Snowblower time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't help but notice that the consumer models are
getting lighter. Thinner metal and tube handles instead of
formed metal.
New auger designs are great however.

Mine doesn't come out until the tractor goes in.
They use the exact same storage spot.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Can't help but notice that the consumer models are
getting lighter. Thinner metal and tube handles instead of
formed metal.
New auger designs are great however.

Mine doesn't come out until the tractor goes in.
They use the exact same storage spot.

My 2¢

Yeah my dad had to weld the handles on his because they broke. The housing around the auger is rusting pretty good as well and it is only 5 years old. Thats why I bought an older one. Can always replace the engine but its hard to get good solid frames any longer.

I felt like the guy was downgrading by trading his old Toro for a new MDT, but I paid him the $75 and went on my way. It seems like the paint was better back in the day too, hardly any rust on my Toro. My guess is the good strong paint chemicals were outlawed of the original owner just took really good care of it.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I felt like the guy was downgrading by trading his old Toro for a new MDT, but I paid him the $75 and went on my way. It seems like the paint was better back in the day too, hardly any rust on my Toro. My guess is the good strong paint chemicals were outlawed of the original owner just took really good care of it.

Yup!

Yep, have to get my 3yr/old 28" Ariens Snow-tek out of the shed and get it ready. I usually pull the 18yr/old 24" Yardman out too and test run it as backup.

NONE of them are made like they used to be. I do some wrenching on OPE for family, friends and neighbors. Like said above, I do like Toro and Ariens, but I've got no problem with Husqvarna group built machines or MTD. Obviously they're flimsier, but just as basic to work on for the most part. For myself, I prefer smaller, lighter machines as they are easier on my back. Old iron beasts are fine if you add an impeller kit to them. If not, their weight and lack of throwing distance wears on you.

We've got a pair of newer Honda snowblowers at work. One a track drive, one with wheels. Both hydrostatic drives. They do throw snow better than most, but I don't care for the fact you have to drive them everywhere. You can't easily tug them around freehweel style. I have no experience with Hondas breaking because I have never broke one nor needed to work on one.

Last edited:
I'm ready with my 24" 1970's simplicity sno-away with a repowered 8hp Predator, this things a little beast
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
I'm not worried, since re-powering the ancient Ariens 24" with a Predator, I have had no starting troubles. Thanks for the reminder. I should order a belt, some extra shear bolts and drive disk, just so they won't break.

I wanted to re-power mine just because I've always thought the little 5hp Tecumseh was on the weak side but I soon found out it has dual output shafts and they don't make replacement engines with dual shafts. I seen over at the snowblower forum it can be converted but it is outside my wrenching abilities and it's not worth paying someone to do it for me.

Nice pics of some old blowers, keep them coming!

I have an early 80s Monkey Wards/ MTD that's my "favorite" as far as flinging snow into outer space. Repowered with a HF chonda, jetted rich to kill the surge. However, its basic design has flaws, notably ice forming on the roundhouse for the chute so eventually it sticks facing one way. I simply blow with that in mind.

Last winter was brutal so I got a plow truck. We'll see how much trouble I get into this year.
wink.gif

Normally I bring the snow machine out somewhere around the same time as the lawn mowers and leaf vacuum are getting put to bed for the winter. That runs anywhere from Thanksgiving to the first week of December in my neck of the woods.

Interesting reading on new vs. older snow blowers. I added an Ariens Deluxe 24 with 254 cc OHV motor last season to replace an 18 year old 26" MTD machine with 8 hp Kohler snow king motor. There was nothing wrong with that machine, but we needed an extra bit of clearance in the garage. We had very little snow last season, but enough to tell me that the new machine was prety waek in comparison to the old one. Luckily I still have both.

Last edited:
For you guys wanting to re-power older MTD and some Murray or Husqvarna group machines, just make sure to pull the belt guard and verify the OEM is a single shaft engine. Lots of older MTDs had Tecumseh Snow kings with dual, counter rotating shafts. One for the impeller/auger and one for the wheel drive. I've never done it, but these require some custom work to repower with a standard single shaft engine. My 18yr/old 24" Yardman with a 7hp Tecumseh OHV engine is a twin shaft.

My Poulan is ready to go. Oil is still good from two seasons ago, fuel is conditioned and I ran it several times briefly over the summer to ensure it starts. Its ready to go!

Brother bought the cub cadet 3x monster 420cc blower last year, I drained the OE factory fill after running abit and put in Mobil 1 5w30 for this season.

Ah snowblower season. Only thing I plan on doing is getting it out of storage position and moving it around. Stored with Stabil Ethanol Treatment, and the oil only has a couple hours on it. Greased it last year, but only used it once last year so it's good to go. Only thing I hate is the fight for space. This was last year in the garage...

yDgGtaE.jpg

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
I'm ready with my 24" 1970's simplicity sno-away with a repowered 8hp Predator, this things a little beast
smile.gif

Simplicity used to be stout machines before being bought out by B&S.

I was lucky enough to get one of the last "real" simplicity large frame machines over ten years ago. Made a few mods to it. Lined the chute with a piece of Krazy Karpet and put a piece of stainless steel on the inside of the deflector to improve movement of snow and protect the paint from being ground off.

That slippery plastic lining worked great. Never had wet snow stick to it. This machine had the B&S Koolbore 305cc that was a pretty strong engine. Check the heavy cast iron gearbox on this thing. Moved into a condo and spend winters in the south now. I almost miss snow blowing sometimes. Almost...

That plastic lining has perked my interest. I've got scraps of slick chute lining laying around in the garage, I think I might have to experiment...

I bought the Krazy Karpet because it's very slippery, durable and large enough to shape and fit into the chute. Shaping it was a bit of a chore. I used a 2x4 to mould the shape using heat to get the plastic to become a little pliable and take shape. Then I attached it to existing holes available on the chute, including one deflector screw.

Pretty sure that the plastic lining contributed significantly to the distance the machine threw snow. It wasn't uncommon to get 40' or so on a calm day with the right snow consistency.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I bought the Krazy Karpet because it's very slippery, durable and large enough to shape and fit into the chute. Shaping it was a bit of a chore. I used a 2x4 to mould the shape using heat to get the plastic to become a little pliable and take shape. Then I attached it to existing holes available on the chute, including one deflector screw.

Pretty sure that the plastic lining contributed significantly to the distance the machine threw snow. It wasn't uncommon to get 40' or so on a calm day with the right snow consistency.

Thanks for that idea and info, you gave me a pre winter snowblower project to do... I hope walmart carry's them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYhEsQekd9Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back