe... that's a lot of damage to the 'Japanese reliability' image.

But maybe this good for US steel/aluminum industry?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I didn't have the $$$ at the time because I was just coming off a year of disability from a bad back injury, I was switching jobs because of physical limitations I now have with my back, I got a great discount because my dad is a retiree of Chrysler and the Santa Fe had just died and I needed something "on the lot" and I had some major expenses at the rental property. It was a bad year!

As soon as it's paid for in 2 years I'm going to give it to Adam and then get something else more dependable to make my money in. He commutes 10km to work and back round trip.
smile.gif

So what finally killed the Santa Fe? That's a lot of miles
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
This reminds me of another Japanese firm that cheated, Koito Passenger seats for jets, IMO falsified testing to make shipments.

Quote:
If you rejected too many pieces on QC, you got written up, moved, or fired.

That is stupid, when you reject so many, then alarms should sound and prod halted until management finds a solution. I work in another field of Automotive supply chain (tier 1), and man we charge the [censored] out of the suppliers that deliver defective goods!

Oh, they did too - but were also basically just phoning it in while shopping for a buyer by that time. They basically ran a constantly changing skeleton crew of unskilled laborers - many of which were extremely easy to find reasons to let go or just stopped showing up. Otherwise I don't want to make it seem like it was an everyday thing or that nothing but rejects were turned out. More than anything just wanted to point out that bad batches of raw or rough material happen, and bad/inexperienced management can only make it worse by trying to hide or bury an issue they'd rather not have to deal with or risk making waves themselves.

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I didn't have the $$$ at the time because I was just coming off a year of disability from a bad back injury, I was switching jobs because of physical limitations I now have with my back, I got a great discount because my dad is a retiree of Chrysler and the Santa Fe had just died and I needed something "on the lot" and I had some major expenses at the rental property. It was a bad year!

As soon as it's paid for in 2 years I'm going to give it to Adam and then get something else more dependable to make my money in. He commutes 10km to work and back round trip.
smile.gif

So what finally killed the Santa Fe? That's a lot of miles
smile.gif

One of the camshafts broke from a casting defect and it caused the valves to slam into the piston on one of the cylinders because it was an interference engine, I would probably still be driving the thing otherwise. I had just done the 4th timing belt on it not that long before. I even thought about putting another engine in it because I'm capable but it was hard to find a re-man unit for a good price and with that many miles I might be also looking at a transmission thereafter and there were wear/tear cosmetic issues on the inside so I decided to send it the graveyard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

What bothers me here is the revelation that nobody is clean and everybody lies.

Exactly. I wonder if the mfgs. that used the parts are going to somehow try and lie, operative word, try.......I also wonder if this is going to turn into another Takata airbag type nightmare.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Sadly this further reinforces my opinion that

"Treachery and Deceit always wins over Honesty,Intelligence and Enthusiasm"

It does seem to be becoming the rule and not the exception.

And if you asked Hyundai/Kia if any N. Korea parts were ever buried inside thier cars? Even a “part” consists of parts.

For most things expensive or where human safety is involved often the buyer has their own QC engineer to witness tests, or do there own testing. For stuff like suspension parts I'd think the manufacturers would make sure they are getting the metal in the parts spec'd to do the job.

Yes, that was mentioned during the Taco frame threads … I know we have QAQC checking QAQC these days since vendors present a great quality plan to get a contract … but you will have to pay someone else to make them actually follow it.

Originally Posted By: babyivan
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Could my '09 Forester be effected?

Subaru is not on the list

I suspect that this list may be expanded over time, like that for the potentially lethal Takata airbags.
OTOH, LoneRanger and I both own Foresters that have been on the road for at least eight years, so I'd expect that any potential problems with overly weak steel parts would have brought failure by now.
Still, who really knows?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: babyivan
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Could my '09 Forester be effected?

Subaru is not on the list

I suspect that this list may be expanded over time, like that for the potentially lethal Takata airbags.
OTOH, LoneRanger and I both own Foresters that have been on the road for at least eight years, so I'd expect that any potential problems with overly weak steel parts would have brought failure by now.
Still, who really knows?

My WRX is Japan built, I thought the Forresters are U.S. built.

No, the Foresters have always been built in Japan, as both of ours were.
The Legacy platform cars are built in Indiana.

Kobelco is a HUGE company - they are more than steel and aluminum, they also build cranes and excavating/earthmoving equipment and stamping presses. A Japanese car would probably be made from Kobelco's steel/aluminum that was more than likely stamped with their equipment.

Japanese companies are financially interlocked with each other, the bank and insurance companies that are in the same conglomerate will help each other out, at a cost of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back