Sticking with one oil brand for life of vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I have always used different brands but am contemplating sticking with Valvoline Synpower for the life of the Sonata. I'm a fanboy i guess.

My question is if there's any benefit or negative to doing so?

As long as it fits your engine needs then it's fine. A UOA should be the determining factor.

That said I'm partial to Amsoil for the great miles I have driven with superb UOA's and engine longevity I have experienced first hand so I use it as my first oil of choice.

If some other oil did a better job for a comparable or better cost I would have no objections to switching.
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I have always used different brands but am contemplating sticking with Valvoline Synpower for the life of the Sonata. I'm a fanboy i guess.

My question is if there's any benefit or negative to doing so?

The negative would be you'd miss out on a good sale. I've used Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, and I have a stash of Pennzoil that I haven't used in my car yet. Just bought whatever was on sale or had a good rebate. People are waiting to see what pops up for the Autozone clearance in December where synthetics were $2 a quart. To me, as long as it meets the spec for the car, I'll use it.

My LR3 has had one of two oils in it since new, Valvoline WB and Castrol GTX. Doesn't use more than .5 or less of a quart per 6k OCI. 160k miles on it.

Although I really think any mainstream oil today would've have produced the same results.

I can understand people sticking w one oil brand. I don’t know of any benefit vs mixing it up. For me, I like clearance oil. It has been serving my vehicles very well

There's more harm in switching viscosities than there is brands.

Once you start using 5W-30, you should continue using 5W-30.
grin2.gif

Thought about that....not for long though...

Wife's 2003 Cavalier started it's first few years on a diet of M1.

Decided to then try some Synpower...then Pennzoil.

Found BITOG shortly after that....Seen quite a few on sale synthetics since then....

Only negative I can think has already been mentioned and that is excluding yourself from other oils when they come on sale or clearance. Personally, I buy my oil on spec and price. Brand loyalty means nothing to me nor do I feel it gains me anything other than a consistent data point.

I have never been brand loyal and yet all my cars have been very good about consumption and have done well miles wise. I have about 10 different brands in my stash I have no bad feeling about using any of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I like the idea of brand continuity. The engine gets used to that particular formulation.

Please explain further how my engine would "get used to" _________ oil.

Neah. Gives me a chance to try other oils. They all feel similar quite honestly. But I do like Amsoil the most for quality, mpg, and longevity of oci.

the entire 8.5years/ 80k mi that i owned my 2000 Sonata, it had exactly one quart of non Valvoline in it...
and that was because it was low, and somehow the random parts store i stopped at didn't have any vwb 10w30 on stock... so i had to add a qt of QuakerState(For Shame!)

that car always used roughly a qt/k mi(that was with 10w30, probably should have gone to a 5w40 or something), and i always had the oil changed on the 3mo/3k mi schedule at my local VIOC.

stuck with VWB, until 75k mi, at which point, just like the marketing dept said to, i switched it to maxlife. even got a fresh oil change there the day i sold it.

both cars since the, I've done the OC's Myself, with a revolving door of oils that i got on sale...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
the entire 8.5years/ 80k mi that i owned my 2000 Sonata, it had exactly one quart of non Valvoline in it...
and that was because it was low, and somehow the random parts store i stopped at didn't have any vwb 10w30 on stock... so i had to add a qt of QuakerState(For Shame!)

that car always used roughly a qt/k mi(that was with 10w30, probably should have gone to a 5w40 or something), and i always had the oil changed on the 3mo/3k mi schedule at my local VIOC.

stuck with VWB, until 75k mi, at which point, just like the marketing dept said to, i switched it to maxlife. even got a fresh oil change there the day i sold it.

both cars since the, I've done the OC's Myself, with a revolving door of oils that i got on sale...

So now that you change brands has your oil consumption improved to less than a quart per K?

Back in 2010 you were using Renewable Lubricants (RLI?) and I remember you bought enough jugs of Valvoline White Bottle to service a fleet of taxis for years. What made you switch back to Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
As long as it fits your engine needs then it's fine. A UOA should be the determining factor.

That said I'm partial to Amsoil for the great miles I have driven with superb UOA's and engine longevity I have experienced first hand so I use it as my first oil of choice.

If some other oil did a better job for a comparable or better cost I would have no objections to switching. :))

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: earlyre

So now that you change brands has your oil consumption improved to less than a quart per K?

different vehicles mate.
Don't even know if that one is still on the road... never did any real maintenance myself on that car.... it wasn't until my next vehicle that i started doing things myself.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's more harm in switching viscosities than there is brands.

Once you start using 5W-30, you should continue using 5W-30.
grin2.gif

Why? Whats your reasoning? Ive used 0w20, 5w20, 5w30 back and forth and just buying whats on clearance when I get on my annual trip to the USA, been serving my car great. 0w20 in winter and 5w20 or 5w30 in spring, fall and summer just to use up the oil I have. Never an issue.

To the OP, I dont think it makes a difference, but if you like the oil, nothing wrong with sticking to the same brand for life of the vehicle.

I only use clearance oils, and purposefully never use the same oil twice in a row, just to change it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back