Motorcraft Super Duty 15w40 CJ4 CI4 Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 4 qt of Motorcraft Super Duty 15w40 CJ4/CI4 Plus for my 285k miles 7afe Corolla, do you think it would be harmful for my engine beeing a diesel engine oil?

It doesnt carry an API S certification but I think it must work for gasoline engine. In the back it says that you shouldn´t use it in gasoline engined cars that have a cat and my corolla doesn´t have a cat (it used to).

I´m currently using a HDEO 15w40 CI4/SL so thats why I bought this HDEO Motorcraft, but I would like to know if I should worry before using it in 6 weeks when it will be time for a oil change.

IM wondering about this as well. I bought a case of the 10/30 diesel very cheap for the tdi and was going to use it up with the x. I saw that it wasnt gas rated so its been sitting for a few months. Id imagine it would be ok for a reasonable interval.

I had intermittently used HDEO SAE40 CF/SC in a 1994 Mitsubishi 4G15 calling for SG, and see no problem.
Keyword is 'intermittently'.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing in that oil which would harm your engine.
The risk is that those fully formulated HDEOs can have some harmful effects on the emissions equipment (cat converters). As you've removed yours, it should be no issue whatsoever.

However, I'm curious as to why you bought the product, and only then inquired about it's applicability AFTER spending your money ... ???

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
However, I'm curious as to why you bought the product, and only then inquired about it's applicability AFTER spending your money ... ???

Because I was using already a CI4 HDEO (thats also SL rated) for high sulphur diesel and this is a CJ4 is designed for ultra low sulphur fuel so it´s closer to PCMO in terms of lower initial TBN and lower ash additives.

I´m pretty sure this Motorcraft HDEO could meet API SL or even SM certifications if they wanted to, but they didn´t do it because it wasn´t their goal.

And also because my owner´s manual calls for API SH Oil and I´m very sure that an API CJ4 is way better than an old SH oil.

Originally Posted By: Emanuel
I´m very sure that an API CJ4 is way better than an old SH oil.

I have always used API SL oil by the way, please don´t think I was using API SH oil
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back