Honda 1.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
so far to me it looks like that the issue is perfectly manageable. In theory, with shortened OCI excessive engine wear should be no issue. Changing oil is very cheap - as cheap as the lunch at the average restaurant. with that said, I personally don't see any reason to stay away from certain make/model just because of FUEL DILUTION and problems down the road that may or may not happen. At the end of the day honda is not a luxury brand, Civic is not a GTR by any means and costs "only" 20K (at least the one I got). in 5 years it will become outdated and I will definitely will be ready for something new.

btw, I have around 2k on my current fill and did an oil drop test - looks like if there's any fuel in oil at all than it is minimal. I know it's not the most accurate tool to access the FD severity but still gives and idea on what's going on with oil

27k here mostly on 0/40, dilutes but other than that never been back to the dealer..I'm sticking to my plan to draw off 1.5 qts and replace with 1 qt fresh in the cold for 8-9k, filter 20k then test.

It seemed to be a problem with my 2014 2.4 DI accord. Seemed to run rough,hot,and a little noisey. Otoh great mpg and power. Fuel always smelled like gasoline.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
This is probably a "what you don't know, won't hurt you" sorta thing. The CR-V can still be had with a 2.4L engine in the base LX trim in both FWD and AWD.
But don't expect a Honda 1.5 T engine to last as long as say a Civic from yesteryear with a port injected engine.
The 2.4 is DI that's the problem.

A similar option would be to extract the diluted fill at about 3,000 miles and refill with fresh oil.

The wife's turbocharged Santa Fe is notoriously short tripped and idled...runs like a top as have all my Hyundai (4). Don't let all our posts of LSPI, fuel dilution and intake valve deposits deter you from a nice vehicle. 99.9% owners of these vehicles have no clue about any of this and many have now owned there vehicle for over 100k miles. These forums exist to inform other's of possible issues, but as so often occurs, these posts scare folks away because we exacerbate said challenges. Buy your TGDI vehicle, use a Dexos1 Gen2 oil with decent oci in mind and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Eventually you will run out of brands to go to.

LOL as long as what I have keeps running that's not a issue but your right I probably only have 175,000K left. Only about 14.5 years.

Last edited:
another thing I've noticed about Honda's 1.5T is the system suspends quite a bit of oil...they rec you check level after 3 min (does't say how long after) but the difference between that and over nite can be .25 qt. by my account.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Too many compromises being made. Automakers aren't willing to require high octane fuel, EPA says low emissions, and downsizing with a turbo means very high effective compression ratio.

I'd like to see one of these extreme diluters retuned around E85. It has the massive cooling effect and is very knock-resistant. Tweak the transmission to move the shift points up a bit and test. I bet dilution would be greatly reduced. If not the ethanol portion of the fuel would evaporate right out to be collected by the pcv system once the engine warmed up.

Since a majority of Honda's R&D and US manufacturing is in Ohio and Indiana, they might as well market their turbos to be flex-fuel - they do sell flex-fuel examples of the Civic and Accord in Brazil.

I think Honda's MO with setting their TGDI engines more to the rich side to use regular and negating the benefit that DI does provide which is stratified lean-burn is to make their cars look better on paper when it comes to TCO. The old tuner's motto of lean is mean is certainly true with forced induction. I wonder if Honda's strategy of shooting more fuel under boost is to provide more of a "cooling" effect in the cylinder bores in order to keep the pistons intact?

GM is now making a hard line of requiring premium in their TGDI engines. I wonder if Acuras are prone to the same fuel dilution if Honda flashes a premium fuel calibration in the PCM. There has to be a different way to keep an engine from being reduced to slag under boost with regular than injecting more fuel. Didn't Saab use a ECM-controlled wastegate with spark ionization detection to allow their engines to run on regular, while Ford and Hyundai use an ignition timing strategy to counter knock if regular is being used in a TGDI engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I've owned Hondas and Acuras for 27 years, and the introduction of the turbocharged fours has made me scratch the Accord off my future purchase list. I was looking forward to buying the 2.4 one of these days. I feel the same way about Infiniti moving to turbocharged fours made by M-B. That's called progress?

The Camry still has NA engines. 2.5L I4 or 3.5L V6
smile.gif

I also agree with you on Infiniti using Benz engines. Nissan is degrading themselves by using unreliable Mercedes engines instead of real Nissan engines. While Nissan is no Toyota, they are still miles ahead of any German company. And Nissan has made some awesome turbo-4's in the past! The legendary SR20DET, for example
19.gif

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Fuel always smelled like gasoline.

I hope gasoline smells like gasoline
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I also agree with you on Infiniti using Benz engines. Nissan is degrading themselves by using unreliable Mercedes engines instead of real Nissan engines. While Nissan is no Toyota, they are still miles ahead of any German company. And Nissan has made some awesome turbo-4's in the past! The legendary SR20DET, for example
19.gif

Carlos Ghosn should have laid Infiniti out to pasture, scratch that, even before that. They lost the Japanese luxury game to Lexus. Nissan hasn't really done anything meaningful to their engine lineup to keep them competitive.

You also forgot the VG30 series and the RB series. The VG30s might be gruff compared to Toyota's VZ/MZ V6s, but they were a solid engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

19.gif

Carlos Ghosn should have laid Infiniti out to pasture, scratch that, even before that. They lost the Japanese luxury game to Lexus. Nissan hasn't really done anything meaningful to their engine lineup to keep them competitive.

You also forgot the VG30 series and the RB series. The VG30s might be gruff compared to Toyota's VZ/MZ V6s, but they were a solid engine.

Oh yeah of course the RB is awesome! The VG30 isn't bad, either. They had so many good engines 20 years ago! I just mentioned the SR20 as the most important in this discussion since turbo-4's are so popular today, especially the 2.0L turbo variety. Almost everybody has a 2.0T somewhere in their current lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back