what happens to a car after we sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1955 Chevrolet BelAir 2 door sedan.

1962 SS Chevrolet 409.

1967 SS Chevelle 396.

1968 Ss Camaro L78 396.

1970 Z28 Camaro.

These were my first 5 cars, from 16 to 21. Vietnam in 69 came between my two Camaros. I can't afford any of them now, but sure wish I knew if they were still around.

1st car, mazda 323. Something got bent in the clutch/transmission (shifter fork?) so I junked it. Didn't even see if I could get $200 for it. I think it was pride, in that if I couldn't fix it, it was unfixable. Young and dumb!

2nd car, 1982 cadillac cimarron. My dad got it for my sister for a summer car then sold (yup, sold) it to me when the mazda blew up. I sold it to someone 1/2 mile away who parked it in his driveway without plates on it for months then it disappeared.

3rd car, 1992 cutlass ciera. Actually honestly tried to get a few hundred bucks but there were no biters. Parked it wondering what to do and it never started again so I junked it.

1st truck, mazda b2000. Rusted out. Sold on ebay for $21 to some moron from waaay down south who then cajoled a NH relative to pick it up for him.

I normally part with a decent car when we've gotten all we needed out of it in dollar terms or when my wife makes me or when the car suffers a terminal failure of some sort. We have passed better cars along to our sons, which is where three of the cars in my sig currently reside.
I like to see cars go to a good home and some have while others haven't.
They're ultimately disposable transportation appliances although we often develop affection for them.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Chris142
No idea where my cool cars are now. 70 elcamino I sold and never heards from again.same with a 340 duster. My 69 chevelle was real nice but was not an SS....it became a roundy round car
frown.gif

Those were nice cars.
I miss the 69 Chevelle the most as it was a stick shift.

Last edited:
The L78 Camaro had a 375 horse 396 with a Schaefer flywheel, clutch, and drag bars, ran high 12's. The Chevelle would run low 13's. Never took the others to the strip, but they were all fast cars. Had a bracket car once, ran low 11's, Performance cars today, hellcats, demons, GTR, vette, Tesla, etc, are something else. 10's and 11's with AC and cruise, unbelievable!

Only one I ever saw once I got rid of it was my 05 Durango. Traded it in back in 2010. It sat on the lot for a few months and then about a year later I saw it at some really ghetto apartment complex. Felt bad for it considering how much good of care I had taken of it since new. I looked up the history report a couple years ago and it was involved in an accident and there wasn't a registration renewal after that, so I'm not sure what happened.

Last edited:
One thing though, I'll never sell my Jeep. I'd never forgive myself. It was my grandpa's for 10 years and he still says in his 80 years, it's his most favorite vehicle he's ever owned, and he's owned a lot of cars.

I'll keep it forever, it'll probably nickel and dime me to death, but that's ok.

I had a 1991 Eagle Talon that my Dad bought new in 1991, he gave it to me in 1997 when I got my license. I loved this car, was just the base non-turbo 2.0 model but I just loved the body style with the pop up headlights and the interior was still my favorite of any car Id owned. It only had 96,200 miles on it when the transmission started slipping in 2001 so I reluctantly traded it in for $800 towards a 2001 Grand Am. To this day I wish I would have kept it and stashed it somewhere and restored it. The dealer I traded it in at put it on the bargain row for $1000 and someone bought it, according to the dealer it suffered an electrical fire after about 3 miles of driving. According to Carfax it ended up with a MO Certificate of Destruction and ended up in Perry MO at an auto recycler. Was a sad ending to a fantastic car.....had I put it away in storage to fix it up when I got older/had the money it might just still be amungst the living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back