How often on a G, do you replace vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife usually every 4-5 years.
Mine usually go 5-6 or until they die or one of my kids needs a vehicle.

When something catastrophic happens. Like the camshaft breaking in my Santa Fe after only 300,000 miles.
lol.gif

On a G? On a guess? I'm guessing. I have sold only 2 running cars. Back when I was into Bugs, 5 yrs was a mile stone. I had good stuff that would get installed on several bodies. Same with Grand Wagoneers. Their last drive was to my parts dept behind the shop.After 20 yrs of 528e s I.m parting them out,all but for 2 that will be a hotrod and parts.This yr, I bought his 'n hers Camrys.

Im 42 and since I was 16 I have had only 5 vehicles. The last one was the only one I bought new....it is 5 yrs old this year and I do want a truck. The only reason I got the new car was to get rid of a 2003 Yukon which was my favorite vehicle I have ever had. I got rid of it due to 11 to 13 mpg and gas prices at the time were really high. So now I want a truck again.
smile.gif
I just need to figure out which one.

11 cars if I am remembering correctly since 1964..my buick is a 2005 model, but my parents left it when they died...I look sometimes,,but u know,,,Im 71, not into impressing folks that don't know me......................lol

Had about 20 vehicles before I was 30...then slowed down.

6-7-13 (ish) years between bites now at a guess.

I have had about 25 vehicles since 1964. Since I am 70 this Pilot may be my last. Maybe. And the vehicles don't include motorcycles I have owned.

We typically keep a bought new car for at least twelve years and sometimes longer.
They'll remain fully functional for that length of time as long as reasonable maintenance gets done and you fix the minor stuff that breaks.
The only way to get your money out of any car is to keep it and use it.
Those who have to drive newer should look at leases, which are often a very good deal for folks who don't want to deal with the maintenance and minor repairs and replacements of wear parts inherent to an aging car.
A lot of this has to do with one's DIY ability and willingness.

I don't have a set schedule. I'm 23 and have had 5 different daily drivers now, the Jeep I don't count. The Camry is in hibernation. Hopefully I keep the Sonata for quite a while.

C'mon-this is BITOG where old cars come to die........and those of us that buy new cars are chastised (more often than not) for spending our money-on "ridiculously priced new vehicles"

And if you lease them-then the jealously REALLY COMES OUT.

When it's clearly not cost effective to keep tossing new parts into an old jalopy. An engine/trans/rear end failure on a $1K-$3K is usually about that point. Though I have been nickled and dimed for $2,000+ into the last few years of car life w/o any major systems failing. Current car 16 years old - 78K miles - and wondering when the car repair bills will start to mount? So far so good though with 8 yrs on this one...the longest I've ever owned a daily driver for. So, I'm at the limit now.

Originally Posted By: CKN
C'mon-this is BITOG where old cars come to die........and those of us that buy new cars are chastised (more often than not) for spending our money-on "ridiculously priced new vehicles"

I'm holding true. See my signature.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

Well, some folks here don't have the means to buy new at each change in the wind while others choose not to.
Leasing can make a great deal of sense for those who don't want to have to maintain a car and there are often really cheap leases on offer.
It's all a matter of what one can afford and one's FICO score as well as what one wants to spend.
Ability and willingness to DIY the inevitable maintenance and repairs is also a factor.

I am 54 years old and I am on number 42. That's not counting Motor Cycles. I have slowed way down in the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back