For those that use oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Survey...How far do you let it go on the stick before you add oil
crazy2.gif
Being a bitoger I'm at like a 3 or 4 never below that, how about you?

1 or L - that's what the OEM min is. I'll run it down to a full container on most motors.

If I know it'll be 100*F today and I'll be beating on the engine for hours working, I'll top up at 2 or 3
laugh.gif

Somewhere between 2 and 3. Granted, on my car that's the 5k mark. So I never add, I just change.

My dipstick measures 2 qts from low to full, with intermediate markings. I top off when it's at the halfway mark. I also keep my 1L top-off bottles 3/4 full to make them easier to pour. This way, I know there's minimal risk of overfilling.

Several threads on this exact topic over the past 1-2 yrs. Personally, I add around 3-4 as you do. At least that proves you're looking at it.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Survey...How far do you let it go on the stick before you add oil
crazy2.gif
Being a bitoger I'm at like a 3 or 4 never below that, how about you?

3 1/2.....unless I was changing the oil within a week or so.....I feel that the closer the oil is to full the better off the engine will be.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I feel that the closer the oil is to full the better off the engine will be.

Look at this that way...the closer to the full mark....the more oil is there to cope with heat (cooling of the engine)...that is especially important in TURBO engines...

If you are beating your engine with the oil on L mark...you will burn existing amount in the sump pretty soon...to the extent that oil mix wont be adequate (lubricity) even if you will top it of after that...

4 and never below. If below than I find the source of the leak and fix it. So far the front main seal was the culprit the worse issue other than leaky drain plug gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back