Is Your Vehicle Manufactured with Kobe Steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.businessinsider.com/japans-kobe-steel-cheat-data-products-10-years-2017-10

Quote:
...The revelations on Oct. 8 that the firm had falsified data on product quality and specifications have sent a chill through supply chains around the world in a fresh blow to Japan's reputation as a high-quality manufacturing destination.

No safety problems have surfaced as Kobe Steel attempts to confirm the extent of the data tampering. The government has ordered the company to address safety concerns within about two weeks and report on how the misconduct occurred in a month.

Most of the problems have occurred in the company's aluminum and copper business, where many of the products are made to specifications required by automakers and other companies. But cases of falsified data have also been found in its steel and other businesses...

Toyota's response;
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/mail/19202565

At the rate my Journey is going I think even if it was made with Kobe steel it would be the least of its problems.
lol.gif

Hmmm, my Scion was made in Japan in 2012, so maybe?
Aluminum hoods and hatches seem to be the big components, and I know my hatch is steel, no idea on my hood.
The "other components" is the big question.

Both Foresters might have been since both were made in Japan.
Most models of most Japanese brands sold here are made here, so there should be no concern for most.
I'd be more concerned about flying on an airliner with Japanese sourced airframe parts.
Even in that case though, the inspection intervals should reveal any excess fatigue cracking in Japanese sourced parts.
OTOH, while skin cracks would be obvious and would be detected, there are parts that are structurally vital that'll never be seen in anything less than the equivalent of a D-check, which is pretty much a complete teardown of the frame.
Rest assured that both Airbus and Boeing are aware of this potential problem as are the airlines.
Probably a non-issue for most users and uses but still a disturbing look into Japanese corporate culture.
They're apparently as dishonest as any German, American or Chinese company, the firms of all of which have participated in faking compliance with various regulatory requirements.
What bothers me here is the revelation that nobody is clean and everybody lies.

Having worked for a now defunct part supplier for the automotive industry making powertrain components (don't want to get more specific due to a buttload of NDAs), you would be shocked at the quality of some of the stock and rough machined pieces that would come into that place - it seemed like nobody wanted to take the hit on scrapping a piece due to defects and cracks, so they'd just pass the buck along the line. There were days where quotas were not made just due to bad stock. Was the supplier to blame? No - whoever had the misfortune of having their initials/QC code on the piece got blamed/written up/fired, and usually before they hit 90 days. If you rejected too many pieces on QC, you got written up, moved, or fired.

This reminds me of another Japanese firm that cheated, Koito Passenger seats for jets, IMO falsified testing to make shipments.

Quote:
If you rejected too many pieces on QC, you got written up, moved, or fired.

That is stupid, when you reject so many, then alarms should sound and prod halted until management finds a solution. I work in another field of Automotive supply chain (tier 1), and man we charge the [censored] out of the suppliers that deliver defective goods!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Both Foresters might have been since both were made in Japan.
Most models of most Japanese brands sold here are made here, so there should be no concern for most.
I'd be more concerned about flying on an airliner with Japanese sourced airframe parts.
Even in that case though, the inspection intervals should reveal any excess fatigue cracking in Japanese sourced parts.
OTOH, while skin cracks would be obvious and would be detected, there are parts that are structurally vital that'll never be seen in anything less than the equivalent of a D-check, which is pretty much a complete teardown of the frame.
Rest assured that both Airbus and Boeing are aware of this potential problem as are the airlines.
Probably a non-issue for most users and uses but still a disturbing look into Japanese corporate culture.
They're apparently as dishonest as any German, American or Chinese company, the firms of all of which have participated in faking compliance with various regulatory requirements.
What bothers me here is the revelation that nobody is clean and everybody lies.

Could my '09 Forester be effected?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
At the rate my Journey is going I think even if it was made with Kobe steel it would be the least of its problems.
lol.gif

Yeah, the Journey is far from the jewel of the Chrysler lineup, what compelled you to get that instead of say a Cherokee, Durango or Grand Cherokee?

Generally, my impression has been that the vehicles that are built on Mercedes gear tended to be the better ones. From the Charger/Challenger/300 then on to the Durango/Grand Cherokee, this seemed to hold quite true. Talking to my mechanics at the dealership, this is generally the consensus that they are the "better" products in the portfolio, along with the trucks.

I didn't have the $$$ at the time because I was just coming off a year of disability from a bad back injury, I was switching jobs because of physical limitations I now have with my back, I got a great discount because my dad is a retiree of Chrysler and the Santa Fe had just died and I needed something "on the lot" and I had some major expenses at the rental property. It was a bad year!

As soon as it's paid for in 2 years I'm going to give it to Adam and then get something else more dependable to make my money in. He commutes 10km to work and back round trip.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I didn't have the $$$ at the time because I was just coming off a year of disability from a bad back injury, I was switching jobs because of physical limitations I now have with my back, I got a great discount because my dad is a retiree of Chrysler and the Santa Fe had just died and I needed something "on the lot" and I had some major expenses at the rental property. It was a bad year!

As soon as it's paid for in 2 years I'm going to give it to Adam and then get something else more dependable to make my money in. He commutes 10km to work and back round trip.
smile.gif

Ahh, makes sense. It just sucks that that's your "experience", as I would never suggest that as a barometer for product quality unless one intentionally wanted to set the bar low
lol.gif

We are actually considering trading the Durango......

In on another Durango
wink.gif
Wife wants a V8 again. The Pentastar gets fantastic gas mileage, but really doesn't have the passing power that comes with the 5.7L. We love everything else about the vehicle, it has been fantastic.

Yeah there are vehicles from ChryCo I would recommend that have the Pentastar V6's and the V8's but for me fuel is on my dime so 4 cylinder or really good efficient 6 is what I need as a daily commuter.

I'm downtown Toronto on most travel days with my new job and it's a lot of stop/go driving so a 4 banger is fine. I will most likely go back to either Hyundai (without GDI) or go for a Rav 4 / Honda Element. Depends on how my back feels with the model. I have chronic daily pain that I have to keep in check.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

That is stupid, when you reject so many, then alarms should sound and prod halted until management finds a solution. I work in another field of Automotive supply chain (tier 1), and man we charge the [censored] out of the suppliers that deliver defective goods!

I use to worked for a Fortune 50 company that on paper has all the ISO and quality control corporate gibberish speak and it is all B.S.

Guys that actually stand up and follow corporate policy of "no defect" will get the pat on the head and "good boy" accolades for everybody to see, but sure is funny 9 out of 10 who do, find themselves on the top of the next layoff list.

No I got hurt at work. I had something heavy fall on me and I went flying backwards and landed like a ton of bricks on my lower back and blew 3 discs and slightly fractured 3 vertebrae. It was just a freak accident.

I'm just happy to be walking again because for 8 months it was hard to make it more than 10 feet at a time without needing to lay down and take the pressure off. It was really bad.

Found a great physiotherapist and well I'm back to work and as long as I'm careful I can manage without medication for the pain. There are times I overdo it and well I'm in heap loads of pain. I'm lucky I can still work on the car because laying flat on my back doesn't affect it. It's just sitting in certain positions (poor posture) or standing/walking for too long. (Usually I can muster an hour at a time).

Sales is perfect because it's mostly sitting and talking / having meetings.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I think my Tacoma is OK because the frames are sourced from Dana within the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back