over torqued transfer case drain plug borgwarner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my transfer case(borgwarner 4485) fluid changed by a buddy, he over torqued the drain plug and i noticed that i can see metal shavings in the corner of the bolt where its threaded into the transfer case. the fill plug was torqued properly. i also see that the drain plug is further into the threads then the fill plug.

its not leaking atm, and i dont think ill ever have to change the fluid again. is this something to worry about? there seemed to be some type of thread sealent/teflon tape that was reused.

is this something to worry about?

Don't post the same topic in two threads, please.

Not just here, in any forum. You will annoy people who might otherwise help, so it's not going to help you get answers. Ask the Moderators to delete one.

Originally Posted By: apollo18
I got my transfer case(borgwarner 4485) fluid changed by a buddy, he over torqued the drain plug and i noticed that i can see metal shavings in the corner of the bolt where its threaded into the transfer case. the fill plug was torqued properly. i also see that the drain plug is further into the threads then the fill plug.

its not leaking atm, and i dont think ill ever have to change the fluid again. is this something to worry about? there seemed to be some type of thread sealent/teflon tape that was reused.

is this something to worry about?

It's a problem if it leaks, or if you ever have to change the fluid again. If it isn't leaking, and you don't plan on changing the fluid again as you stated then I'd probably leave well enough alone. OTOH if it was something I planned on keeping and wanted to have the option to change the fluid again I'd deal with it accordingly.

Originally Posted By: apollo18
ahh sorry about thtat, must have forgot i posted

How can you forget, both posts are in the same minute.

If it's pipe thread you get metal-on-metal which is what makes the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back