PZ Ultra Platinum /1.5 Ecoboost Fusion - 30k mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 5w-20 going to become a unicorn? The local Canadian Tires, if I recall correctly, no longer carry the 5w-20 in PP or PU, with only the 0w-20 available. Here, of course, the 10w-30 synthetics are difficult to find, too.

0W20 will work just fine in a 5W20 application, and a 10k OCI too unless your IOLM complains it wants an earlier change.

The OCI average for most of the EcoBoost engines is ~10,000 miles based on IOLM. And it'll do that with a Motorcraft filter (the smaller ones like the FL-810S haven't seen issues in the last couple years IIRC) and semi-synthetic 5W20 Motorcraft oil. Shoot, someone hooned (and I mean drove hard) their 2013 Focus ST 2.0L Ecoboost north of 250k miles with M1EP and 15k OCIs, and it's still running fine. See focusst.org for that.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Is the 5w-20 going to become a unicorn? The local Canadian Tires, if I recall correctly, no longer carry the 5w-20 in PP or PU, with only the 0w-20 available. Here, of course, the 10w-30 synthetics are difficult to find, too.

Would make sense to not sell 5W's come fall season in a number of Canadian markets when 0W reduces complaints and is otherwise equivalent.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Now how does any oil keep carbon deposits from getting on intake valves? I didn't think any oil should be coming in contact with the inlet side of the valve?

Has nothing to do with Noack. It has to do with the fuel and oil used achieving solvency as the engine overlaps the valves to simulate EGR function. There's an official paper somewhere in wild wild west GM officially published.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsnews/1366531-dirty-valves-and-direct-injection

There's a few things, you can see he almost wants to reveal, but those who know keep it close to the heart. Shame.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
0W20 will work just fine in a 5W20 application, and a 10k OCI too unless your IOLM complains it wants an earlier change.

The OCI average for most of the EcoBoost engines is ~10,000 miles based on IOLM. And it'll do that with a Motorcraft filter (the smaller ones like the FL-810S haven't seen issues in the last couple years IIRC) and semi-synthetic 5W20 Motorcraft oil. Shoot, someone hooned (and I mean drove hard) their 2013 Focus ST 2.0L Ecoboost north of 250k miles with M1EP and 15k OCIs, and it's still running fine. See focusst.org for that.

FL-920S - the 800 series Motorcrafts apparently still have tearing issues inherited from their manufacturer, and I can't correct that post. Apologies for making a wrong statement for people to accidentally google and follow.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Burt
Now how does any oil keep carbon deposits from getting on intake valves? I didn't think any oil should be coming in contact with the inlet side of the valve?

By resisting evaporation with a low Noack.
The crankcase Blowby isn't NOACK.

Originally Posted By: justinkk2005

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
The UOA looks great, Justin. Thanks for sharing!

- Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Thank you for making a great oil, however, PLEASE work on making it more available! It's such a pain to find in stores and online. Wal-Mart.com says they do not carry 5W20 anymore?

I realize this post is old, but I wanted to echo the same sentiment.

Id LOVE to use Ultra Platinum in any one of my 3 vehicles, but Im pretty sure I could win the lotto while riding a unicorn before Ill ever be able to find PUP in 5w-20 or 5w-30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back