FL400S Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Purolater= pure oil later, if at all

Pure oil later, when you use something that doesn't tear.

Do transmissions push the fluid at higher pressures and volumes? I have a hard time blaming the oil filter since it’s being used outside it’s design parameters. Also curious if the fluid itself or even the temperatures could affect the filter.

Originally Posted By: Onug
I have a hard time blaming the oil filter since it’s being used outside it’s design parameters.

I guess you missed his later pics showing no glue at the split wear the seams meet?

Do transmissions push the fluid at higher pressures and volumes? I have a hard time blaming the oil filter since it’s being used outside it’s design parameters. Also curious if the fluid itself or even the temperatures could affect the filter.

Oh yeah they do. But it shouldn't be in the cooler loop. They will hit 250 to 300psi internally when commanding shifts. But the cooler loop is not like that and more like 30 to 40psi. And the temps post-cooler should be moderate presuming that installation.

We don't know how the OP installed this or in what, he was vague. Sounds like a Toyota or Lexus, though. Problems with an aftermarket mount, lines, etc. could explain it. But, I used to use this filter but quit because they would not hold oil overnight after 2k miles installed - the ADBV or base would just leak down. The massive number of Purolator failures is becoming legion. The OP can explain the installation more but the suspicion falls more on Purolator (and Motorcraft for not rectifying it when they've known about the issue for a few years now).

I just wonder why Motorcraft doesn't care. They have known about it for years, they know consumers know - or at least the informed minority. And they do nothing. Seems like the spirit of Lee Iacocca is alive and well.

interesting.

I have a FL910s on my truck after the trans cooler, perhaps i should change it out early and cut it apart to see whatsup.

Good news is, it has an internal bypass valve that will allow the ATF to bypass the filter if delta-p becomes excessive. I didn't see any signs of media collapse, or even media degradation-just the usual Puro FAIL.

How do these Fram and Wix seams look? Filter on the right did a year on 4L60e transmission

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I guess I better pull my FL-400S off of my engine..........NOT!

It actually sounds like a reasonable course of action given that picture, don't you think?

BOF - Do as you see fit. It is your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

That's absolutely right, it's MY vehicle!
smirk.gif
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

That's absolutely right, it's MY vehicle!
smirk.gif
coffee2.gif

Cut and post when you do your next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back